+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 228 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

Re: The Next Food Network Star

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2478384;
    The points you have cited are exactly why this move was not a "mistake". There was calculation and determination behind his actions. And I am still a fan of his cooking styles (even though I could never get anywhere near his style...nor would I want to. I am not into complex cooking.) I just don't like it when people try to play other people for stupid. Why would he think his info would not be thoroughly researched? Idiot. :nono
    You're absolutely right, prhoshay. I mis-wrote. The only "mistake" Jag made was thinking his lies would not be discovered. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;2478341;
    I think the competition is Amy's to lose, assuming she can get that "snob" element of her personality under control.
    It cracks me up how any time someone uses a French word on this show (and -- horror or horrors! -- pronounces it correctly), the judges call them out for snobbery. I mean, what's wrong with French?

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;2478341;
    A Paul/Amy finale would have been the best matchup IMHO...
    That would've been sweet! (But would've made the voting très difficile for moi!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2478428;
    It cracks me up how any time someone uses a French word on this show (and -- horror or horrors! -- pronounces it correctly), the judges call them out for snobbery. I mean, what's wrong with French?
    I know! Mario Batali doesn't get blamed for being a snob when his show was all about using Italian things, language and food. It must be the hidden inferiority complex that Americans generally have about French. Or is it general dislike?

FORT Regular

About Amy and her so called snobbery. I noticed it the very first part of the competition. It seemed the judges called her on right away, and after that, I'd forgotten it was Amy who made a big deal out of having studied cooking in France. Yes she talked about the French way of cooking, but she didn't really make that much of a deal about once the judges told her how it looked. I think she really watched it after that.

Like Ellen just said, what's wrong with her using French terms if she pronounces them right? And why does pronouncing French correctly automatically make her a snob?

I thought Colombe was a snob and obviously couldn't work well with anyone, but the judges kept giving her chances. Yes I know that Amy got all the chances she could get, but she earned them by turning out good food and doing her demonstrations right.

And just to set the record straight, I didn't mean to come across like I always disliked JAG. I didn't like him at first, and almost immediately after it started someone here posted that he'd lied about his cooking Marine experience. I wasn't liking him then, and didn't want to add to my feelings, so didn't read the link. After a few challenges I did start to like him, and could see the good qualities the judges were saying about him. At times he was fun to watch.

I thought Tommy was really gracious in his answer when the judges asked him about how Colombe was to work with. He said she did the best she could with what she had. He didn't badmouth her the way she did him when she got the chance. Watching how Colombe operated during that wedding catering challenge just made Amy shine all the more! Her team said she was a great leader! That was when I started liking Amy, though I can't honestly say she was my fave until the last couple of challenges. I do think she also did a great job with Rory making the lasagne at Fort Dix. They were somewhat of an odd couple, but both of them made it work. I thought it was cute the way Amy said it helped that Rory is stacked when she commented about their dish presentation.

I thought both Amy and Rory shined as a team in that challenge, but only Paul shined in their presentation, although JAG pulled them out of the meatloaf situation even though he couldn't do it without throwing a fit first.

I finally watched the last show and I have to say that I was absolutely stunned that they let Amy go in the first place. How could they justify that? They said that she shone all the way through and has never really made a misstep and they reward that by eliminating her because shes "snobby?" Right.. and Giada or that Barefoot Contessa woman aren't? Whatever. Amy is more down to earth than either of those.

Everything about that scene with JAG coming clean felt staged and scripted to me, from his careful wording to his overly sincere face to the way the "judges" just sat there and tried to look... constipated. The only reason they even did this was because it came out, otherwise he would have won.

About the final challenge, I hated the vibe when either JAG or Rory were on there. They were both too loud, too in your face, too rushed, just too much.

Hope Amy wins and I would have loved a Paul/Amy final.

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

I too would have loved an Amy and Paul final but I would have had a hard time choosing who to vote for.

Amy was so good throughout, I can't imagine her not winning, let alone why they eliminated her in the first place!

And I never noticed her "snobbery". I have noticed, like my fellow posters, that people seem to call it snobbery when anything French is involved. Personally I never got that vibe from Amy and I think her food always looked good. Plus she has a great on camera personality!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2476784;
    Of the two, I certainly like Amy better than Rory, but wish Amy would quit using goat cheese all the time.
    I have been wondering what the big deal is about goat cheese. It seems like they use it all the time.

rt1ky - Yeah, I've thought it would be cool to try out for the competition. I used to sell Pampered Chef so I got a taste of cooking and demonstrating in front of a room full of people and it was a lot of fun! I would be too chicken to actually try out for something like this though.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2478679;
    rt1ky - Yeah, I've thought it would be cool to try out for the competition. I used to sell Pampered Chef so I got a taste of cooking and demonstrating in front of a room full of people and it was a lot of fun! I would be too chicken to actually try out for something like this though.
    If you did, you know you'd have the FORT vote!

Didn't Giada study in France. The Barefoot Contessa talks about her travels to France. Maybe it's not the French aspect, but that Amy can sound a bit condescending. Sometimes I feel that way about Ina Garten as well.

Thanks, Ellen for the ricotta suggestion...

Yes, the mistake Jag made, was to lie in the first place!!! Pretty pathetic, and then spend so much time 'crying' and apologizing for other things...

He has been rightfully stuffed in the garbage...

But, still as much as I love his getting his comeuppance, I hate Paul getting the short end of the stick...

I would really have loved seeing him interacting with Rachael Ray...

I think everything is pretty well anticlimactic at this point...

I voted once, and that was half heartedly, and I almost voted again to cancel that vote, so I am merely a bystander at this point...

On to Hell's kitchen and Top Chef! Full speed ahead...

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

And JAG's withdrawal is so fake too. He didn't just find out that he misrepresented the facts. If he were to withdraw, he should have done that a long time ago. Obviously, he didn't think it was necessary. That probably suggests that the confrontation was scripted and his withdrawal was almost compulsory.

I'm an Amy fan, and I'm so anxious to see the finale!!! It ain't over for me yet!

+ Reply to Thread