+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 228 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

Re: The Next Food Network Star

I give JAG credit for listening to judges and trying to learn. But that's not an excuse for him to make bad food. Among three dishes, none of them was great. In fact, I think the soup was neutral (though not carribbean), but two of them were straight out bad. Simple or complicated, the food must be good.

I never noticed Amy's teeth until reading this board. Then finally I saw them last night. They aren't that bad, but I do hope that she would get the invisble braces for the show if she wins. They don't bother me, but it would do her good in terms of self esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. tino;2466759;
    I hope Amy wins now. Her commentary was good... I think she would be entertaining on her own show. And I like her better than the other two who are leftover.
    I had my eye on Amy from the beginning, and I think the judges did too. I really hope she wins, as she is the only one left whose show I would even consider watching. Also I think she is the nicest and most stable one left, so I'd be happy for her if she wins.

I actually watched a Guy Fieri show the other weekend. Deep fried Szechuan green beans.

FORT Fanatic

Re: Jag

Quote Originally Posted by peach;2466593;
    Well I am going to go out on a limb here and support Jag.
    However; in Jag, I see a true passion for food. He has proven himself more than once to think quickly on his feet and come up with amazing food. I think that he was really trying to take to heart all the criticisms that he got last week from the judges for making his food too complicated, and in trying to switch gears, he totally went off the road. Unlike most, I do enjoy seeing him on camera as his love of food truly comes through when he is focused on his cooking. Asking him to simplyfy his recipes really threw him off, but I give him credit to finally listening to the judges and attempting to grow and learn from the experience.

J MHO......

Great post, and I agree with you. I also agree with Prhoshay who said...talent, potential, and his own worst enemy.

Exactly.

It's always pretty obvious who the judges consider to be the real contenders as they winnow out the weak ones. In Amy and Jag they have two professionally trained cooks with the knowledge and the skills to cook well. Camera savvy can be learned, assuming the potential is there. Remember that scatty brained, flappity Colombe was warned that she lacked authority and confidence on camera. She would never have improved in that area. Jag does exude authority in the kitchen, and the passion and creativity with food-the stuff that cant be taught, and clearly the judges expected him to do well-they've told him "we know you have the cooking chops" and Bobby Flay said, I expected you to crush this challenge.

Complicated recipes dont bother me-there are enough 'simple food' shows already.

Doesnt matter in the end, though. He's emotionally too fragile and unstable and immature to run his own show. He sure has turned off all the folks here on FORT, and it's a shame because he did have the potential to break out on the show.

Bottom line is, they need a skilled, knowledgeable, creative cook that can learn to teach and speak well on camera (and is easy to work with). I think Amy is the only one they have left that has potential to do it all.
    Last edited by onewally; 07-10-2007 at 04:43 AM.

Though I like JAG's pre-"dumbed down" recipes, his high-maintenence primadonna -- and now condescending -- personality/attitude is a real turnoff.
    As onewally posted:
    Doesnt matter in the end, though. He's emotionally too fragile and unstable and immature to run his own show. He sure has turned off all the folks here on FORT, and it's a shame because he did have the potential to break out on the show.
    Also:
    Complicated recipes dont bother me-there are enough 'simple food' shows already.
    Thank you! I'm a "home cook," but I'm no dummy! (Really, I have the papers to prove it!) And just as important, I've been watching and learning from Food Network for years. If the hosts of these shows are such good teachers (and many are), then wouldn't it follow that their viewers learned something and are ready to "graduate" to something that demonstrates a higher skill level or a longer ingredient list? "Home cook" does not mean "perpetually in cooking kindergarten."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

*giggling at the perpetually in cooking kindergarten*

And you are absolutely right! Even my 4-year old runs around asking to help me cook, he's been watching Food Network with my husband and me since he was born! He will tell you that he is being a chef "just like on food network!".

Point is, that most of us aren't new to watching this channel and therefore we've all picked up tips, terms, techniques and can handle a more advanced show.

However, the dumbing down? I think that's more the producers fault than anything. How many times has JAG been told that the average FN viewer wouldn't get his show unless he brought it out of the professional chef level?

from Harmony2000:
    However, the dumbing down? I think that's more the producers fault than anything. How many times has JAG been told that the average FN viewer wouldn't get his show unless he brought it out of the professional chef level?
    Oh yeah -- I agree with that: that the producers told him to simplify things. My contention is with statements that JAG made about home cooks, such as (paraphrasing here):
    "Oh yeah, I assumed I was talking to professional chefs when it should be home cooks." or
    "I wanted to go all out, but I tried to keep it simple for the home cook."
    etc.
    Of course, he may have been parroting what he understood from the producers and judges -- but he's the one that we hear expressing that attitude.

So he may have the right recipes and techniques for people ready for a more advanced show, but his temper problems are still a hiring liability. The editors can always edit out his tantrums, but do TPTB really want that sort of headache on their hands?

Oh -- almost forgot to add:
    Kudos on your future Food Network star!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

LOL! Thanks, I have these funny photos of him wearing his chef hat and helping us cook. We tape together a couple of sheets of paper towels and he wears it on his head. Too funny!

I wonder if Emerill or Bobby had temper tantrums in the start of their TV careers? They seem the type as does Giada.

Maybe they see JAGs emotional instability as an example of his passion for cooking? While the majority of us see it more as a liability? Seriously, do you want to work with an unstable person around a bunch of knives? And... this is nitpicking (I KNOW) but he talks too fast! I'm probably generalizing/stereotyping here but I'm not sure how many viewers would be interested in somebody on superfast mode. It's irritating. BUT.. he does have really good recipes and maybe with training can overcome the rest of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2467775;
    I think that's more the producers fault than anything. How many times has JAG been told that the average FN viewer wouldn't get his show unless he brought it out of the professional chef level?
    I didn't get the impression that the producers assumed home cooks to be simple and dumb. I thought it was the function of the tasks. Creating a 3- or 5-minute cooking demonstration sets a limit to what can be done right. JAG's recipes were way too complicated to demonstrate and teach correctly within the time limit. I thought the judges' suggestions to make it simple was a message to him to know the limitations and adjust to the circumstances. "Dumbing it down for the home cooks" was done by JAG.

peachroses

Speaking of Jag....... what I meant to say in my earlier post is that I think he is very talented, but his talent may not be appropriate for a cooking show. I think he is better suited for a Latin Cuisine restaurant that allows him to express his creativity. He may hell in the kitchen, but after a few evenings of watching Hell's Kitchen, I am not sure that is that unusual.
    Because I said so ....

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2467859;
    I didn't get the impression that the producers assumed home cooks to be simple and dumb. I thought it was the function of the tasks. Creating a 3- or 5-minute cooking demonstration sets a limit to what can be done right. JAG's recipes were way too complicated to demonstrate and teach correctly within the time limit. I thought the judges' suggestions to make it simple was a message to him to know the limitations and adjust to the circumstances. "Dumbing it down for the home cooks" was done by JAG.
    It also was the 27 or more ingredients in one dish and a rushed, incomplete explination of some sauce he used.

The recipe has to be able to be followed on TV, at least enough for the person to want to go to the computer and download the entire recipe.

He was so resistent at first to change his style and complexity, I think he went over the top to simplify a recipe.

+ Reply to Thread