+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

Re: The Next Food Network Star

No posts on tonight's episode? Twitter was *insane*...all sorts of tweets.

Very happy with first bootee. Although there are several more who I'd like to see disappear...

Saw it, pretty interesting first episode. Early favorite is Orchid, but already holding soft spots for Alicia, Jyll and Whitney. Justin B. is stiff as a board and Juba is a mess, but I'll give them a break. I did not like Howie at all, with his attitude and Jyll doing almost everything for him, so I'm glad he's gone. Chris has a huge ego, he's irritating me.

But none can compare to Penny, who's venomous like a box jellyfish, and has the body of one to boot. My gosh, what is this woman's damage? Her hatred of Alicia just came out of nowhere, but I suspect she's jealous of Alicia's looks. Just her constant verbal jabs at Alicia and actually trying to sabotage the team dish was disgusting. I have never seen a person so full of hate for someone else in this show, and it's just the first episode alone. I want her gone!

Oh, it starts tonight? Good thing I checked here. Luckily, I'm on the West Coast; it's on in ten minutes.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I enjoyed this new episode and must agree with Rembrant about Penny. Good lord but she's an angry jealous woman. There was no need for all those mean remarks she made about Alicia. And I really don't like women who have to shove "sex" in my face. She used the word sexy a million times and apparently thinks she represents "sexy."....not in my book! When she gave that 'come hither" look over her shoulder, I thought I was looking at Medusa.
    I liked most of the people tonight and agree with who they sent home. He's good with a microphone, camera and confident but can't cook and needs too much help. Although Jyll was too much of an enabler.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of this season as there seems to be a lot more competent contenders than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    But none can compare to Penny, who's venomous like a box jellyfish, and has the body of one to boot. My gosh, what is this woman's damage? Her hatred of Alicia just came out of nowhere, but I suspect she's jealous of Alicia's looks. Just her constant verbal jabs at Alicia and actually trying to sabotage the team dish was disgusting. I have never seen a person so full of hate for someone else in this show, and it's just the first episode alone. I want her gone!
    So I'm curious...what do you think of her "poor poor pitiful me" thing at the end with the judges? After 2 hrs of venom (and what she considered "sexiness"), it seemed out of character.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    So I'm curious...what do you think of her "poor poor pitiful me" thing at the end with the judges? After 2 hrs of venom (and what she considered "sexiness"), it seemed out of character.
    Well, that makes her as two-faced as Batman's villain. She's mouthy, loud and hateful towards Alicia in front of everyone else, but puts on the meek woe-is-me act in front of the judges.

Shhhhh....I haven't watched yet! Now tell me more. So now I know who the villain is, can't wait to watch her in action. And who the "poor widdle ol' me" character is. They always have characters, don't they? What role does the bald guy with the really stinky promo attitude play? My husband says that this guy has been on the network before doing some challenge or something.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I'm not liking very many of the people. Too many of them are like Penny - over the top and brash.
    The bald guy, Vic Vegas, was on some competition on FN before. I think he was there with his family.

I think the biggest problem I have with FN these days is that a majority of their hosts are loud, brash and in your face. That's why I seldom watch FN these days.
    The programmers there, like Bob and Susie, seem to think everybody in America wants to be entertained by loud and unlikeable people.
    Perhaps I'm in the minority, but it's a turnoff to me.
    Whitney, Penny and several others may have been competent chefs, but I would never watch a show they hosted. They turned me off too much.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    The programmers there, like Bob and Susie, seem to think everybody in America wants to be entertained by loud and unlikeable people.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but it's a turnoff to me.
    Count me in that minority! I blame the Jersey shows! Oh and the Housewives. And Kate plus eight minus one plus who cares (LOL). Those people are HUGELY popular and they are loud, obnoxious, in your face and so it tells the people in charge that we must all like that kind of thing.

Uh. No. Not all of us.

I only watch challenges on FN because I like Keegan and Claire and the others who host those types of shows. They aren't as loud.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I am rather surprised by how many people got turned off by a lot of the contestants as a whole. I admit a few tried to be a bit over-the-top, but for most, it does seem like they're trying a bit too hard to make a good first impression, and I have faith that they can reign it in. I actually found the mayority of them either likeable or at least tolerable. The three I found really jerky were obnoxious jock Chris, useless Howie and especially nasty Penny. The rest I'm mostly okay with, while Orchid, Alicia, Jyll, Whitney and Jeff are my early favorites.

+ Reply to Thread