+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

Re: The Next Food Network Star

Caught a few minutes of Aarti's show. She seemed a bit nervous, but was also very cheery.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I didn't think Aarti seemed nervous at all. I thought she looked like a pro. I found her very engaging. (There was an annoying shadow that kept falling from one of her ringlets - I found that distracting - but that was a lighting issue.) I'm not a big fan of Indian food. I won't be making her sloppy joes, but the kale salad looked delicious, and I'll definitely be making the cardamom/Earl Grey ice cream (those are two of my favorite flavors).

Hubby and I watched the show; overall, it was better than we'd expected. My husband has been wanting to tackle Indian cooking -- we loved the flavors at a place in our neighborhood -- so we watched. Right now, he's at the market picking up ingredients to make the sloppy joe's for lunch. I'm opening the wine.
    Surprisingly, we already have most of the ingredients!

Later this week, I'll pick up kale after work to try the salad.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Oh, I missed the Aarti Paarti, got to make sure I catch it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by biggbaddgirl;4045745;
    Oh, I missed the Aarti Paarti, got to make sure I catch it next week.
    Its Aarti party now and it did go well. When I said nervous, maybe it was her still being new to it that showed. But I thought she was engaging and fun.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I thought her show was very good! I thought she held her own pretty nicely! Indian cooking seems much sweeter than anything my tastebuds would prefer, but I'd still try it if it were authentically prepared. I am not big on sweet and savory together.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm going to try that "massaged kale" salad. That looked good!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Kale with mango? I love kale; I love mango....as two separate dishes....and ne'er the two shall meet. I'd love to taste black kale, which is what I think she said that was.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Update on earlier post: Just finished Aarti's sloppy joe's. Delicious. Instead of half-and-half, we used plain yogurt. Next time, though, we'll add more heat.
    The wine we paired with it was 2007 Lucky Star Petite Sirah -- perfect match!

BTW, since we know now that Aarti drinks wine (maybe even knows wine) via comments about book club and that, for this episode's scenario, friends were to be bringing wine, a nice addition to the show would be advice as to wine pairings with her dishes -- especially since the seasonings are different from what most North Americans are used to.

I'm looking forward to trying the kale salad; hubby wants to try the ice-cream dish. (He LOVES chai.)
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I totally ❤ Aarti! Even if it weren't the name of the show, I'd predict she'll become the Next Food Network Star!

She nailed it when she said something about when God made her, he bopped her on the head and proclaimed "Cooking Show Host!"

The only area I can see that she might need to work on isn't even really about her - and let me disclaim loudly that I'm basing this opinion on one actual show episode and the recipes she did as part of a competition - so it might not even be applicable, but anyway, it's the Quick and Easy Factor.

What I mean is, there are some shows that are very popular, even though the hosts are not nearly as telegenic and fabulous as Aarti, nor are their "culinary points of view" as chock-full of audience appeal.

Their main selling point is that they feature feats that can be accomplished, well, Quickly and Easily, an element that has an extremely high priority with a huge chunk of viewers, and for many, it's Number One.

It's a fact of life in Modern Today that few people have a lot of time to spend cooking, and many of them are either working on acquiring kitchen skills, or have made their peace with not having any.

If the Food Network had hired me to advise Aarti on her Premiere Episode, I would have suggested that she give some useful tips, and of course crank out her signature feature of making South Asian cuisine accessible and accessibly fusionable with super-familiar - and popular - US mainstream dishes, and do a recipe that's low-to-no skillz-friendly and that will be perceived by her target audience as having maximum WOW! factor - but that requires a minimum of time & effort - something like the panir & prosciutto pizza she did on the 3 minute "pilot."

The recipes on her first episode checked off every possible box anybody could want, except the Quick & Easy one.

Would the average person with no, low, or even low-average cooking skills, coming home from work and getting ready to host a meeting of their Accountability Group (WTF?!?) or book club or weekly Girlz Chess Night or whatever actually make bread pudding and roast chicken?

I don't think so. Real live foodies might run right in the kitchen and make it along with her, but I think that's more the kind of thing that "average person with no-low" etc might make on a weekend or a special occasion - and the making of it would in itself be a special occasion - a Big Deal.

Aarti's concept fills such a gap, and is just crawling with high interest - Westerners just love Eastern food - the number one most popular dish in the UK is chicken tikka masala!

It's the same in the US - the people love the food, and are always saying they wish they could make it at home.

And almost every one of them has at least one family member or friend who is totally married to the characteristic low flavor profile of US mainstream "cuisine," and has a strong preference for a very limited diet - permanently stuck in a sort of adult version of that phase kids go through where they will eat nothing but chicken nuggets and blue M&Ms - you know, the one who always votes no on the Indian restaurant, and says they don't like it because it's "too spicy" or "too different." That person!

But YAY! Here comes Aarti to the rescue!

If she will do Quick & Easy meals on her show - at least most of the time, nothing will stop her from just zooming up the charts with a bullet!

Rachel Ray & Bobby Flay, prepare to eat her turmeric-stained dust!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

+ Reply to Thread