+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The Next Food Network Star

I don't think anybody had to "have it in" for Kelsey. I think she self-imploded. She'll be better when she grows up a little...or a lot.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aanjheni;3138377;
    I love, love, love Anthony Bourdain. He is one of my top two tv-crushes. The other is always #1 in my foodie heart - Alton Brown.

Too bad neither of the NFNS guys even come close to them in charisma, attitudes, and style so by default I have to vote Lisa as the winner.

Anthony writes novels? Hmmm may have to check that out tomorrow!
    He does fiction and non. the book "Kitchen Confidential" spawned a ill-fated (albeit wonderful) TV Show of the same name. Pick it uyp on DVD if you can. It was
    great.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3138134;
    As for the "travel around eating food" thing goes, it looks like the Neeley's have taken over for the Deen boys.
    aaaaaaaaaaaakkkkk! Say it isn't so! I can't stand them as hosts. He is just dull, but she is obnoxious her voice is grating.

I was referring to Anthony Bourdain as the French chef. My biggest problem with him is his chain smoking. I can't reconcile that with his job. He is obnoxious, but that doesn't bother me but I don't like gross food though (ex: cobra or camel parts). I thought he said that he was raised in France, but that must have been his dad.

I think the FN judges are more about the personality of the contestants, but Bobby is tough about the food knowledge. I don't have a problem with that. Balance is important. Hosts that talk about food without having enough working experience with it is like selling records you aren't really singing on.
    Last edited by dberk; 07-20-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3138615;
    aaaaaaaaaaaakkkkk! Say it isn't so! I can't stand them as hosts. He is just dull, but she is obnoxious her voice is grating.

I was referring to Anthony Bourdain as the French chef. My biggest problem with him is his chain smoking. I can't reconcile that with his job. He is obnoxious, but that doesn't bother me but I don't like gross food though (ex: cobra or camel parts). I thought is said that he was raised in Franch, but that must have been his dad.

I think the FN judges are more about the personality of the contestants, but Bobby is tough about the food knowledge. I don't have a problem with that. Balance is important. Hosts that talk about food without having enough working experience with it is like selling records you aren't really singing on.

A great many Cooks/Chefs tend to smoke. I know its not in line with cooking and being able to really taste the food.. but in nearly EVERY kitchen you wil have 75% or more of the staff who is a smoker.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3138621;
    A great many Cooks/Chefs tend to smoke. I know its not in line with cooking and being able to really taste the food.. but in nearly EVERY kitchen you wil have 75% or more of the staff who is a smoker.
    I thought he quit smoking recently because he has a son now. (maybe a rumor, but that is what I remember hearing him say on one show or another)

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3138621;
    Once again my country girl upbringing leaves me shocked at something. This is one of the big reasons I joined FORT. I constantly need to expand my horizons and understanding of human behavior that is outside my daily exposure. For a cook in my local diner to smoke is one thing, but for a highly respected chef it is appalling. How do contestants on cooking shows tolerate smokers judging the taste of their food?

Smoking is a huge prejudice of mine. Perhaps my biggest. Maybe the reason that Bourdain's smoking bothers me so much is that he is very in your face with it. I've never noticed any other TV chefs or cooks doing this. If he has quit, I'll have to take another look at his shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3138627;
    I thought he quit smoking recently because he has a son now. (maybe a rumor, but that is what I remember hearing him say on one show or another)
    Yes he did. In 2007 after his daughter, Arienne, was born. He had a 2 pack a day habit.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3138637;
    Once again my country girl upbringing leaves me shocked at something. This is one of the big reasons I joined FORT. I constantly need to expand my horizons and understanding of human behavior that is outside my daily exposure. For a cook in my local diner to smoke is one thing, but for a highly respected chef it is appalling. How do contestants on cooking shows tolerate smokers judging the taste of their food?

Smoking is a huge prejudice of mine. Perhaps my biggest. Maybe the reason that Bourdain's smoking bothers me so much is that he is very in your face with it. I've never noticed any other TV chefs or cooks doing this. If he has quit, I'll have to take another look at his shows.
    If you ever watch Hell's Kitchen it looks as if every chef smokes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

OK, does anyone else think this "something we've NEVER done before on TNFNS" idea of sending all 3 of them back to NYC for the finale was nothing more than a cop-out? I like Aaron well enough, but he bombed BIG-TIME today. His video commercial challenge was OK, but his buffet was boring...and WTH was that attempt at comedy that he did before serving his buffet? He should have gone home tonight.

Of course, now that I've said that, I have a sinking suspicion that Aaron wins it all...

I HATE it when the judges cop out and don't pick a loser. It wastes the time of the viewers and the contestants. Why even bother with an episode and then say to us, "Oh, nevermind", we'll replay this back in New York. Each of them had valid reasons that they could and should have been cut. Lisa dropped her fish and didn't cook enough of the other food so turned her "Buffet" into a tasting table. Not one bit of criticism. She also burned the hell out of the pork and when they asked about it didn't step up and take responsibility for its condition but just said, "It was the best we could do considering the circumstances." What ever that means. Aaron was just an embarassment in his introduction. I felt so bad for him I couldn't watch it. Plus all he made were Pasta Salads. Hey Aaron a Pasta Salad goes a long way, babe. And poor demented Adam actually surprised me. His food was well received and his taped intro with the show girls was actually good. He and Shane (who looked like he had gained an extra 20 or 30 pounds) worked well together. Plus Adam was the favourite of the Chefs and Entertainers, but the judges apparently didn't count that for anything, because THEY (the judges) know what's really good. Plus I'm sure that Bobby Flay really has it in for Adam for some reason. And when the one judge said that Lisa had such a warm and friendly delivery, I just about puked. That squished up face and those squinty eyes don't read warm and friendly to me. For me it would have been Adam-Winner, Aaron-2nd, Lisa-eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread