+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

Re: The Next Food Network Star

There's something about Aaron that I like; perhaps because he can be so endearing and genuine as he was in the Girl Scout challenge. Problem is that he's not consistent. I think Lisa is one of the best cooks that they've ever had, but I'm not sure that her nerves wouldn't get the best of her. It's a shame because she'd probably make some awesome dishes. As far as Adam, I think he is very good in front of the camera, but I don't know that his own show would offer us anything special.
    Seems like Guy Fieri is the only past winner who's still around on this network. I' m sorry, but I have just never understood his appeal, although it looks like many have. I just have to quickly change the channel when he's on - he just totally turns me off. I voted for Reggie that season - such a charming guy. If FN is looking for another Guy Fieri, then I don't think any of the 3 are going to do. I hope they are looking for someone different. JMO.

I'm rooting for Adam, then Aaron. Adam is easy to watch and listen to and he has some good ideas. Aaron can be fun to watch when he's on, but he really needs to get that "prepping/cooking and talking" thing going.

I don't find Lisa easy to watch or listen to. I mostly watch her to see how her eyes will look at any given point. ;-) But watching her last week...I can't imagine trying to follow her on a show. And I think she talks down to people a bit...like she knows more than we do and wants to be sure we know it. (I do expect her to know more ;-) but I'd like to learn about it, not feel like I'm lacking because I don't know it.)

And as for kids and their eating habits...my son ate just about everything until he was about 6, and then we started on the PB&J fix for lunch/mac & cheese for dinner ;-) It's only been the last six months where he is eating new foods again (more than the bite that I make him eat).

Agreed, TripleGemini! I like Adam's personality and would be more likely to watch a show that he hosted because he's got a great sense of humor. Aaron can be very endearing when he relaxes, but we've seen so little of that from him (other than the GS challenge) that I don't know if he could carry a whole show. Even with weaker food skills, Adam has shown fairly consistent personality.

I don't find Lisa to be watchable in the least. She's got weird facial expressions (yes, the eye thing drives me CRAZY!) and her culinary point of view seems really arrogant to me. In the GS challenge, she bragged about her GS having a sophisticated palate, but in reality, Lisa shove the ideas down her throat. The poor girl had NO idea what Lisa was talking about and Lisa got lucky that the girl liked it (or else was just too polite to say she didn't like it).

As far as previous winners, this is only the third season. Guy is still around and actually has a couple of different regular shows now. My hubby and I love his Diners, Drivins and Dives show. Guy has great camera presence and a nice ability to bring across the flavor of the food visually. Amy was the winner of season two, and I only caught her show once or twice. As much as I loved her on NFNS, I really didn't think she was going to make it because she just wasn't engaging enough on camera to carry the entire show by herself. I got bored very quickly.

Honestly, I think personality is probably the only reason Adam is still around...he has the best personality of any of the competitors this season, and FN knows that the food alone will not make the show successful. And who says he has to cook. Guy doesn't cook much on his shows. He does reviews of other people's cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte;3137157;
    As far as previous winners, this is only the third season. Guy is still around and actually has a couple of different regular shows now. My hubby and I love his Diners, Drivins and Dives show. Guy has great camera presence and a nice ability to bring across the flavor of the food visually. Amy was the winner of season two . . .
    Actually, this is the fourth season. You're forgetting about Season One's winners: Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh, also known as "The Hearty Boys," an adorably fun and entertaining couple with a catering business and some wonderful recipes and tips. Their show, Party Line with the Hearty Boys, was on for two seasons, I believe, but you (or rather, your DVR or VCR) can catch the reruns at 4:00 a.m. on Fridays.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte;3137157;
    Agreed, TripleGemini! I like Adam's personality and would be more likely to watch a show that he hosted because he's got a great sense of humor. Aaron can be very endearing when he relaxes, but we've seen so little of that from him (other than the GS challenge) that I don't know if he could carry a whole show. Even with weaker food skills, Adam has shown fairly consistent personality.

I don't find Lisa to be watchable in the least. She's got weird facial expressions (yes, the eye thing drives me CRAZY!) and her culinary point of view seems really arrogant to me. In the GS challenge, she bragged about her GS having a sophisticated palate, but in reality, Lisa shove the ideas down her throat. The poor girl had NO idea what Lisa was talking about and Lisa got lucky that the girl liked it (or else was just too polite to say she didn't like it).

As far as previous winners, this is only the third season. Guy is still around and actually has a couple of different regular shows now. My hubby and I love his Diners, Drivins and Dives show. Guy has great camera presence and a nice ability to bring across the flavor of the food visually. Amy was the winner of season two, and I only caught her show once or twice. As much as I loved her on NFNS, I really didn't think she was going to make it because she just wasn't engaging enough on camera to carry the entire show by herself. I got bored very quickly.

Honestly, I think personality is probably the only reason Adam is still around...he has the best personality of any of the competitors this season, and FN knows that the food alone will not make the show successful. And who says he has to cook. Guy doesn't cook much on his shows. He does reviews of other people's cooking.
    That said, the name of this show is Next Food Network Star.. it never said that the winner would be cooking. It IS all about the personality. Yes, cooking or a base in food/cooking is needed.. but they never said you'd be hosting a cooking show.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

. . . It IS all about the personality. Yes, cooking or a base in food/cooking is needed.. but they never said you'd be hosting a cooking show.
    True that! It looks like smart self-marketing goes like this:
    Get a cooking show. Have some degree of success or buzz, especially as regards personality. Then, as soon as possible, have your agent book you a travel-and-eat show. (Wouldn't that be the life -- getting paid to travel and eat! )
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3137195;
    Then, as soon as possible, have your agent book you a travel-and-eat show. (Wouldn't that be the life -- getting paid to travel and eat! )
    It would be great to do the eating for free, but only Guy and Paula's sons have a travel/eat show that I enjoy. Rachel and the Italian princess both have this type of show and they are both boring. There are just a blur of visits too brief to grasp onto. The intolerable/obnoxious French chef has some interesting shows, but I can't stand him for more than a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3133801;
    Where is that? I want to move there (and avoid the upscale prices for one of my fav foods!)
    Culebra, Puerto Rico. Pretty much every waterfront home has a lobster trap or two.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3137966;
    It would be great to do the eating for free, but only Guy and Paula's sons have a travel/eat show that I enjoy. Rachel and the Italian princess both have this type of show and they are both boring. There are just a blur of visits too brief to grasp onto. The intolerable/obnoxious French chef has some interesting shows, but I can't stand him for more than a few minutes.

I thought I was pretty familiar with the FN line-up, but I can't figure out who the French chef is that you refer to. The one I can't stand is that Danny Boome.
    Susan

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Adam is my favorite too. He's the most "watchable" in my opinion. Aaron is alright, but, as the judges point out week after week, needs to work on his camera presence.

As for Lisa, I would NOT watch her show, just as I have not watched last seasons "winner". She's manic, at best. The squinting thing she does drives me crazy. I keep wondering if her cheeks are naturally that color or if she's doing her own makeup. Whichever it is, it's distracting.

Would have enjoyed seeing Paul do his own show.

As for the "travel around eating food" thing goes, it looks like the Neeley's have taken over for the Deen boys.
    Last edited by Little Sew&Sew; 07-19-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread