+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Next Food Network Star

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: The Next Food Network Star

my prediction is it's going to be aaron and lisa in the final two, with lisa winning.

One of the main reasons I like Lisa and may watch her show (if she wins) is because I agree 100% that food should NOT be dumbed down for a child. My 5 year old eats what I eat and other than when he was on baby food? He always has. He eats sushi, calamari, couscous and various "adult" foods and prefers it to so-called kids food (chicken nuggets, fries, hot dogs). Although we do eat pizza every now and then, he thinks its gross and won't eat it. Anyways, children need to be exposed to food at an early age and not treated like their palettes can't handle it. My son is willing to try anything...once...lol.

Has anyone ever had mac n cheese with lobster before? When I visited Maine a few years ago it seemed to be on all the menus as a staple.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3131210;
    I disagree with BF about not using an ingredient if you don't know its molecular structure.
    It's not a matter of knowing its molecular structure, it's a basic knowledge of what an ingredient is.

I know of more than one dish that has been ruined (to the point of inedibility) by an ingredient that when heated displayed properties that were simply incompatible with the rest of the dish.

Chipotles have their place, but they are not "drop-ins" to be added on a whim.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Locarber;3131003;
    What is wrong with Lisa's eyes?
    Yes, they drive me crazy, im like did she get too much botox or does she wear glasses? i dont know but it annoys me, LOL

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireangelOne;3131439;
    It's not a matter of knowing its molecular structure, it's a basic knowledge of what an ingredient is.

I know of more than one dish that has been ruined (to the point of inedibility) by an ingredient that when heated displayed properties that were simply incompatible with the rest of the dish.

Chipotles have their place, but they are not "drop-ins" to be added on a whim
    I dont think the problem was the use.. the liked his dish. Most cooks will try things that do not know much about just to see what they can add.. or not.. to a dish. I have no problem with his use of it, as long as it worked. However, I myself, would try to know as much about the foods I use before I use them. I dont see this as a whim addition in Aarons case. I also think given it was Bobby Flay, and this is something that is in his style of cooking as a mainstay, he was being a little more critical.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3131430;
    One of the main reasons I like Lisa and may watch her show (if she wins) is because I agree 100% that food should NOT be dumbed down for a child. . .
    . . . or for adults. While Lisa is not my favorite (my favorite got kicked off weeks ago ), I find that fact that she doesn't dumb things down refreshing. So often, "home cook" is equated with "moron with a can opener who can't take a few minutes to use non-processed ingredients" -- I don't get that attitude from her.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have always believed in giving a dish a test run before I served it; I would never have the nerve to use something that I really didn't know about without knowing how it would/should play out. I must say, I was shocked that Aaron wanted to use "chipoltes" (as he called them) but didn't know what they were or tasted like? He HAD to have some kind of idea, don't you think? I'm no cook, and I'm not big on being in the kitchen, but that just sounds crazy to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3131430;
    One of the main reasons I like Lisa and may watch her show (if she wins) is because I agree 100% that food should NOT be dumbed down for a child. My 5 year old eats what I eat and other than when he was on baby food? He always has. He eats sushi, calamari, couscous and various "adult" foods and prefers it to so-called kids food (chicken nuggets, fries, hot dogs). Although we do eat pizza every now and then, he thinks its gross and won't eat it. Anyways, children need to be exposed to food at an early age and not treated like their palettes can't handle it. My son is willing to try anything...once...lol.

Has anyone ever had mac n cheese with lobster before? When I visited Maine a few years ago it seemed to be on all the menus as a staple.
    I couldn't agree more; that's the way I raised my children, too. They had their likes and dislikes, so do I, but they learned to like foods from different cultures. Thus, I was able to cook standard food, but more interesting dishes as well. Now, they can go anywhere in the world without having to ask for hamburger.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by JayePeso;3131488;
    Yes, they drive me crazy, im like did she get too much botox or does she wear glasses? i dont know but it annoys me, LOL
    Not likely, she's only 32. I am impressed with her food knowledge, as are the judges, and her ability to put that together with the ingredients. I've actually tried a couple of her recipes, and they are really, really good. Go Lisa!

Susan

FORT Fogey

Nothing about Lisa is impressive to me. Who the heck ruins mac and cheese with disgusting goat cheese?? I loved when Paula told her that she hated it. Paula has a fabulous mac and cheese recipe.

+ Reply to Thread