+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Donuts and other delectable pastries

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Donuts and other delectable pastries

Tomorrow is National Donut Day so I thought this would be a good time to kick off a thread about donuts! What are your favorite donut places, your favorite donut brands, and your favorite donut flavors?

I grew up on Dunkin Donuts. We didn't even get a Krispy Kreme until I was in my 20's and I didn't like them as well as DD. Then our Dunkin Donuts went out of business so Krispy Kreme was all we had. Dunkin Donuts eventually came back but they were nowhere near as good as they once were so I go to Krispy Kreme more often. KK is closer to where I live and has better parking. Dunkin Donuts is on campus so you have to park in a tow-away zone and pray your car isn't towed while you're getting your donuts.

When I was growing up, chocolate-glazed and cherry-glazed donuts were my favorites, with chocolate cream-filled donuts right behind them. I also went through a time where I was all about crullers. I loved the crispy edges on them.

I love the Entenmann's mini donuts--powdered, chocolate, and crumb.

Then, of course, there are Munchkins/donut holes. I love them because you can have 5 or 6 donut holes in different varieties in place of 1 or 2 big donuts.

I used to love Little Debbie's donut sticks but when I became an adult and tried eating them, I found them inedible. Sugar overload!!! I never thought as a kid that anything could have too much sugar but your tastes sure can change as an adult.

I'm taking the day off from work tomorrow so I can indulge in free donuts from home. I had to use my personal holiday anyway so I thought what better time to use it than for National Donut Day?
    momrek06, Cornholio and MReid like this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Upcoming Pools: Dancing With the Stars 23, Project Runway 15, Survivor 33
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Re: Donuts and other delectable pastries

Me too, PIK!!!

I grew up on DUNKINS but then MOVED here and there are 1 or 2 out here somewhere in California!!!

Have a FAB day OFF tomorrow!!!

MReid likes this.
    KAREN

I sometimes bring donuts to work for everybody. I used to get 2 dozen assorted donuts. Then I noticed that most of my co-workers preferred the plain glazed Krispy Kreme donuts so I started getting 1 dozen plain glazed donuts and 1 dozen assorted. Now, I got 2 chocolate cream-filled donuts for me and plain glazed donuts for the rest.

One of my previous co-workers, Hyatt, was a donut maniac. When he got in the mood for donuts, he did nothing but talk about donuts all day. The case reviewers in our section all had little boxes for their certified mail receipts so as a surprise to him, I printed out pictures of donuts and put them on his box. He was so tickled by that!
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

I wish I worked at your job lol. My old boss used to bring us Donuts every Friday. The job Im at now brings us bagels every Friday. Bagels are ok but I like donuts better lol. Dunkin Donuts were always my favorite they have a lot more variety than Krispy kreme. I used to get the munchkins when i was little. I loved those things. Sometimes I also go to a place called 7 eleven and get donuts. I dont know if you guys have 7 elevens where you live but their donuts are really good.
    momrek06 and Eastcoastmom like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: The FoRT's Big Kid

I looked up all donut places in my area and there are 9! 5 Dunkin Donuts, 2 Krispy Kreme, and 2 Donut Kingdom. I don't plan to go to all of them tomorrow because it would cost more to drive across town for a free donut than just to buy an extra donut at one location, especially for the places where you have to buy a drink to get a donut. I'll probably go to the Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts I usually go to and I might try going to one of the Donut Kingdom locations to try them out.
    momrek06 likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

At Dunkin Donuts tomorrow you get a free donut ONLY if you purchase a beverage. We don't have any Krispy Kreme chains here. I know there used to be one in Penn Station in Manhattan but not sure if they are still there. A few years back a Krispy Kreme opened in the next town. It had gotten a lot of buzz so I went to check it out. O M G... they were HORRIBLE. I couldn't understand what the hype was all about it. Then I found out about the red light. Apparently when the red light was lit you could get a free glazed donut. Well, the warm glazed donut fresh out of the oven was very very good. Other times not so much. They didn't last very long at that location.

As far as DD goes, I prefer their coffee to Starbucks. I like the glazed stick cruller and the vanilla donut coated with coconut (which many of the chains don't carry anymore). I like the cinnamon roll too. For dunking in coffee I enjoy a plain stick cruller. And that's about it.

Enjoy your day off, Pikachu!
    Last edited by Eastcoastmom; 06-02-2016 at 03:08 PM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MReid View Post
    I wish I worked at your job lol. My old boss used to bring us Donuts every Friday. The job Im at now brings us bagels every Friday. Bagels are ok but I like donuts better lol. Dunkin Donuts were always my favorite they have a lot more variety than Krispy kreme. I used to get the munchkins when i was little. I loved those things. Sometimes I also go to a place called 7 eleven and get donuts. I dont know if you guys have 7 elevens where you live but their donuts are really good.
    Here on Long Island there is nothing BUT 7 Elevens!!! On every freakin' corner. I'm not kidding. I've lost track of how many there are just in my town alone. That and banks. Geez! But I've never sampled their donuts. Haven't been in one since my boys were small. An after school occasional treat for them would be a Slurpee....usually that blue colored one. Ah, memories!!!
    Punkin and MReid like this.

When our Dunkin Donuts was good they used to have a whole lot of treats that they don't have anymore. Besides plain glazed and chocolate donuts, they had cherry glazed, blueberry glazed, and sometimes strawberry glazed donuts. They used to have donut twists in different flavors. My sister and I's favorite one was made of scraps of other doughs so you had a twist with swirls of blueberry, chocolate, etc. They were awesome! Then for awhile they had macaroons. Not the small French macarons but macaroons, which were similar to a Girl Scout Samoa. They were so popular, you had to go early in the morning the day they made them because they sold out quickly! It was so worth getting up at 6AM on a Saturday to get one. They also had another family favorite, long johns.

I think Dunkin Donuts started going downhill when they expanded to other things. Our Dunkin Donuts cut their donut menu in half and added bagels to the menu. Then they were doing cookies. I had to stop getting one of my favorite donuts, the chocolate glazed, because every time I got them, they tasted burnt. They went out of business and came back years later but they didn't bring back the location closest to my area so I don't get there often. So far the donuts I've had have been good but they don't have much selection. I miss the old days when they had so many scrumptious donuts to choose from.

These days if I want a long john, I have to get one at Publix or special order them from a bakery.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Here on Long Island there is nothing BUT 7 Elevens!!! On every freakin' corner. I'm not kidding. I've lost track of how many there are just in my town alone. That and banks. Geez! But I've never sampled their donuts. Haven't been in one since my boys were small. An after school occasional treat for them would be a Slurpee....usually that blue colored one. Ah, memories!!!
    7 Elevens are ubiquitous from Coast to Coast and in Hawaii! LOL
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    Lynda

7 elevens are like Starbucks here. They're everywhere. I don't think I've ever had their donuts.

Dunkins Donuts is okay if I really, really want a donut and there's no other place open. (Our DD is open 24-hours). Krispy Kremes are .... ..... IMO. I'm spoiled when it comes to donuts. We have a really good place in Ohio called Kiedrowski's Bakery. They've got videos on YouTube. They've won lots of awards. They're a family owned business. It's a little bit of a distance for me to drive, but biting into a Kiedrowski's is like biting into Heaven.

Darn you, Pikachu! Now I'm going to have to put on multiple disguises so I can keep going back for my 'one' free donut.
    Punkin and MReid like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast