+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Weight control theories

Re: Weight control theories

I've been trying to lose 30 pounds for like ever it seems. My fault partially as I lessened my work outs and ate more than I should... but I am 53 and have gone through menopause (still get hot flashes tho ugh), and when I was going through menopause I really put on the weight. Now I am back to working out 5 - 6 days a week, watching what I am eating and I've managed to drop 23 pounds. 7 more to go! I was at a point though where I just wasn't loosing any weight, even with extensive work outs, etc. I went to the doctor and found my thyroid was underactive. Since getting the right dosage I was able to start losing weight again. Slowly - but surely.
    Brooks, Cornholio and BostonMom like this.
    Boob Wrinkles - it is not a myth

After the 30 days you slowly reintroduce the foods that were eliminated for the last 30 days.

My doctor did check me for thyroid issues and test came back good. She said I have all of the classic, tell-tale signs so she recommended this diet because it supposed "to help regulate concerning issues".

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    This one bothers me a lot. Not just for weight loss, but gluten has gotten a bad name as being unhealthy to eat. This is flat out untrue.
    There are those who truly do have an allergy to gluten, it's called Celiac Disease, and those who have it truly do get sick when they eat foods with gluten. For them "gluten free" is truly a necessity. But for most, it's nothing more than a trendy fad that accomplishes nothing.
    I have a friend with Celiac and the whold "gluten fee" fad has caused her more problems than anything else. She cannot eat anything that has been touched by something with gluten. If a utensil has been used to pick up bread, and then a carrot, she cannot eat the carrot. So all these places that advertise "gluten free", but then aren't careful with food prep will make her sick.

I have proven to myself that portion control, limited sugar, and exercise are the keys for me to lose weight. The challenge: I have a sweet tooth and I have to work HARD at putting a limited amount of food on my plate. My brain knows that I don't need a ton of food to be full, but emotionally for some reason I like a plate FULL of food!
    Gutmutter and Miss Scarlet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    My brain knows that I don't need a ton of food to be full, but emotionally for some reason I like a plate FULL of food!
    There's no reason you can't stuff yourself. My dinner is a good sized bowl, not a plate. Piled high with an assortment of sautéed veggies (invariably kale, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper, and often one or two other veggies or even fruit) and then topped with portion-controlled animal protein. I have no room for anything else and I don't feel at all deprived. I brush my teeth for the night shortly afterwards which also helps deter me from eating anything more.
    Cornholio likes this.

I do the same thing with a HUGE salad. Greens, nonstarchy veggies (peppers, cucumber, onion, etc.), a little avocado for healthy fat, some seeds like sunflower or chia, balsamic vinegar and a little corn salsa to kick it up.
    Count your blessings!

Redirecting this from the MBFFL thread -

Quote Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
    I'm still confused about this metabolism thing; are you saying it's not possible to either speed it up or slow it down?
    Almost all of your energy expenditure (where you use ATP) is basal metabolism. Exercise represents a very small part of that, and while it has health benefits like increasing insulin sensitivity and perhaps creating more muscle mass it doesn't do much at all to burn calories. If you drastically cut calories, then you force your body to cut back on what tasks are performed as part of your basal metabolism, and at the same time it will resist making energy available for activities that involve moving around. I don't see that as "slowing it down". But it will make you feel hungrier because you'll be in a kind of energy deficit. The risk is that your basal metabolism will reset at a lower rate, so when you stop dieting your maintenance calories may be significantly less than before you were on the crash diet. If instead you can encourage your body to burn fat instead of relying on glucose and glycogen, then it can make up for the fewer incoming calories that way and your basal metabolism isn't compromised and you won't be as hungry while losing weight.

My preference is just to go at it slowly.

I response to the quote Brooks quoted above:
    NO, I'm not saying that medications can't affect metabolism. What I'm saying is that that doesn't prevent weight loss. If your metabolism slows, you have to eat less to lose or maintain. It's simple math - if you eat less than you burn, you lose weight and if you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. There are factors that affect how much you burn, but if you eat less than your TDEE, you lose weight, regardless of those factors.

PCOS can cause weight gain, but there are plenty of women who aren't overweight or obese who have PCOS. Off my head, I can think of Jillian Michaels. Sarah Jessica Parker and Victoria Beckham. I also have a good friend from h.s. who has it and is healthy and slim. She exercises, eats a healthy, mostly vegan diet and takes care of herself.

My feeling is that, if someone is looking for excuses, they'll find them, whether it be a medical condition, "genetics" (which I used to use, until I realized it was a lie) or whatever. I think the best tool I ever found to lose weight was the knowledge that I COULD lose weight. Once I knew that I had the power to do it, I didn't let the roadblocks keep me from doing it and I was overweight or obese for at least the last 2 decades. It wasn't easy, but once I stopped making excuses and got real with myself (mostly about how much I was really eating), it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I wish I'd done it sooner.

I've lost nearly 85 pounds since late September/early October 2014 just by lowering my intake and working out, but not hardcore - I do 30 minutes of cardio about 5 times a week and then do bodyweight and kettlebell exercises maybe 3-5 times a week (maybe 5-10 minutes for those - not much). Losing weight is more about eating less than exercise. I heard someone explain it as "eat less to lose weight, exercise for health." I focus on eating "clean" (I know some nutritionists hate that term) and less processed foods. I eat whatever I want, but just less of it. I will say though, that longer I've eaten healthier foods, the less interested I am in calorically dense, nutritionally poor crap like donuts, pizza and burgers, because they make me feel sick after I eat them. Plus, I can eat SO much more if I stick mainly to fresh veggies and fruit with some lean meats thrown in.
    Realitychick, Brooks and Gutmutter like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Here's a very different slant on how one (or more particularly a community) might cost effectively approach improved nutritional health.

TEDMED - Talk Details - If we can’t cure the patient, can the community do it?

Jason Fung is still my favorite blogger. His most recent on why a calorie is not a calorie (more specifically, why your body doesn't care): https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...orie-counting/

The article Fung refers to - https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016...y-vegan-foods/ - attempts to quantify the relative insulin loads.

Critical, I have a thought as to where our differences about calories lie. I'm saying that 100 calories of Food A may not be the same (handled the same) as 100 calories of Food B. I think you have been saying that 100 calories of Food A is less than 200 calories of Food A, in which case I agree with you, to the extent the fewer calories doesn't negatively affect basal metabolism. If I'm on a maintenance diet I probably can't eat more of what I'm already eating without gaining, but I might be able to eat more food if I'm eating something very different than I had been.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12