+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lunchbox Favorites

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Lunchbox Favorites

What were some of your favorite lunches when you were growing up? What about as an adult?

My sister and I usually took lunch to school, packed by my mom. Most often it was a sandwich and chips. My favorite sandwiches were peanut butter (with or without jelly) and tuna salad. I also liked Velveeta sandwiches, spam, chopped ham, or egg salad.

For chips, we got something from the variety bag of chips. My favorites were Fritos, Bugles, Cheetos, and BBQ chips. I liked to put my chips on my sandwich when I had a peanut butter sandwich because I preferred crunchy peanut butter and we always bought creamy peanut butter. Having chips or a fruit spread with seeds made my sandwich crunchy.

If it was cold out, we might get a thermos with soup. My favorite soups were cream of chicken, tomato, and vegetable beef or beef with barley. Sometimes I might take a thermos of milk and have cereal for lunch, usually Life cereal or Lucky Charms.

Sometimes I did eat at the cafeteria. I particularly liked it when we had footlong hot dogs or tacos for lunch. I thought it was neat when our school cafeteria got a salad bar and used to get that when I wanted something different.

As an adult, I sometimes go out for lunch and either get a cheeseburger meal at a fast food restaurant, Taco Bell, or go to a Chinese buffet that's near work.

I try to eat at home as much as possible, both to save money and cut down on calories. For a while I was having a hamburger at home. Sometimes I'll have a pot pie. Other times I might snack on dry cereal or have leftovers from supper the night before. This week I got chicken lunchmeat at the store so I could make sandwiches. I LOVE sandwiches!

When I was dieting, I used to eat pre-made salads or have rice and vegetables for lunch.
    Last edited by pikachu; 02-17-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    MReid likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 8, Survivor 30, Amazing Race 26
    Other Games: FoRT Yearbook

Re: Lunchbox Favorites

When I was a kid in school but that was decades ago the mama bear would always pack it for me most of the time it would be leftovers from last nights dinner. Her fried chicken being my favorite but then that would make me fall asleep in class so I had to stop that eventually. For snacks I always ate utz chips any flavor except salt and vinegar yuck, and yogurt or pudding. For juice I was addicted to yoohoo's those chocolate milk cartons yum and capri suns oh man the good old days.

Now as an adult I only eat out on Fridays that is the one day of the week I treat myself but Monday thru Thursday I still pack my lunches I save a lot of money that way
    “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”- Albert Camus

Do any of you old-timers remember Mug-o-Lunch? You just added hot water to the mix and you could have spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, beef with noodles, or any of their other varieties instantly. My family used to love those. They made great pre-microwave quick lunches.

Last edited by pikachu; 02-17-2015 at 05:04 PM.

I LOVED mug o lunch!! Totally remember them! Beef and noodles was my favorite. So many good things that are gone now I was thinking the other day about the frozen soup and sandwich Campbell's used to make, Souper Combos, SO good!

Punkin

On the days my dad wasn't working at the firehouse he used to make our lunches. Sometimes he would make his favorite own recipe sandwich. It's Liverworst and Swiss on Raisin Bread with mayonnaise and yellow mustard. It's still a favorite of mine and we are planning on having it for dinner tomorrow night with..., of course, Campbell's Tomato Soup! Yum!

Half sandwich. Piece of fruit or sliced raw veggies. Two cookies or a Twinkie or a half of a fruit pie (dessert depended on what diet my mom had me on at the time ... starting at age 5 ...).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

i don't remember ever taking a lunch to school. we got reduced/free lunch til HS so it was easier on my mom.

Now a days I try to eat out only once a week, if at all. I got into the mason jar salads for a while til winter hit, and I'll probably pick that back up in the spring. Lately I've been making rice filled burritos. I like to make my lunches on Sunday so I can just grab and go, and I'm trying to avoid microwave meals because I've had borderline high blood pressure.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Wow, so many more interesting lunches (from a kid's perspective) than I ever had!: turkey sandwich (or maybe an occasional bologna and cheese) with carrot sticks, a little box of raisins and a carton of milk. No sweets ever in my lunch. That's what the raisins were for. All of that pre-packaged stuff was so intriguing to me as a kid, probably because I never got any of it!

We never got sugary cereal after I was maybe 4 or 5. It was all Cheereos and Kix for us. This is probably why I ate so much Cap'n Crunch when I first went away to college!
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by MReid View Post
    When I was a kid in school but that was decades ago the mama bear would always pack it for me most of the time it would be leftovers from last nights dinner. Her fried chicken being my favorite but then that would make me fall asleep in class so I had to stop that eventually. For snacks I always ate utz chips any flavor except salt and vinegar yuck, and yogurt or pudding. For juice I was addicted to yoohoo's those chocolate milk cartons yum and capri suns oh man the good old days.

Now as an adult I only eat out on Fridays that is the one day of the week I treat myself but Monday thru Thursday I still pack my lunches I save a lot of money that way
    I love YooHoo's iced down in a cooler. In the summer, I take YooHoo's and almond butter on saltine crackers for a quick pick me up when I'm working outside. They have tons of potassium in them.

I ate lunch at school. The lunch ladies baked the best cinnamon rolls. When I took my lunch it was usually a Peanut butter sandwich, chips, an apple and cookie.

I loved YooHoo also. My nephew loved them, too, when he was little. He called them HooHoo's before he learned to say the name right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast