+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Spiralizer

Spiralizer

Here's the place to talk about our latest obsession: the spiralizer!

For beginners, here's a great blog: Inspiralized | A food blog dedicated to everything spiralized, including zucchini pasta.

A terrific article from HuffPo (which is what got me started): Spiralizer: Cut Calories And Carbs With This Fun Route To Guilt-Free Veggie Pasta

While there are lots of different brands that all seem to look the same, the consensus is that this is the best one:
    Amazon.com: Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer: Kitchen & Dining
    Cornholio likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Spiralizer

3 blade or 4 blade? One of the first 4 blade reviews said it wasn't as good as the 3 blade.

I have a spiralizer! Mine is about 5 years old and came with instructions in very poorly translated Chinese -> English. I've only used it to make zucchini and add a great raw marinara sauce to it. Off to check out the blog Critical posted and get re-inspired!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    3 blade or 4 blade? One of the first 4 blade reviews said it wasn't as good as the 3 blade.
    Definitely the 3 blade. There's a review of the 4 blade one on inspiralized.com - it was from a month or two ago. What she said is that the new one was good for thinner veggies (on the 3 blade one, you need veggies to be at least 1.5" in diameter) and I guess the 4th blade cuts smaller, angel hair-sized noodles. She said the profile is higher and the footprint is smaller, so it's less stable and harder to store. She confirmed that she's sticking with her 3 blade one. Anyway, you can read her review of it on the blog if you're curious. She wasn't totally negative about the new one, but said she still preferred the old one.

Now that zucchini is pretty much out of season and I can only find the little baby ones, I'm expanding my options and trying new veggies. I'm going to give turnips and other root veggies a try, but I really am not a radish fan and not really an eggplant girl either. I don't dislike eggplant, but it's not something I love either.

Gut is definitely putting me to shame with all of her spiralizer experimentation!

My favorite recipe is still the one with sweet potatoes, sausage and asparagus. I think I prefer the sweet potato and butternut squash noodles, even over zucchini.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was looking at this for sweet potatoes ( tough little buggers) we did wonder how that would work on them..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FM, the brand that I got - Bitoni - doesn't handle them well, but the Paderno brand apparently does. The way I have to do sweet potatoes on mine is by holding the crank not by the handle, but by the "elbow" of the crank (if that makes any sense). It works fine for me now, but it took a bit to get down a method to get it done quickly. I worried that, if I tried to do it by holding the handle, the whole thing would break off. I think Gut posted in the gadget thread that the Paderno one handled a sweet potato easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    FM, the brand that I got - Bitoni - doesn't handle them well, but the Paderno brand apparently does. The way I have to do sweet potatoes on mine is by holding the crank not by the handle, but by the "elbow" of the crank (if that makes any sense). It works fine for me now, but it took a bit to get down a method to get it done quickly. I worried that, if I tried to do it by holding the handle, the whole thing would break off. I think Gut posted in the gadget thread that the Paderno one handled a sweet potato easily.
    That's great to hear Critical. The one we looked was by Paderno. Thanks so much for this info
    -Andy Rooney-

I hate to repeat myself (I've posted extensively in the kitchen gadget thread), but the Paderno has handled everything easily except, possibly, the fat end of carrots. I had to use the side guide handle to encourage those through and they didn't end up as noodles, but little curls.
    I'm still finding zucchini so I'm still using them. I'm eager to try apples and pears with a little goat cheese or sweetened ricotta and maybe some walnuts or pecans. Potatoes and sweet potatoes on the thinnest noodle make a good crispy treat if you roast or pan fry them, but my favorite so far is butternut squash noodles with a little sausage, coconut oil, curry and cinnamon. I also liked (male!) eggplant with the wide noodle blade - with bruschetta, goat cheese, olives, and pine nuts.
    Cornholio likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Using the spiralizer for sweet potatoes and winter squash is what caught my eye. As a way to deal with large broccoli stems is also attractive because I have always thrown them away. I just ordered the 3-blader.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I hate to repeat myself (I've posted extensively in the kitchen gadget thread), but the Paderno has handled everything easily except, possibly, the fat end of carrots. I had to use the side guide handle to encourage those through and they didn't end up as noodles, but little curls.
    I'm still finding zucchini so I'm still using them. I'm eager to try apples and pears with a little goat cheese or sweetened ricotta and maybe some walnuts or pecans. Potatoes and sweet potatoes on the thinnest noodle make a good crispy treat if you roast or pan fry them, but my favorite so far is butternut squash noodles with a little sausage, coconut oil, curry and cinnamon. I also liked (male!) eggplant with the wide noodle blade - with bruschetta, goat cheese, olives, and pine nuts.
    OMG , I am drooling!!
    Gutmutter likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast