+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Spiralizer

Re: Spiralizer

I'm not even a "foodie" but you guys have got me wanting a Spiralizer. I've talked to a few people I know who have them & every one of them love theirs & use them all the time. They say even someone who hates to cook would love it because it's simple, quick & doesn't require slicing dicing or cooking. My kind of food prep.
    It's too late to ask for one for a Christmas present, but maybe a "just because" present to myself will happen one of these days.
    I'm Day After Christmas shopping tomorrow. I'll keep my eyes open for possible sales.
    Critical likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Don't get a sale one if it's not made by Paderno, MissS. There are lots of them that look alike, but they are not alike. The Paderno brand is the sturdiest. Believe me; I bought one of the knock-off brands and lived to regret it.....and then bought the Paderno. They're only around $35 on Amazon, so not pricey.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've had the spiralizer off the counter with all the kids coming and going and now I have left-overs that need to be used up, but I also have some zucchini, cucumbers, apples, and sweet potatoes on hold waiting in the wings...
    Count your blessings!

We didn't do much with it over the holiday, but now I feel like I need to get it out and use it. My mom has such a tendency to lean on processed foods and she needs to get out of the habit; all of that stuff has so much sodium, not to mention the chemicals and preservatives. I need to help her learn to cook more fresh foods. I wish there were bigger zucchini in the stores right now. Maybe we'll hit the farmers market here and see if there's a better selection.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I spiralized my first beet last evening, worked fine. Then I pretty much ruined the dish by sauteing the beets along with a few other veggies. Definitely should have cooked the beets separately and added them when I plated up.

Onions are still the veggie I'm most likely to spiralize, and with the spiralizer I'm more likely to use a whole small onion than just half of one.
    Gutmutter likes this.

I just got beets yesterday to try, so thanks for the recommendation. I may actually roast them.
    Count your blessings!

It’s very unusual for me to spiralize and then not cut up the noodle strands, because I’m not looking to make “spaghetti” so much as using the spiralizer as a very convenient way to slice up veggies. Like onions. Because for me it makes it much easier to eat and to stir fry than an unmanageable wad of “noodles” would be. Even for casseroles wouldn't wouldn't matter as much. I’m wondering what others here mostly do.

I usually cut the noodles. If it's a "tougher" vegetable like butternut squash or sweet potato, I definitely cut them a little. They're still in long strands, but just not LOOOONG ones With zucchini, I sometimes just leave them. The noodles are softer, so easier to break off or bite. I bought a pair of good (but inexpensive) kitchen shears that hang on the side of my fridge with a magnet - the fridge is right next to the stove - so I can grab it easily and cut the noodles up quickly right after I've put them in the pan.

I've seen some veggie "rice" recipes on inspiralized.com, but they don't interest me so much. Maybe when I get tired of the noodles....

Gut, the beets sound wonderful! I'm SO envious of people who can eat beets. My body just can't deal with them. I love them, but they don't love me I found a simple and delicious-looking recipe with roasted beets, sauteed beet greens and goat cheese that looked sublime, but not worth the aftermath. Alas.
    Brooks likes this.

Sometimes I leave them long and eat them like noodles, sometimes I chop them up while they're cooking with a wooden wedge-shaped "spoon" with a flat, sharpish edge. It's easier to do once they've softened a little. I am very interested in the "rice" recipes, but I wouldn't do it in a food processer... why have to clean something like that? I'd just chop away with a knife. I have two sweet potatoes awaiting the spiralizer and may do it with one as an experiment.
    I spiralized a cucumber last night and put it in some Greek yogurt mixed with a spicy garlic/dill blend. It's in my lunchbox now.
    I had spiralized zucchini with mushrooms and onions last night. Delicious.
    Count your blessings!

I was able to find some zucchini large enough to spiralize. I literally had the ruler app on my phone up and was laying the zucchini across it to make sure they were larger than 1.5"

The other night, we made zucchini noodles with sausage, onions and olives in a red sauce, which my dad gobbled up. I told him the noodles were zucchini, but he didn't get it. He asked my mom the next morning what the noodles were and she kept saying, "zucchini," but he didn't understand. I think we're going to have to make him watch the zucchini go through the spiralizer to get it.
    Brooks likes this.

+ Reply to Thread