+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Spiralizer

Re: Spiralizer

I've been so busy with work and my kitchen has been taken over with work stuff - the counters have been packed with non-food things, so I took a few minutes today to spiralize some veggies for the week.

I did a few sweet potatoes and, for the first time, some celeriac. An hour later, my hands still smell like celery! I think I'll do it in a red sauce with some sausage. Looking forward to trying it out! It wasn't easy to peel, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. That was what had kept me from buying it before. If I like the flavor, I'll definitely buy more now that I know it wasn't a pain to peel.

I love the sweet potato noodles just roasted with a little salt and pepper. Lately, I've been having them with caramelized onions and chicken, with a little maple syrup, salt, pepper and thyme. I also love them just plain with an egg over easy.

I bought some parsnips too, but those tend to be kind of brittle, so I'll just spiralize those right before I need them.

I'm excited to start seeing more winter root veggies in the stores!

I also bought a watermelon radish. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I was intrigued, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm sure there's a recipe on inspiralized.com.
    Gutmutter likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm the same way. My counter was taken over with felting the last week or so. I cleaned it all up today so I could make some crockpot veggie soup. Tomorrow I'll get out the spiralizer.
    Count your blessings!

I like adding veggie noodles to my soup. With zucchini, I just put the raw noodles in the bowl and pour the soup on top. The soup cooks the noodles perfectly. With root veggies, I usually roast them first and then do the same thing - pour the soup over the noodles.

I've even done zucchini noodles with canned soup, just to add some more nutritional value to the meal.
    Gutmutter likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I realized I never came back to give a review of the celeriac noodles. I love them! I cooked them up with a red sauce, along with sausage, spinach, red pepper, onion and some sliced Manzanilla olives. The noodles do taste like celery, but also have kind of a nutty flavor. They're more dense than potato, so they take a little longer to cook - I just simmered them in the red sauce in a covered pan - but they held together nicely. Celeriac isn't as low in calories as zucchini, but I calculated the big bowl I ate was around 130 calories. You couldn't eat a bowl of pasta that big for so few calories!

Definitely going to get them again!
    Brooks likes this.

I'll have to look for that.
    Count your blessings!

I got back a few weeks ago from being out of town for around six weeks and, while I'd been spiralizing a bit - mainly potatoes (sweet and white) and zucchini - I felt like I hadn't been actually cooking much - it was more a quick saute or roasting the potato noodles for an easy meal. This week I bought three big rutabagas and a butternut squash. Tonight I spiralized all of them and roasted the rutabaga noodles. I'll eat them with a soup/stew I made with kale, garbanzos and chicken Italian sausage (and a bunch of veggies).

I saw a recipe for butternut squash noodles with Brussels sprouts and bacon that I think I'll try. I'll probably use turkey bacon to keep the fat a little lower.

I also have a celery root in my produce drawer just waiting to be spiralized. It's funny how, since I started spiralizing veggies, I go shop the produce section in a totally different way. I definitely buy and eat different (or just more) veggies than I used to. For instance, I've eaten more rutabagas in the last year than in ALL the previous years!
    Gutmutter likes this.

I found big carrots at the farmers market again! Carrot noodles are coming soon....once this nasty heat passes in a few days.
    Brooks likes this.

I was helping a friend price donations for the library tag sale and there was a Paderna spiralizer, never used, still in the box. She priced it at $5. It was gone when I got there the day of the sale.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread