+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Spiralizer

Re: Spiralizer

Now I'm very intrigued by this. I've had veggie noodles, but have never made them myself. I love sweet potatoes and I'm loving the idea of having other ways to eat them, then just baked.

Gnomie, some of my favorite spiralizer recipes use sweet potato noodles. They're yummy.

It's funny how the shape/configuration of the veggies changes the flavor. The sweet potato noodles don't taste the same as a steamed sweet potato or even a sliced and sauteed one. The noodles are a little more al dente or they'd fall apart. I've found that I actually prefer them that way.
    Yardgnome likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm continually satisfied by how fast it is. If I'm hungry or tired from work, I don't want to make something with multiple steps. This morning I rolled out of bed early, turned on the stove with a drizzle of olive oil in the pan, washed off a potato, ran it through the spiralizer, dumped it in the pan, and made my coffee. By the time I got back from the bathroom, the coffee was done and the potatoes were ready for a flip. A few minutes later I was sipping my coffee and eating homemade hash browns.
    Count your blessings!

For anyone who's on the fence about buying a spiralizer: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/sho..._src=hpsubhero

All 20% off today!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ugh - I've had a bad cold the entire Thanksgiving break. I bought all kinds of spiralizer ingredients and haven't been able to eat anything. I'm in the process of freezing what I can for later and thinking of how/what/if to go ahead and spiralize/freeze/refrigerate/cook???? what wouldn't freeze well. I can't taste anything at this point. Soup?
    Count your blessings!

Sorry Gut, I hope you shake this soon!

My spiralizer arrived earlier in the weekend. I just made my first meal. Used it to make pizza toppings (onion and sweet potato). Sautéed them along with chopped mushrooms and spinach and left over game hen. Used a low carb Joseph's pita bread for the crust. Made too much topping so had to eat two pizzas. ;^)

I really liked what the spiralizer did with both the sweet potato and onion. It sliced the onion much thinner and faster than I'm able to, but I wasn't prepared for how quickly the vapors would develop. I used the wider noodler for the sweet potato. Again, a much finer, faster cut than I can do. It's very easy to clean so no time lost there. It won't take up too much room.

Congratulations, Brooks! I can't wait to hear more of your recipes and uses you come up with.
    I haven't tried an onion. That might be good for salads.
    I ended up spiralizing a partially baked butternut squash and then roasted the noodles in the oven with turmeric and curry. I ate a few after they had cooled a little and put the rest in a container to use in the next day or two. I sautéed a large batch of mushrooms and put them in a container, so that when I want to use them they're ready. Again, I ate a few once they were done, so I'm not really hungry for anything else. I prepped and cooked some beets and their greens, pounded the seeds out of a pomegranate and put them in a container with plain Greek yogurt for lunch tomorrow. So I'm feeling more in control of all the produce. The sweet potatoes will keep, the zucchini will be spiralized with some designer sausage (chicken, gorgonzola, roasted garlic) in the next day or two.
    Count your blessings!

Just bought two more as Christmas presents.
    Critical likes this.

Awesome idea! Make a few recipe cards to get them started. I had one sitting in my kitchen cupboard (my daughter's) and had no idea what to do with it. Include some ideas for apples/pears, some snack ideas (daikon radish/cucumber), and a few main dishes. Then send her a link to the Inspiralizer blog. There are also a lot of boards on Pinterest if any of the recipients are into that.
    Count your blessings!

There are a number of spiralizer books on Amazon. I was hoping for a great price on some used ones, no luck. Perhaps too new. I figured the internet including the blog would be the best source and I would definitely need to point it out. What made me comfortable with using it was the videos. My next project will be using the broccoli heads I intentionally purchased with long thick stems.

+ Reply to Thread