+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Whole Foods

Re: Whole Foods

Whole Foods puts their stores close to individually owned stores, which causes individually owned stores to lose customers and sometimes shut down. Years ago, Whole Foods put one store a few blocks from an individually owned store, which caused the store to shut down in a few months. There is another Whole Foods a couple of miles from an individually owned store, which caused the store to lose most of it's customers. That particular health food store just sells organic produce. Recently, Whole Foods put another store a few blocks from an individually owned health food store, which caused the store to lose customers. Whole Foods is not needed! The attitude of the Whole Foods employees gets worse and worse all the time.

I need my Whole Foods. There aren't any similar stores in the area.
    Critical likes this.

I love my Whole Foods. It's nowhere near any similar stores, although a Walmart neighborhood market (or whatever the heck they're called) recently moved in across the street from my WF. My city has a wonderful natural foods co-op that is always packed. WF isn't hurting them at all.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

As soon as a certain Whole Foods store opened, I stopped shopping at the mom and pop store. The mom and pop store was about the same size as the Whole Foods and had similar products. The store closed.

A Whole Foods was opened close to another mom and pop store about 50 miles away. When I had lived in the area years ago, there were usually about 20 to 30 customers at the mom and pop health food store. I went to that mom and pop store recently a few times after the Whole Foods opened close by... there was typically only one other customer in that store whenever I was there recently. I think the store will shut down soon.

The new Whole Foods which is close to where I live now took about one-fourth of the customers from the local mom and pop store.

Amazon is purchasing Whole Foods for $13.7B.

Well that sucks. Not that I don't buy from Amazon, but I don't like one company owning everything.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Amazon is purchasing Whole Foods for $13.7B.

Shoot, I hope that doesn't mess with the quality of the store and the amounts of items available to buy. It's getting harder and harder to find places to buy a wide range of produce and natural products. Sure, there are places online but it's nice to have a place in your neighborhood you can drive to and actually inspect the produce before you buy something you've never tried before, or pick out the exact melon you want without someone else picking one for you.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

We have a great natural foods co-op in my city, but it's not in a terribly convenient location AND the prices are high. Like $8.99/lb for asparagus vs. $5.99/lb (still too high) at Whole Foods and that's not a low price either. I don't buy without checking the prices at Whole Foods like I do at Trader Joe's. For instance, I needed pasta sauce the other day and struggled to find something under $2.50 - there were jars for $8.99. Sorry, but that stuff had better sing, dance and prepare dinner for that price. Same with juice bars. There were some for nearly $10 for FOUR of them. I got four for around $3.20. Not super cheap, but they're very good. OTOH, I can get a giant bin of salad greens for $5 or $6, that is a little bigger than what the grocery store carries for the same price AND it lasts longer in the fridge.

I'll be curious to see how Amazon changes things, but I'm never optimistic when a big corporate entity comes in and takes over. In my experience, that never turns out to be an improvement.

The mom and pop health food store that I wrote about in post #34 has permanently closed.

The owner of the mom and pop store tried selling it, but nobody wanted to buy it: the store didn't have very many customers. There is one Trader Joe's about one and a half miles away from the former store in one direction, and another Trader Joe's about two miles away in another direction. Whole Foods is farther away than one of the Trader Joe's. The former owner of the mom and pop health food store will now have to shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast