+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Whole Foods

FORT Fogey

Re: Whole Foods

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This is all very confusing to me. I was told to eat a little bit of butter if you have to, but other than that use olive oil. I was told that avacados are good in moderation, as are certain nuts. Is anything wrong with this?

Have you ever tried to avoid buying food that contains soy bean or soy bean oil? Good luck, but it's very difficult to do. I discovered that soy bean oil causing my tummy issues. It's in most salad dressings and that's why I can't eat bottled salad dressing or jarred mayo. In fact it's in almost all products in a grocery store. Can you purchase foods that don't have it some where?
    Olive oil is the best oil, but I think it tastes too bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I actually like that taste. lol I'm grateful for that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Get the best olive oil you can, and see if there's an olive oil / balsamic vinegar shop near you. The quality and taste are so much better than store bought.

I only buy blue cheese and thousand island salad dressings. (Blue cheese because I'm not allowed to eat the real cheese any more, along with any soft cheeses, and thousand island for Reubens.) I have a selection of olive oils and vinegars so that I can make different vinaigrettes. My favorite is blood orange olive oil with pomegranate balsamic vinegar.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Get the best olive oil you can, and see if there's an olive oil / balsamic vinegar shop near you. The quality and taste are so much better than store bought.

I only buy blue cheese and thousand island salad dressings. (Blue cheese because I'm not allowed to eat the real cheese any more, along with any soft cheeses, and thousand island for Reubens.) I have a selection of olive oils and vinegars so that I can make different vinaigrettes. My favorite is blood orange olive oil with pomegranate balsamic vinegar.
    Balsamic vinegar might contain lead. I got olive oil from Whole Foods. It was made in Italy.

I'm glad I found this discussion. I see that some have mentioned olive oil as being the best oil. What are deciding factors?

I use coconut oil pretty much every day in my egg scramble in the morning. From articles I have read, some say it is the best. I also like the subtle taste of coconut. Plus, I can also use it as a moisturizer. When I was oil pulling, I used coconut oil also. Personally, I think it's the do all, be all of oils...LOL

I also use avocado oil occasionally if I run out of coconut. Some say this is the best.

So, is one really better than the other, in terms of health benefits, or is it a personal choice.

It's not just a matter of personal choice because there are differences in health issues. Personally, I also consider coconut oil (and butter) the goto oils. I do consume some olive and avocado oil but it's surrounded by olives and avocadoes for the additional nutrition they provide.

Olive and avocado oils aren't good for cooking because heat transforms the polyunsaturated component. They're both generally better than the other liquid vegetable oils in that they're much lower in polyunsaturated fats and much higher in monosaturated fats and that makes them more stable and lower in omega 6.

For me the big issue is minimizing omega 6 polyunsaturated oils, because too much in comparison to omega 3 oils is inflammatory and could explain a lot of our chronic disease. You do need some omega 6 in your diet but it's almost impossible to avoid so you don't need to seek it out. It's not a good idea to supplement with a lot of omega 3 to try to balance out omega 6 because polyunsaturateds are unstable. For me the answer was computing how much of each I have in my typical diet and making adjustments based on those numbers. So I kept the avocadoes and almond butter but ditched the pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
    beerbelly likes this.

I can't afford to shop at Whole Foods on a regular basis but I love their dry aged steaks. We get them for special occasions, yummo!

They sound great!
    karna68 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I'm disappointed with the Whole Foods deli section. They have ham, which is cured with sugar, and pizza.

Think Whole Foods is a ripoff? It's worse than you thought

If you've ever shopped at Whole Foods you've probably been shocked at the prices. But a recent investigation shows that not only are its products overpriced, it's also dishonest—and its shady practices when it comes to weighing and mislabeling may be illegal.

The investigation looked at products that are weighed and labeled and found a "systematic problem" whereby customers were routinely overcharged for things like nuts, snack foods, poultry and other grocery products. Eight packages of chicken tenders—priced at $9.99 per pound—were inaccurately priced and labeled to the tune of a $4.13 overcharge to the customer per package, a store profit of $33.04 for the set. DCA says one package was overpriced as much as $4.85. "Additionally, 89 percent of the packages tested did not meet the federal standard for the maximum amount that an individual package can deviate from the actual weight, which is set by the U.S. Department of Commerce."

Should we be surprised?

Last year, the company was fined nearly $800,000 in California for not deducting tare weight, selling less than the weight on products sold by the pound and other violations. Not to be outdone by our neighbors to the West, "our inspectors tell me this is the worst case of mislabeling they have seen in their careers, which DCA and New Yorkers will not tolerate," according to DCA Commissioner Julie Menin.

I guess this kind of dishonesty is just par for the course when your CEO is a libertarian who thinks Obamacare is fascism and climate change is A-OK.

No announcement yet from the DCA on how big a fine Whole Foods will be slapped with. Let's hope it's significant.
    https://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...l=emailclassic

The closest one to me (that is not in the middle of The City with all that traffic) is about 15 miles so I don't shop there much. But I would suggest, weigh everything!
    Lynda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast