+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The Highs and Lows of Dieting

I've been on and off diets so many times in my life. I understand that it's a lifestyle change, not just a temporary fix, but so far I haven't found a plan I can live with long-term. I recently jumped back on the weight loss wagon and I hope this time I reach my goal weight.

My plan so far is not to tell myself I can't have certain foods (like chocolate and fast food) but I'm going to try holding off as long as I can to have them and then eat them in limited quantities. When I do finally let myself indulge in fast food, I plan to get a side salad plus one other item. So I can get a cheeseburger OR french fries OR chicken nuggets but not two or three of those options.

I'm also trying to evaluate before I eat whether I'm really hungry or if I'm just eating because I have a craving, I'm bored, having a bad day, or whatever. I want to stop myself from snacking mindlessly while watching tv or eating for some other reason except for physical need.

I've started walking a little each day. Right now, I'm not focusing on walking far. I want to get myself in the habit of walking first and then up the amount once I get comfortable with the routine. I'm doing 20 minutes a day to begin with and can up that later.

When I first start dieting, the biggest obstacle is hunger. My brain tells my body it's time to eat and wants to eat the amount its been used to eating so when I have a smaller, healthier meal, my brain says "Ok, I'm done with our snack. Seriously, what's for supper?" and I have to convince it that from now on, this IS supper.

Exercise is easier to get into in the beginning. Once I get over the hurdle of getting out of the house and actual begin walking, it's not so bad.

The hard part comes later, when I've added more to my exercise plan and it seems like the whole day revolves around planning meals and exercising. Plus after the initial weight loss and toning, things start to slow down and it's harder to see results from week to week even though I'm still following my plan. Usually after 6 months, my weight loss efforts peter out and I go back to old bad habits.

If you have any diet success stories or weight loss tips to share, I'd love to hear them! I can use all the motivation I can get.

FORT Fogey

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

In using walking for exercise, I've found that choosing the right area to walk in is very important. For me, I've found it much more effective to walk through a neighborhood than on a track or a treadmill. With a track or a treadmill, if I get tired, I can quit. Through a neighborhood, if I get tired, I've still got to get home, so I have to push myself to keep going. I also motivate myself by giving myself pretty scenery to look at. There is an are a few miles away from where I live with beautiful houses, and beautiful landscaping. I love flowers, so I will drive a couple of miles, park in a nearby parking lot, and walk in that area instead of walking in my own neighborhood. It works for me, because I get distracted looking at all the pretty things around me and don't think about the distance. It's also a neighborhood with a lot of interesecting streets, so if I'm feeling good, it's easy for me to add on some more distance to my walk. I personally also think that as far as dieting goes, things like Weight Watchers are better options, because they give you skills and things to think about even when you go off the diet. That makes more sense to me than eating special food and special menus, and then when the diet is over, going right back to eating the things that made you need a diet in the first place!

If Weight Watchers wasn't so expensive, I'd love to join again. For a while a few years ago, I was going to meetings and found the new online tools to be invaluable. I loved being able to track my foods, points, and exercise online. I'm not real thrilled with the new program, though, and I've heard a lot of complaints that people aren't losing as much on the new points plus system. Perhaps it's giving people too much freedom of choice and not being restrictive enough for weight loss.

I really liked the old Weight Watchers exchange system, where you got so many fruits per day, so much protein, etc. Sometimes I still go back and use that old plan.

I checked into e-diets after seeing the Cee Lo Green commercial and shoot, it's $300 for 2 weeks of meals. Way more than I can afford!

Has anyone tried Sensa and does it seem to work? I've been curious about it. Can you get it over the counter or do you have to get a prescription for it? Does it come with a weight loss plan you have to follow, too?

pikachu - I hear you about dieting! If you try to make your main meal (lunch or dinner) a big salad, that will help you feel fuller. Just make sure you're not adding croutons, bacon, creamy dressing, cheese, etc. Beans and whole grains are the same. I love red lentils with carrots, parsnips, and onions in it. Only 15 min. to cook. Oatmeal in the morning with craisins, fruit smoothie for lunch with almonds on the side, large salad with peppers, beans, chia seeds, balsamic vinegar, etc. for supper with several cups of green tea in there.... that's my ideal day of meals. Not saying I hit the mark every day, but that's my goal. Make sure you're getting exercise, too. Watch the movie "Supersize me" to turn yourself off from fast food!
    Count your blessings!

You have to do a food journal and write down everything, food + exercise. If you make yourself accountable, you will eat better, watch your portions, and exercise more regularly. Promise. You can do a pen-and-paper journal but I have recently found some apps that are amazing - I was using Jillian Michaels but have switched to MyFitnessPal (both are free). It does the math for you - enter your weight, height, and age, then the number of pounds you would like to use. You can choose your daily foods from a list that includes many, many brand names and restaurants (calories are all listed), and enter your exercise, which will give you a net amount of calorie intake. Once you start to truly realize how many calories you are consuming, you will automatically start to make better choices and spend less time meal-planning. You don't need an expensive diet plan and you definitely do not need drugs or supplements - none of those options has anything to do with a lifestyle change, anyway.
    pikachu, Cootie and AcookerTV like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Thanks AJane! I was planning on signing up for Weight Watchers this weekend, but I think before I do, I will check out MyFitnessPal!

Thanks for the tip, AJane! I signed up for MyFitnessPal and entered my food diary for today. This tool will be so useful.

For walking, as AcookerTV said, I prefer neighborhoods, too. One tool I find really valuable is my pedometer. It's easy to carry -- slips easily into a pocket; I can even throw it in my purse. I aim for 8,000 – 10,000 steps per day. The pedometer I have also records a subset of aerobic steps. I don't have a set number for that, but I try to push that number up a few times a week.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Probably a really dumb question, but I don't have a phone or iPad type thing that uses apps... can you use apps on a computer or access those programs another way on the computer?
    Count your blessings!

I went to the grocery store tonight to load up on healthy foods. I already had meat, cereal, pasta, and things like that at home so I got green beans (fresh, not canned), mushrooms, Fuji apples, black beans, oranges, nectarines, spinach, and olives. I like to make salads with spinach, olive oil, and olives. Also, I like stir-fried green beans and mushrooms with a little soy sauce. I had my stir-fried green beans and fruit for supper. I had to skip my walk for today because by the time I got home, it was already dark out. I'll be sure to go tomorrow right after work. Maybe I'll even do a few extra laps to make up for missing a day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast