+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

I've hit the 6 month mark on my diet and this is usually when I end up quitting. Weight loss has gotten very difficult in the last few weeks. Instead of steadily losing 2 or 3 pounds a week, I'm starting to have some weeks where I gain a little and some weeks where my weight stays about the same.

I refuse to quit on this diet because I've made so much progress and I don't want to be stuck at my current weight. I just have to dig my heels in, figure out some new strategies, and try adjusting my daily calorie level and/or activity level until I find the right balance.

I've decided to up my calories by about 100 a day. MyFitnessPlan has my calorie intake at about 1,200 a day and I've been feeling hungry all the time. I think that's just too low for me. Earlier in my diet, I was having the same problem so I boosted my calories a bit and that resolved the problem.

Don't quit pikachu. I think your adjustments sound like a good idea. This diet seems very reasonable. So many diets have you losing weight really fast but are so unreasonable or expensive that it makes it difficult to continue and keep the weight off. Keep going....

I have always had a difficult time losing weight. Even when I have been on very low calorie diets while doing lots of exercise and still the pounds came off very slowly. I would get so discouraged when I knew I was doing the right things, but still would only lose a little. I never found a solution. I just kept trying.

Have you had your thyroid checked? They finally determined mine was off and I now take meds for it. I feel much better now.

I have had my thyroid checked in the past and it was fine. That was a concern for me because my sister has a problem with her thyroid. That's why I got myself checked.

Upping my calories did help. I lost 3.2 pounds this week!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I'm 240 - 245 lbs and I started cutting down on some stuff. No more soda, no more McDonalds, hardly anymore pizza, etc.

But I still eat candy and cookies from time to time.

I've also started to take on walking more. My usual walk would have me walking down to the beach (like 9 - 10 blocks away), staying there for a little bit, and then walking back up.

The last time I checked I was a little bit under 240.
    Ellen and Eastcoastmom like this.

Every little bit helps, Johnny! Start by making a few small changes, add more exercise as you get comfortable with your present amount, watch your sweet treats, eat more fruits and vegeetables and over time, you'll see a big difference. Plus, you'll feel much better and that will encourage you to keep on it. It also helps when you lose enough that people around you start to notice and comment on it. Compliments about how much more fit you look can give you a lot of motivation!

Sometimes it helps to focus on adding healthy foods like fruits and veggies rather than on what you're eliminating. I love a big salad without high calorie add-ins like bacon, cheese, croutons, etc. Find a deliciously flavored balsamic vinegar and you won't need high calorie salad dressing. When I'm serious about losing weight my motto is "don't drink your calories"... soda, juice, alcohol, etc. Iced tea made at home with flavored herbal teas or green tea is very refreshing, or keep a pitcher of water in the fridge with cut up cucumbers (yum!) or fruit.
    pikachu likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Both of those are great points, Gutmutter! I try very hard not to drink my calories. I'll have the occasional Dr. Pepper or fruit juice but for the most part, I drink water and reserve my calories for food. Liquid calories do nothing to make me feel full and I don't want to be starving. I also prefer to focus on adding healthy fruits and vegetables instead of looking at it as losing unhealthy foods.

pikachu, you're an inspiration! Great to hear you're back on track. Years ago when I did WeightWatchers, the goal was not to go too high or too low on points (roughly calories), because eating too little made it more difficult to lose weight.

I think the point of not drinking your calories is those liquid calories are invariably sugar, and there's no quicker way to flood your body with an overload that will stimulate insulin and transform that sugar into fat, not help you lose fat.

Not sure what to make of the latest fuss about artifical sweeteners being counterproductive, but I'll give another shot at eliminating those too. I do think they tend to drive me to the vending machine.

They make all sorts of wonderfully flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegars. My favorite is blood orange olive with pomegranate balsamic vinegar (this makes a lovely citrus vinaigrette).

If you don't have a local olive oil store (we just got one that opened two stores, one in Newburyport and one in Gloucester), you can usually order online and they'll deliver. When I'm San Diego, I go to the place in Old Town (which is where I found the ones listed above). (I haven't made it to the local store yet, but I need to...I'm out of vinegar!)
    Ellen likes this.

+ Reply to Thread