+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Gutmutter, I just eat what I want before a cholesterol test (given that I get one every month or every other month), but I make sure to fast for about 12 hours (sometimes longer) before the test. And drink lots of water.

I think it will be OK if you eat your daughter's food. (And hey, they rescheduled your test, so why don't you just push it out another couple of weeks?)

They rescheduled it for mid-April, so I told my daughter to either make something totally delicious tonight or we're going out to a restaurant.
    They had to cancel all appointments because one of the practitioners came down with something incredibly contagious and the whole building is under quarantine. I don't know the details...
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    They had to cancell all appointments because one of the practitioners came down with something incredibly contagious and the whole building is under quarantine. I don't know the details...
    Wow! I'm glad they discovered that before you went in and possibly got exposed to something nasty!

I know! Any time something bad happens, I tell myself the angels intervened to prevent something worse. I'm such a Pollyanna.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

When I have to go in for Blood Work/Cholesterol & all that other stuff they test for, I eat a high fiber cereal first thing in the morning, eat just veggies for a lunch, snack on fruits/veggies late in the afternoon, & pretty much skip supper. I make sure to fast at least 12 hours before the test & drink lots of water the day & evening before.
    I guess I'm trying to trick the test into thinking I eat like this all the time. & have cleaned all the bad stuff out of my body.

I like trying to live in a dream world I guess.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

My deal is that, after having done a LOT of research, I have decided I'm not going to go on statins, so I'd rather not have to argue with the doctor about it. I also did research on how to "beat" a cholesterol test... lots of oatmeal and exercise leading up to it, veggies, beans, etc. Not that different from the way I eat normally. The blood test I had done last summer that concerned the doctor was during a time I was visiting my daughter who was working at a 5 star restaurant on the cape.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't see the point in trying to "beat" a health test. You're only hurting yourself if you're fooling your doctor into believing everything is ok. And just because a doctor recommends a medication or procedure doesn't mean you have to take it. You can ask if there are other alternatives or tell your doctor you won't do it. They can only advise you. They can't make you do something you don't want to do.

I get cholesterol tests done so often (because of my kidneys) that I don't bother to change anything. I typically don't eat after 8 pm at night, and I only drink water from 3 pm until I go to bed. But I also take two cholesterol drugs because of the vicious cycle of kidney disease (kidney disease leads to high cholesterol and high blood pressure; high cholesterol and high blood pressure lead to kidney disease). (I take a pill for blood pressure, too, when I need it.)

While my diet is nowhere as good as Gutmutter's, it's not terribly bad. I know which foods I can eat, and I tend to concentrate on those.

I think the idea of eating for a test is a good one, especially if you are trying to talk yourself into eating a healthier diet. If you get better results, that can be reinforcing to eat more things you otherwise are skimping on. If I can beat medical issues with diet, I prefer that. I am afraid that if I start on medications to fix something that it will lead to the need for more meds? I need to be more disciplined about avoiding sugar & salt and some processed foods that I should eat more sparingly.

My husband was gone in January for 3 weeks and I lost 4 pounds during that time by eating more greens and fruit than I had been. I usually have a pretty lean diet based on "superfoods" but have a few vices that I think prevent me from losing weight easily. I was so excited to lose those pounds but as of yesterday I have gained 5 pounds since he got back! Stress eating late at night is the culprit more than having my husband home, but he does want food around here that is not good for me. It seems like weight gain is so easy in comparison to weight loss, especially after age 50.

I think the key is to have more "good" days than "bad" ones. Otherwise, it's like flossing for the two days before you get your teeth cleaned when you normally NEVER floss. You're really fooling no one. As long as you're eating healthy most of the time, I think you're good.

I have friends who have done Weight Watchers and they would starve themselves the day before weigh-in. I didn't get the point. You're not accountable to the person weighing you in - you're accountable to yourself. Eating crappy all week and then fasting for the weigh-in day isn't really the point.

I've been eating pretty healthy for the last little while, but I'm giving myself a break today. There's NO way I wasn't going to have corned beef and cabbage today! I'll get back to salads and lean meats tomorrow!....or you know, as soon as the leftovers run out
    judkay likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread