+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

I'm not too fond of brown rice, either, Lucynda. I love white rice and wild rice but the texture of brown rice is off-putting to me. No matter how long I cook it, it's like undercooked white rice in texture. I'm going to start eating other types of rice besides white rice since I think they'll be healthier for me. I recently got two different mixes--one that is wild rice and long grain white rice, and another that is brown rice and quinoa. I haven't prepared quinoa by itself before but I'd like to start buying it. I've had quinoa at One Fresh Stir Fry and I really like it.

Right now, the high points of my dieting are:
    a) I've lost 22.6 pounds and haven't had a single week where I've gained weight or stayed the same,
    b) I've actually come to enjoy exercising. I couldn't walk for a few days when my bronchitis was at its worst and I really missed it so I was so happy when I got better and could go again,
    c) I've been cooking more meals at home since it's easier to count calories, carbs, etc if I know exactly went into my food. That's saved me money I had been spending on fast food and I've enjoyed food prepared to my own tastes.

The lows are:
    a) it's hard to be spontaneous because what I eat for an unplanned lunch outing could affect what I'll be having later for supper, snacks, etc, or force me to up my exercise for the day,
    b) I've started getting hungry between meals, despite working snacks into the day and drinking water. I have to remind myself that feeling hungry is normal and a good sign that I'm not overeating. I just have to focus my attention elsewhere until it's time to eat again and try to work filling foods into my diet plan or shuffle around what I eat when if I always seem to get hungry around the same time of day,
    c) I find myself eating the same thing day after day because it's easier to count and because since I eat so little, it's hard to eat up foods so one package of lunchmeat could take me all week to eat in the amounts I'm limited to each serving. I've started breaking up packages into smaller servings and freezing part of it if necessary so I don't have to eat the same thing every day for lunch to finish it up before it goes bad. I also push myself to eat different things once in a while to keep from getting bored, even if I just change up the order of my meals. One day, I had the hamburger I had been planning on having for lunch for breakfast instead and had cereal for supper. Just a little change helps keep things interesting.

Great job, Pikachu. I really love all rice so I don't have a problem with brown are you adding enough liquid? It does have more "bite" than white but it doesn't usually taste under-cooked to me.

I did a broccoli slaw and bbq hamburgers last night for dinner so that is what I had leftover for lunch. I stuck to just the patty and no bun. It is doable for me when the meat is grilled.

I like the cereal for supper idea. I may try that if I am stumped as to how to evolve a family meal into something I can eat, too. My cereal is more of a combo of grains in a bowl with nuts and blueberries. I do chia, flax, hemp, sunflower seeds, almonds and blueberries with milk.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just had a funny conversation with a friend at work. It struck me as humorous anyway. She was asking me what I had for lunch today and when I told her I had a pita sandwich with chicken, broccoli, and jalapeno cheddar cheese that I made at home plus an avocado, she was like "That doesn't even sound like diet food!". I guess she thought I was living on grapefruit, salad, celery, radishes and other typical diet foods to lose weight. I told her you have to choose foods you like to build your diet because otherwise you'll never be able to stay on it. I've been on cabbage soup diets, grapefruit diets, slimfast diets, etc. and I can only do them for limited times, plus the weight comes right back on when I stop following the program. It's not worth it to me to lose weight temporarily if it costs me my enjoyment of food. I just try to add healthy items to my menu, like fruits and vegetables, and limit the amount and how often I have less healthy foods.

I've been trying to lose a few pounds for my wedding in May, it's a destination wedding so I get to worry about how I look in my dress and in my bathing suit lol. I find that I have better luck making changes that stick when I gradually introduce them to my normal routine and I've made a few little changes over the years that may not have made much difference but added all up it's got to account for something! But I always park at the back of the grocery store (really any place I frequent) parking lot so I have to walk a bit further, it also has the small bonus of not having to drive around for a spot and I always know where my car is parked. I take the stairs if I'm only going 2 or 3 floors and I always walk up/down on escalators (I just feel dumb staring at the top of the stairs waiting for it to come to me lol) I cut back the amount of coke I used to drink to the point where I won't have more than 1 can a day (I do not count alcoholic beverages tho, gotta have some fun) and have recently started to skip it altogether a few times a week. If anyone else has any little tips or small thing that you've incorporated into your daily routine I'd love to hear em?
    Without actually exercising (I do walk my dog although not as much as I should) I managed to lose about 40 lbs in 2 years and keep it off for the last 5 years. I usually hover around 140, but I don't have a scale and find that obsessing about getting to a certain number just discourages me when it's not happening and when I do see that I've started to lose weight I tend to allow myself to snack too much. I feel like I get the best results when I go by how my clothes are fitting, if stuff gets tight I just eat better and if it gets lose I reward myself with a new clothing item.
    pikachu likes this.

I recently discovered a pretty good idea - cook a package of chicken breasts on low in the crockpot (just put the meat in the cooker and cover with a can of low-sodium chicken broth) for 8 hours, then take it out and shred it. It's cooked without any added fat and you can add it to salads, a sandwich, pasta or rice, etc. Great way to get your protein.
    pikachu and TripleGemini like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I've been pre-cooking chicken breasts on my George Foreman grill to use later. I just season them with salt, pepper and some Cavender's seasoning and it works well cold in salads and heated up in anything else.

It's just me, so doing a whole pack means some would go bad. I buy the packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts from CostCo and freeze them. There are two large breasts per pack, so I can thaw just two at a time. I usually get two meals out of each breast. They cost a little more than way, but I know none of it is going to go to waste.

I've got a turkey in my freezer that will be going into the fridge to thaw probably next week. I'll be eating turkey everything for WEEKS!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

When I cook up lots of extra chicken, I cut it up into bite sized cubes and freeze in 1-2 cup portions. Then I can thaw enough for salads, casseroles, quesadillas, etc...
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I just never have good luck freezing cooked poultry. It always comes out of the freezer kind of weird and spongy, especially white meat. Not sure why.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I could scream... I've been eating oatmeal and veggies for 3 weeks in anticipation of tomorrow's cholesterol test and they just called to reschedule. The biggest scream? My culinary daughter has been home for spring break all week and hasn't been cooking all her delicious food for me. She goes back tomorrow and graduates in May, so last extended break at home. Waaaaaaaaah!
    Count your blessings!

Well, look at it this way...the cholesterol test is to make sure that your diet is healthy so even though you didn't get the test done, you still did good for your body by eating right. You'll have other visits with your daughter in the future, either when she comes to visit you or you go to visit her, and you can indulge then. Maybe she could even send you a care package with goodies in it!

Still, that's frustrating. I wonder what the doctor's office would have said if you had refused to reschedule. Couldn't they have sent you to another lab or doctor's office just to have the test done and have the results sent to them?? It's sucky that they didn't tell you until last minute that they were rescheduling your test.

+ Reply to Thread