+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

My weakness is the accessibility of food at work. Mostly vending machines and the concessionary stand on the ground floor. What has helped me the most is making sure I have nothing less than $20 bills with me, or more than about 50 cents in change (which means I need to bring lunch with me). Otherwise, if there is any stress at all at work, all $1 and $5 bills get "laundered" through the vendings machines by the end of the day, or I might head downstairs to the concessionary stand. The grumpy old lady who runs it lectures you if you give her a $20 bill to cover a candy bar.

The other thing that keeps me in line is reading enough often enough about the dangers of unhealthy food to scare the bejeezes out of myself. It wears off after a while so I have to find new, scarier stuff to read.

I recently finished Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories". It convinced me that carbs make it very difficult to lose weight so I would make things like cereal and pasta as scarce as possible, unless it's a really high fiber option. It also convinced me that moderate exercise at least every other day is important to keeping up your metabolism up (combatting insulin resistance so your fat cells will release fat), but doesn't work well as a calories in/calories out balance, it will just make you hungrier so you'll eat more.

Good luck to you.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I did my first official weigh-in today. I had to find my scale. Hadn't used it in a long time.

The numbers weren't pretty but with hard work, hopefully I'll never see those figures again.

The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Probably a really dumb question, but I don't have a phone or iPad type thing that uses apps... can you use apps on a computer or access those programs another way on the computer?
    Yes, go to myFitnessPal.com and you can use the same program.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thank you. Sounds like a good program.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Tomorrow is my first results week. It was last Tuesday that I dug my scale out and did my first weigh-in so tomorrow I'll see how I've done. I've stuck to my diet and exercised like I was supposed to so I expect good results!

My goal is to lose two pounds per week. I might lose more than that the first week since I radically changed what and how much I'm eating, plus there could be some water loss in there. I'm sure after the first week, my weight loss will slow down. I don't really have a set rate beyond that (like trying to lose 10 pounds in one month or 30 pounds by St. Patrick's Day). I'm just going to go week by week and concentrate on reaching my daily goals, regardless of what's happening on the scale.

The last time I went on a diet, I lost 40 pounds and had to buy a size smaller jeans because all my jeans were getting to be too big. I gained that weight back so my first mini-goal is to get back into my smaller jeans. After that, I'd like to reach the weight I was at when I did my internship in 1995, another time when I went on a diet and lost a lot of weight.

Fort Member

My husband and I decided to start a new diet when we got back home after visiting our other home for Christmas we have both put on about 5 kilos in the last 6 months and need to stop the spiral
    First problem: We decided to wait for a Monday to start so had a very, very, good weekend
    Second Problem: Realized that we may have spent way too much money on holiday and pay day was still a week away so had to put it off another week
    Third problem: Husband has business trip leaving Tuesday arriving back Friday
    Fourth Problem: Mid week meet up with friends planned for Thursday night
    Fifth Problem: Pool night Friday night
    Sixth Problem: We brought back a lot of chocolate from home, the fridge is full of wagon wheels and cherry ripes (can not get them here) need to eat them all (take a week or so if I eat a couple a day) or find a real place to hide them (not going to happen)
    Starting to think this diet may never get off the ground, its a good one too lots of real food which looks and sounds great
    Guess I gotta stop the excuses hehe

What are "wagon wheels" and "cherry ripes"?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I was wondering the same thing, Ellen. The only wagon wheels I know are a type of pasta shape.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I've had many diets held off until I can finish bad foods in the house, too. I bought two bags of dark chocolate pecans at Christmas and had one open so I finished those early in my diet, before I started weighing in. I have one bag left and I worry about them tasting funny by the time I get to eat some. I don't want to give them away, though! I also just bought a pack of Dr. Pepper before starting my diet and now I'm trying to avoid soft drinks as much as possible. They're not off-limits so I can have one if I really, really need it but I'm trying not to get back in the habit of drinking them regularly. At least I don't have to worry about them going bad.

As for finding the right time to start a diet, sometimes you just have to set a date and do it. Think about what you'll do when the same events come up while you're on a diet. You'll still be going out with friends and attending celebrations so you'll have to figure out a gameplan before such events. Either plan ahead for safe foods you can eat or cut yourself some slack for that event as long as you keep on target the rest of the week. You can't keep making exceptions because that leads to a lifestyle that keeps you at a larger weight.

BTW, those two goodies sound wonderful! I could get in a lot of trouble with those around the house.
    Last edited by pikachu; 01-15-2013 at 12:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread