+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Now that I've lost 100 pounds I find the diet going so much slower. It's getting discouraging but I have to keep reminding myself of how far I have come. I have found that this no carb, no dairy, no fruit, soy-based protein diet is keeping me sated, giving me the nutrients I need, and helping me lose the weight slowly.
    You have made great progress and it sounds like you are doing it the right way! Even if the weight comes off slower, just keep up the good work and you will continue to feel great!!
    TripleGemini and Eastcoastmom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    This sounds like a case where we will have to agree to disagree. Nobody is being "forced" to buy Girl Scout cookies in this scenario. Part of being a free society is having choice. If we were going to "remove access" to all things that were bad for people then we would need to get rid of a whole lot more than sugar!
    It isn't so much that people are forced to buy the cookies, it's that the kids and their parents are forced to try to sell them. It's the wrong message. Sugar is probably the biggest preventable health risk we have and it's accessibility needs to be limited because the associated biochemistry is of an addictive nature (plenty of studies prove this). I can foresee this is going to happen eventually as a matter of regulation, but not until a great many more people are too sick. (Bloomberg was ahead of his time.) CVS wants points for discontinuing tabacco. It could have a much bigger impact by discontinuing junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    It isn't so much that people are forced to buy the cookies, it's that the kids and their parents are forced to try to sell them. It's the wrong message. Sugar is probably the biggest preventable health risk we have and it's accessibility needs to be limited because the associated biochemistry is of an addictive nature (plenty of studies prove this). I can foresee this is going to happen eventually as a matter of regulation, but not until a great many more people are too sick. (Bloomberg was ahead of his time.) CVS wants points for discontinuing tabacco. It could have a much bigger impact by discontinuing junk food.
    I thought it would make sense to regulate automatic weapons given that our children are being senselessly murdered in random school shootings, but the NRA appears to be more powerful than common sense. I would imagine that the lobbyists for the food industry will end up wielding similar control over our food. IMO, we are better off spreading the word about healthy lifestyle choices (and the dangers of a lack thereof) than we are waiting for our government to "protect us" through regulation.
    JunkieGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I thought it would make sense to regulate automatic weapons given that our children are being senselessly murdered in random school shootings, but the NRA appears to be more powerful than common sense. I would imagine that the lobbyists for the food industry will end up wielding similar control over our food. IMO, we are better off spreading the word about healthy lifestyle choices (and the dangers of a lack thereof) than we are waiting for our government to "protect us" through regulation.
    I agree about spreading the word. (Aren't I being shrill enough? LOL) There is actually a lot of good regulation that could help, like developmental incentives to build supermarkets in depressed areas where only convenience stores are located because many people don't have a lifestyle choice.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I agree about spreading the word. (Aren't I being shrill enough? LOL) There is actually a lot of good regulation that could help, like developmental incentives to build supermarkets in depressed areas where only convenience stores are located because many people don't have a lifestyle choice.
    Interestingly, I just heard a story on NPR this week related to this topic. The point was that availability alone may not be enough to make a difference in low income areas. A larger impact can be made if the stores incorporate education, or demonstrations of easy healthy cooking. I would imagine that learning to prepare something both healthy and "quick and easy" would be a key, particularly in single parent homes.

It Takes More Than A Produce Aisle To Refresh A Food Desert : The Salt : NPR

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I'm one of those folks who look forward to January/February to purchase GS cookies, especially the Thin Mints and Samoas.
    All 3 of my nieces were Girl Scouts so I was always good for several boxes. Now they are grown and no Girl Scouts come door to door but my hubby's boss was selling them. He asked me what he should buy and I gave him a stern look b/c I am still dieting and all bets would be off if some Samoas or Thin Mints were in the house. So, we agreed on the shortbread Trefoils, which are his favorite, and don't tempt me in the least.

Now that I've lost 100 pounds I find the diet going so much slower. It's getting discouraging but I have to keep reminding myself of how far I have come. I have found that this no carb, no dairy, no fruit, soy-based protein diet is keeping me sated, giving me the nutrients I need, and helping me lose the weight slowly.
    You've done so well. Just keep telling yourself that any loss is still a loss. Just so the scale doesn't go in the opposite direction, consider it a win.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by umngirl View Post
    Looking for some advice. But first, I should probably share some background. I'm in my early-mid 20s. I would consider myself pretty healthy (5'4" and weigh 167 lbs.) I've been an athlete my whole life so I'm more muscular and toned than most of my friends. Other than the year after after two knee surgeries where I went up to 190 pounds, I've always weighed between 150-165 since I've stopped growing. I also workout 4-6 days a week, for 30-90 minutes depending on my schedule. Now, I'm not trying to lose a bunch of weight. Truthfully, I'd settle for 10 pounds, or even just getting under 160 again. I actually think I eat pretty healthy. I like fresh fruit, I do eat salads usually one meal a day. I eat my far share of protein, I love drinking milk (I blame the WI roots), and I try to eat good portions. My obstacles for losing the weight seems to be my mindless snacking and my ever present chocolate weakness. I tried cutting out chocolate once and I ended up getting headaches and craving it even more than before. But the snacking is probably my main issue. I find that on the rare occasions I am at home, I end up snacking way more and often past the point when I'm no longer hungry. I've tried healthier snacks, but I still overeat those. I don't keep much junk food in my place, so it's really anything that's available and all is empty calories. Anyone have any advice on how I can help curb my snacking issues? I'm about ready to resort to just working out even more so I don't have to deal with the snacking issue.
    Umngirl I am curious if you are working out correctly or if your workout regimen is the right one for you? A friend of mine developed his own training regimen and lost a lot of weight. Once the weight came off, he tried a new regimen but wasn't getting the results he wanted. He talked to a trainer and changed his routine and how he was working out and now is more cut and defined.

As for the snacking and chocolate, I'm right there with you! Once I gave up alcohol, my body was craving sugar like it never had before. I was never a sweet eater, salty snacks were my preference. Not anymore, I want chocolate and I want it all the time. I do buy it in bulk and cannot have it by my side at any time. If I want some, I have to get up and go get it from another room. I am trying to substitute crunchy veggies and crunchy granny smith apples and that helps somewhat. Chocolate lasts a lot longer around here now.

Are you still a student? Give yourself rules. No snacking while studying, you must go have a snack at the kitchen table. Allot your studying time and your snacking time. It's better for you because you kill two birds with one stone, because breaks are needed too. Buying snacks in the little sizes are more expensive, so just do it yourself. Buy those mini sandwich bags and put your snacks into one of those and limit yourself to just one little baggie. You've gotten some other great ideas from others. Good luck to you.

Congrats to all who are losing weight and getting healthy! Thanks for sharing your tips.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie
    When the weather gets nice I will be walking and riding my bike. Because of a weak bladder I can't do some exercises. I have a trampoline I would love to jump on but I refuse to pee myself all the time I am jumping.
    I don't want to make light of your problem, but the way you worded this, I laughed. This is one of the aging issues that is so cruel for us women. Is there anytime in our life when we can catch a break and not have liquids leaking out of our bodies?
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Umngirl I am curious if you are working out correctly or if your workout regimen is the right one for you? A friend of mine developed his own training regimen and lost a lot of weight. Once the weight came off, he tried a new regimen but wasn't getting the results he wanted. He talked to a trainer and changed his routine and how he was working out and now is more cut and defined.

As for the snacking and chocolate, I'm right there with you! Once I gave up alcohol, my body was craving sugar like it never had before. I was never a sweet eater, salty snacks were my preference. Not anymore, I want chocolate and I want it all the time. I do buy it in bulk and cannot have it by my side at any time. If I want some, I have to get up and go get it from another room. I am trying to substitute crunchy veggies and crunchy granny smith apples and that helps somewhat. Chocolate lasts a lot longer around here now.

Are you still a student? Give yourself rules. No snacking while studying, you must go have a snack at the kitchen table. Allot your studying time and your snacking time. It's better for you because you kill two birds with one stone, because breaks are needed too. Buying snacks in the little sizes are more expensive, so just do it yourself. Buy those mini sandwich bags and put your snacks into one of those and limit yourself to just one little baggie. You've gotten some other great ideas from others. Good luck to you.

Congrats to all who are losing weight and getting healthy! Thanks for sharing your tips.

I don't want to make light of your problem, but the way you worded this, I laughed. This is one of the aging issues that is so cruel for us women. Is there anytime in our life when we can catch a break and not have liquids leaking out of our bodies?
    Nope there isn't. Sucks.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by umngirl
    My obstacles for losing the weight seems to be my mindless snacking and my ever present chocolate weakness. I tried cutting out chocolate once and I ended up getting headaches and craving it even more than before. But the snacking is probably my main issue. I find that on the rare occasions I am at home, I end up snacking way more and often past the point when I'm no longer hungry. I've tried healthier snacks, but I still overeat those. I don't keep much junk food in my place, so it's really anything that's available and all is empty calories. Anyone have any advice on how I can help curb my snacking issues? I'm about ready to resort to just working out even more so I don't have to deal with the snacking issue.
    Do you drink plenty of water through the day? One of the main reason we turn to snacks is our bodies are telling us we are hungry and we're really thirsty.
    I used to be a chocoholic. It's my one dietary weakness and I still have a full bar (oh, about once or twice a month cause I must) but I knocked down the chocolate to just a square or two of really really good dark chocolate a day. Make sure it's really good, if it's not a 10 out of 10, don't eat it. You deserve better.
    Same goes with snacks. Take a moment and ask yourself, is it a ten? Do you really want it? If not, find something else. Get the empty calorie snacks out of the house completely. We have teenagers and they complain about not having crackers and crap, so I buy one box of crackers a week. For them. To share.
    However, we always have a lot of fruits. Nuts. Vegetable spreads or hummus for wasa or multigrain melba toasts. Whole grain tortillas with spreads. Tons of yogourt in the fridge. My favourite snack (I eat this every day), is a cup of berries, or mixed fruit, which I buy frozen, add a half cup of plain greek or biobest yogourt and a quarter cup of granola on top (I used Quaker harvest crunch for my sweet tooth). It's a heavy bowlful of food by the time you put it together and only 250 calories and packed with nutrition.
    There are TONS of healthy choices out there!
    You may find you are still snacking a lot on the nutritious stuff but at least you are taking in great worthwhile calories... and eventually your tastes will change and you'll feel so great. (Not bloated, and all the other nasty secondary effects fat and sugar give you... if you know what I mean) I couldn't go back to junk food mainly because it makes me feel like crap.
    In the end though, it has to be a choice you make... not to eat stuff you're not hungry for. Good luck!

EastCoastMom, 100 lbs is so impressive! Congrats!
    Ellen and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

+ Reply to Thread