+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

It looks to me like you already have the excercise thing going well as is. Unless you really want to, there's no reason to become an exercise fanatic. I've found they can become way too obsessive about it.

As to what you eat, I have found that rather than trying to dramatically change what you can or can't eat, by cutting out things you love, & then eventually "breaking" & binging on them, it's sometimes good to try changing one or two little things at a time.

For instance, you said you love milk. Almond milk tastes surprisingly like regular milk. It's even richer tasting than skim or 1% milk. But it has about 1/3 the calories, more fiber, less fat, more vitamins. More of the good stuff, but less of the bad. The one called "Original Non-Sweetened" is what I buy. It really does taste like milk.

Another is snacking. Evening snacking is my downfall too. If I have a bag of cookies, or M&M's, or ice cream, or anything else like that around, I will eat at least half of it in one sitting, if not the whole pack. Therefore, I just don't keep it in the house. If you're dying for sweets & don't have any around, you'll either find something else, not so bad, in the house or have to go out & get something. Personally, I don't want to go out & get it, so I eat what's in the house.

Another thing is the walking, although that's not an option here in the Winter. Rather than take up a new exercise routine, do something cheap that you can do right outside your own door. No expensive fees or equipment needed & you do it on your own time schedule. Walking is not only exercise, it also enables you to think things through. You can also look at & appreciate the little things in your surroundings. It can improve my mood dramatically, plus makes me feel better about myself having done something good for myself.
    I decided on my color scheme for my siding & windows while walking & looking at the houses I walked past. I saw what did or didn't look right. You can get ideas for your yard too.
    I've found that when I get home, I'm not really all that hungry. I have no idea why. I snack way less in the Summer.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by umngirl View Post
    Looking for some advice. But first, I should probably share some background. I'm in my early-mid 20s. I would consider myself pretty healthy (5'4" and weigh 167 lbs.) I've been an athlete my whole life so I'm more muscular and toned than most of my friends. Other than the year after after two knee surgeries where I went up to 190 pounds, I've always weighed between 150-165 since I've stopped growing. I also workout 4-6 days a week, for 30-90 minutes depending on my schedule. Now, I'm not trying to lose a bunch of weight. Truthfully, I'd settle for 10 pounds, or even just getting under 160 again. I actually think I eat pretty healthy. I like fresh fruit, I do eat salads usually one meal a day. I eat my far share of protein, I love drinking milk (I blame the WI roots), and I try to eat good portions. My obstacles for losing the weight seems to be my mindless snacking and my ever present chocolate weakness. I tried cutting out chocolate once and I ended up getting headaches and craving it even more than before. But the snacking is probably my main issue. I find that on the rare occasions I am at home, I end up snacking way more and often past the point when I'm no longer hungry. I've tried healthier snacks, but I still overeat those. I don't keep much junk food in my place, so it's really anything that's available and all is empty calories. Anyone have any advice on how I can help curb my snacking issues? I'm about ready to resort to just working out even more so I don't have to deal with the snacking issue.
    I agree that the chocolate headaches could be caffeine. I used to get them when I stopped drinking Diet Pepsi. They do eventually go away. Or you can substitute. I tend to drink a cup of coffee or tea in the morning now instead of pop.

I had the same issue for a while where I was exercising, but wasn't at the weight I was happy with. My overall diet was the major difference to me. I have to put less food on my plate than I think I need. It is usually still plenty to fill me up! Sugary snacks were also a biggest issue. I love me some sugar! I agree wholeheartedly with the previous poster that it is better to limit your intake than deprive yourself completely and then end up binging later!!

The hardest part about maintaining at the moment is this stupid cold weather! I hate running at the gym. Let me outside!!! The Girl Scout cookies my daughter is selling now aren't helping either!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm hoping for a big day tomorrow - I hope to hit 30 pounds lost, and a total of 500 miles racked up on my Fitbit. I will NOT be celebrating with a hot fudge sundae.

AZ, if you don't reach the 500 miles you could always walk to Phoenix... ;^)

ClosetRTWatcher, or any other Girl Scout moms out there, is there any movement at all to stop selling cookies??? Fundraisers should have healthful goals in mind. IMO it's not at all ok that we tell our kids pushing sugar is an acceptable pursuit.
    AZChristian likes this.

I don't buy Girl Scout cookies because they still contain trans-fats (look at the ingredient list!) and HFCS.
    And, honestly, after baking my own, or buying cookies from local bakers at the farmers' markets, I don't even like Girl Scout cookies.
    However, as I do remember the PITA of having to peddle these vile things when I was a wee lass (and *do like* most of what GS does), I just make a donation equivalent to a box of cookies to each GS who asks, and tell her to either donate it to the organization, or to use it to give a box to someone who really wants it, but can't afford.
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I don't buy Girl Scout cookies because they still contain trans-fats (look at the ingredient list!) and HFCS.
    There is virtually no difference between HFCS and table sugar, just slightly more fructose to glucose. They're both poisonous.

I just make a donation equivalent to a box of cookies
    That's my approach too. Usually there is an established charity, like shipping the boxes to the troops for those of us who won't bring the boxes home.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    ClosetRTWatcher, or any other Girl Scout moms out there, is there any movement at all to stop selling cookies??? Fundraisers should have healthful goals in mind. IMO it's not at all ok that we tell our kids pushing sugar is an acceptable pursuit.
    I have not heard of any movement to stop cookie selling. I guess it's never crossed my mind that selling cookies is "unacceptable". Especially considering all the other sugary junk that gets sold for fundraising activities. I generally hate fundraising, but more often than not people are excited to see a Girl Scout selling cookies at their door. I cannot imagine that the organization as a whole would opt to ban one of the most popular fundraisers around.

In addition, I prefer to teach "all things in moderation" rather than instilling a complete ban on things like fats and sugar with my kids.
    Miss Scarlet and Eastcoastmom like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm one of those folks who look forward to January/February to purchase GS cookies, especially the Thin Mints and Samoas.
    All 3 of my nieces were Girl Scouts so I was always good for several boxes. Now they are grown and no Girl Scouts come door to door but my hubby's boss was selling them. He asked me what he should buy and I gave him a stern look b/c I am still dieting and all bets would be off if some Samoas or Thin Mints were in the house. So, we agreed on the shortbread Trefoils, which are his favorite, and don't tempt me in the least.

Now that I've lost 100 pounds I find the diet going so much slower. It's getting discouraging but I have to keep reminding myself of how far I have come. I have found that this no carb, no dairy, no fruit, soy-based protein diet is keeping me sated, giving me the nutrients I need, and helping me lose the weight slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I have not heard of any movement to stop cookie selling. I guess it's never crossed my mind that selling cookies is "unacceptable". Especially considering all the other sugary junk that gets sold for fundraising activities. I generally hate fundraising, but more often than not people are excited to see a Girl Scout selling cookies at their door. I cannot imagine that the organization as a whole would opt to ban one of the most popular fundraisers around.
    It's unacceptable because diabetes and other chronic diseases associated with insulin resistance are now pandemic. Because the food industry has altered our biochemistry and now the only workable option is to remove access to sugar. "All things in moderation" is no longer realistic if it's left to self-control. I don't know how long the GS has been selling cookies but I suspect it has been at least decades and started at a time when we weren't in our current health crisis. You don't have to ban fats (not really the problem) or sugar. You do need to severely limit how much sugar your children eat. But even if they aren't eating the cookies themselves they're being told that it's ok to force this poison on others for their own gain.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    It's unacceptable because diabetes and other chronic diseases associated with insulin resistance are now pandemic. Because the food industry has altered our biochemistry and now the only workable option is to remove access to sugar. "All things in moderation" is no longer realistic if it's left to self-control. I don't know how long the GS has been selling cookies but I suspect it has been at least decades and started at a time when we weren't in our current health crisis. You don't have to ban fats (not really the problem) or sugar. You do need to severely limit how much sugar your children eat. But even if they aren't eating the cookies themselves they're being told that it's ok to force this poison on others for their own gain.
    This sounds like a case where we will have to agree to disagree. Nobody is being "forced" to buy Girl Scout cookies in this scenario. Part of being a free society is having choice. If we were going to "remove access" to all things that were bad for people then we would need to get rid of a whole lot more than sugar!
    TripleGemini and nennie like this.

+ Reply to Thread