+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

I make cookies with banana mashed into oatmeal and a touch of vanilla mash it up until it is similar to cookie dough, bake it at 350 on parchment paper for about 8 minutes. You can add nuts or chocolate chips if you like.
    You won't be able to convince yourself that they are brown sugar and butter filled cookies but they take the edge off.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

tbamom, I like that! Sounds like a great recipe to do just a few cookies at a time.

What kind of proportion of banana to oatmeal?

I don't know enough about baking. Why is parchment paper used?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    tbamom, I like that! Sounds like a great recipe to do just a few cookies at a time.

What kind of proportion of banana to oatmeal?

I don't know enough about baking. Why is parchment paper used?
    I use parchment paper to line all baking sheets. Nothing sticks to it. For these cookies there is no fat so you need something to prevent sticking. I find parchment also helps to control the heat distribution so you don't get burnt bottoms.

Ingredients
    2 large bananas, mashed
    2 cups gluten free oats
    If desired you can add in some of the following:
    vanilla extract
    vanilla beans
    chocolate chips
    peanut butter chips
    butterscotch
    dried cranberries
    raisins
    chopped walnuts, almond or pecans
    coconut flakes
    cocoa nibs
    Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Mash your banana and the oats. If you are adding something else mix it in.
    Brooks likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Looking for some advice. But first, I should probably share some background. I'm in my early-mid 20s. I would consider myself pretty healthy (5'4" and weigh 167 lbs.) I've been an athlete my whole life so I'm more muscular and toned than most of my friends. Other than the year after after two knee surgeries where I went up to 190 pounds, I've always weighed between 150-165 since I've stopped growing. I also workout 4-6 days a week, for 30-90 minutes depending on my schedule. Now, I'm not trying to lose a bunch of weight. Truthfully, I'd settle for 10 pounds, or even just getting under 160 again. I actually think I eat pretty healthy. I like fresh fruit, I do eat salads usually one meal a day. I eat my far share of protein, I love drinking milk (I blame the WI roots), and I try to eat good portions. My obstacles for losing the weight seems to be my mindless snacking and my ever present chocolate weakness. I tried cutting out chocolate once and I ended up getting headaches and craving it even more than before. But the snacking is probably my main issue. I find that on the rare occasions I am at home, I end up snacking way more and often past the point when I'm no longer hungry. I've tried healthier snacks, but I still overeat those. I don't keep much junk food in my place, so it's really anything that's available and all is empty calories. Anyone have any advice on how I can help curb my snacking issues? I'm about ready to resort to just working out even more so I don't have to deal with the snacking issue.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

We've all been there. Celery? Baby carrots? Those both have crunch and not many calories. A really huge salad with dark leafy greens, beans, onions, and balsamic vinegar for a dressing? If you have a Magic Bullet, a good dressing is a peeled orange and a handful of cashews, blended. I make a crockpot veggie soup with canned tomato soup, black beans, garlic, cabbage, frozen veggies, etc. Only takes a few minutes to throw together and then I can eat all weekend (my danger snacking time) and eat as much as I want. I know some days are just "hollow days" when all you want to do is eat past the point of hunger. Sounds like you're doing everything right. There's a supplement called Garcinia Cambogia that has helped me... gets the body to burn fat as energy and curbs hunger. My sister didn't like it, but it works for me. None of that raw, itchy energy that too much caffeine give me, but plenty of good energy. We have a thread you have to request, called the Chub Club if you want join us.
    Chocolate? Do you know about cacao nibs?
    Count your blessings!

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

We've been on a high-protein kick since October. I'm in my 60s, hubby is in his 70s. We've eaten more chocolate in our lives than you can imagine. But with the protein, we don't seem to crave it. We've each lost about 30 pounds.

It's probably losing the caffeine in the chocolate that's causing your headaches, and that will pass.

Once in a while, I treat myself to a spoon of peanut butter, but we've gotten rid of most of the junk food in the house. We've also found that (even though it's more expensive), buying things in snack sizes helps. Instead of eating LOTS of peanuts, we eat only the pre-packaged amount. It satisfies the craving, but keeps us from mindlessly snacking. And when we go out to eat, we tell the servers NO BREAD and NO POTATOES, and we often split a meal. But we haven't given up things we love . . . we're just eating less of it.

Good luck!

My husband and I are on a dieting regime and I buy the 100 calorie snack size treats. I don't feel like I am deprived. If you are serious about weight loss you have to bite the bullet and get on one that works for you. I love sugar treats so I had to learn to limit it. I also buy the snack size almonds and eat them. When we started dieting I refused to give up taste so I cook things we like and substitute things lower calorie in a lot but also if I like it and it is higher calorie I cut the portion in half and eat more veggies. My husband has lost 16 lbs and I have lost 8 1/2. It is slower coming off but it stays off better that way. It has been so cold and snowy here i haven't been able to get out and walk but when it warms up I can. Don't have a place to put exercise equipment.
    AZChristian and Eastcoastmom like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I find that lack of exercise impacts my weight loss more than diet flubs.
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.
    Count your blessings!

When the weather gets nice I will be walking and riding my bike. Because of a weak bladder I can't do some exercises. I have a trampoline I would love to jump on but I refuse to pee myself all the time I am jumping.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by umngirl View Post
    Looking for some advice. But first, I should probably share some background. I'm in my early-mid 20s. I would consider myself pretty healthy (5'4" and weigh 167 lbs.) I've been an athlete my whole life so I'm more muscular and toned than most of my friends. Other than the year after after two knee surgeries where I went up to 190 pounds, I've always weighed between 150-165 since I've stopped growing. I also workout 4-6 days a week, for 30-90 minutes depending on my schedule. Now, I'm not trying to lose a bunch of weight.
    Exercise is a great habit, congratulations! It doesn’t really have to do with weight loss, though, it’s more about being healthy. And creating more places where blood glucose can be burned. Otherwise it’s just a way to build up an appetite and then you’re likely to eat more, LOL.

“Mindful eating” is one of the recommendations. Don’t eat anything on the fly. Sit down and be intimately aware of what you’re eating.

In the evening when you’re done with your official food, put everything away and **brush your teeth**.

Getting enough sleep is actually critical. Otherwise the hormones leptin (which curbs your appetite) goes down and gherlin (which increases your appetite) goes up. Very difficult to lose any weight if you’re in chronic sleep deficit.

The chocolate problem probably isn’t chocolate, it probably isn’t really chocolate anyway unless you’re seeking out dark chocolate and staying away from the milk chocolate crap. Someone mentioned the issue of headaches from caffeine in chocolate. That’s a possibility. Perhaps going cold turkey isn’t the way to do it, but try to gradually cut way back on any milk chocolate.

Easy availability is probably 80% of the problem because the food industry has made this stuff addictive. You said you don’t keep much junk food but it’s anything available and all empty calories. That indicates there’s still stuff there.

What helps me as much as anything is being engaged in scary books about nutrition, LOL. My goal is nutrient dense, high fiber, and no “whites” except for cauliflower. Two really excellent books are Robert Lustig’s “Fat Chance” and David Kessler’s “The End of Overeating”. Because it’s not about gluttony and sloth (and you know you’re not a sloth!!). It’s about the biochemistry, and the obscene things the food industry has done to us to make overeating addictive. Lustig also has a wonderful virus video called "The Bitter Truth".

The other piece that has made a difference for me has been trying to improve my diet by working certain things into my routine, which means other things have to drop out. That also meant finding satisfying snacks. My go-to snack is celery sticks with gobs of almond nut butter. The one I really like is Whole Foods. They grind it in the store and there’s nothing else in it. It takes just sweet enough to me that it satisfies. Plus the excellent fats in it help satisfy too. I needed to lose some weight but I decided to go very gradually in coordination with eating better.

+ Reply to Thread