+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Re: The Highs and Lows of Dieting

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Fanny, I know you've said to me privately in the past to reward myself from time to time with something small (I was thinking a new handbag while you were thinking a Hershey's kiss ) but I am afraid I will wake up the beast b/c honestly who can eat just 1 Hershey's kiss?

Ellen, I know you mean well but if I could walk a block I would not be in the shape I am now. My knees are shot. It's all I can do to do 20 minutes to a half-hour on the stationary bike each day. I do know that moderation is the key, so maybe one day I will be able to have my beloved sweets from time to time....just not a half of a blueberry muffin every day after breakfast.
    I think you have to do, or, not do what is right for you. I don't struggle with my weight, I have to tone up! I am lazy sort when I am depressed. I eat bags of chips and feel awful after. I think you are doing so well, and, as you lose more weight, your knees will feel stronger
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Is anyone following the Paleo diet? Several friends suggested I use Paleo recipes for my son now that he can't eat anything "white". The hardest part I'm having is side dishes and desserts (he has a bit of a sweet tooth). Thanks!

I follow the "nutritarian" diet (Dr. Joel Fuhrman - "Eat to Live"). One easy sweet tooth satisfier is to peel and cut ripe bananas and freeze them. Then blend with a small handful of walnuts and almond milk (or soy/coconut/hemp milk) If he can have milk, I guess you could use that. It is just like Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey.
    Count your blessings!

IIRC, Paleo is dairy-free. I had a friend who tried it for a while, so I did some research. It's really not a very healthy diet to be on for any length of time. It's beyond "no white food."

If you go to Free Stuff Times • Free stuff, samples, and everything free posted all day long! they have a list of free Kindle books every day. There are often diet cookbooks. I found a good number of Paleo ones there when my friend was on that diet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I follow the "nutritarian" diet (Dr. Joel Fuhrman - "Eat to Live"). One easy sweet tooth satisfier is to peel and cut ripe bananas and freeze them. Then blend with a small handful of walnuts and almond milk (or soy/coconut/hemp milk) If he can have milk, I guess you could use that. It is just like Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey.
    TG didn't explain why his son can't eat anything white. Diabetes? Gluten sensitivity? Bananas are pretty high in carbs.

This is more of a snack than a side dish or dessert, but my Go-To for a while has been celery sticks double-dipped in plain almond nut butter (I love the simple one that Whole Foods grounds fresh). To me there's a sweetness to it and I guess the (good) fats are satisfying, so it keeps me from raiding my husband's cookie stash. (My other emergency Go-To is a large spoonful gob of chicken salad that is usually in the frig.) Raisins and dates are a nutritional source of sweetness, if the carb count isn't an issue. Sweet fruits in yogurt?

Thanks, everyone :-)

My son has joined a military-prep gym, where he typically works out 2-3 hours 5 days a week. He's currently 16, 6'1, 215 pounds. (He's lost 5 pounds in the last month.) He's allowed bananas because of the potassium and fiber.

I've been able to "healthify" many of my recipes by making minor switches...whole wheat pastry flour for pancakes, no refined sugars (so I use agave, molasses, honey, unsweetened applesauce, and bananas, depending on what I'm making), natural peanut butter, naturally sweetened jam. He's also allowed to have eggs and milk (they'd prefer he drank skim, but we're sticking with 1%).

And he has a sweet tooth, so he hates that there aren't any cookies or other snacks available. I made granola bars a couple of weeks ago, which were OK for awhile, but he would really like some variety :-)

He's not gluten-sensitive, he doesn't have diabetes. I went with Paleo because it seemed to have the only non-white flour/non-sugar recipes (diabetics can have flour, it seems, or so most the recipes I found imply).

TripleGemini, thanks for the clarification.

Flour isn't ok for diabetics. The ADA wimped out and condones carb counting, when what really needs to happen is avoiding sugars and starches. So you're right, there are plenty of "diabetic" recipes that include flour, but that doesn't make them appropriate for diabetics.

You could look into alternative flours like almond and hazelnut that are lower carb and higher fiber. Agave, molasses and honey have nutrients that sugar doesn't have, but they're still overwhelmingly sugar, which doesn't sound like what the gym is encouraging (although possibly they don't understand it themselves). My suggestion is to go with recipes where the sugar source is balanced out by fat and/or protein and/or fiber. I'll bet your granola bars fit that description. ;^)

When I was a lot more strict with my nutritarian diet than I have been lately, one of my favorite snacks was (and still is) baby carrots with hummus. You get that "crunch" that's hard to find and a rich "meaty" mouth feel.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    TripleGemini, thanks for the clarification.

Flour isn't ok for diabetics. The ADA wimped out and condones carb counting, when what really needs to happen is avoiding sugars and starches. So you're right, there are plenty of "diabetic" recipes that include flour, but that doesn't make them appropriate for diabetics.

You could look into alternative flours like almond and hazelnut that are lower carb and higher fiber. Agave, molasses and honey have nutrients that sugar doesn't have, but they're still overwhelmingly sugar, which doesn't sound like what the gym is encouraging (although possibly they don't understand it themselves). My suggestion is to go with recipes where the sugar source is balanced out by fat and/or protein and/or fiber. I'll bet your granola bars fit that description. ;^)
    Thanks, Brooks :-) I was pretty sure that flour wasn't OK for diabetics, which is why I thought I could find some decent recipes...but I just wasn't having any success.

I actually have more nutritional knowledge than the folks at the gym (they keep trying to convince me that processed chicken patties are "good food", and even though they get some that are low carb, they still have a lot of what I consider icky stuff in them, especially sodium). I know that the natural sugars are still sugar, but my kid has a wicked sweet tooth (encouraged by his father), so I'm trying to come up with alternatives that help him ease back on the sweetness while still leaving him satisfied.

Good news: he hasn't had a soda or candy bar, and only one ice cream (Friday's "Ice Cream Social Day" at school) in a month. That's HUGE.

Almond flour, coconut flour, and coconut sugar are on this week's grocery list, along with freeze-dried fruit and our staples, bananas and unsweetened applesauce.

Next up after trying out some of the cookie recipes I've found is things he can eat when he gets home that are lower in carbs that still fill him up. He ate a half-pound of tuna and a cup of pureed cauliflower last night, and he was still hungry. (Then again, he'd worked out at the gym for 2 hours and then swam for 2 hours.) I know he'll drop weight more quickly if I can get this diet thing figured out. (And as long as he's doing these workouts, he's never going to be "slim" because his muscles are getting bigger. I can just barely wrap my hands around his biceps, and I'm not all that small...my hand span from thumb to pinky is about 8".)

Oh, side benefit: I've lost four pounds so far this month. But I don't have a sweet tooth :-)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

For dessert sometimes I'll do the South Beach Diet ricotta creams.

Start with 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese and add a pack of alternative sweetener (the recipe calls for Splenda, but I use stevia/truvia*).

Then add lemon or lime juice, or cocoa powder. Stir in (Or use cocoa powder with a little espresso or instant coffee mixed in for mocha.) Makes a delicious cheesecake-like pudding.

*I just read that stevia can lower blood pressure and lower blood sugar levels, and it also can interfere with some diabetic medications.

+ Reply to Thread