+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Like Tree617Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

We have it at our local supermarket (Hannaford's) in both the fresh and frozen sections. I'm sure Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's would have it, too. I can also get small farm meat (lamb, beef, chicken) at our local farmer's market.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    For the past week in Belgium we pretty much lived off of waffles, chocolate, and beer... occasionally their local specialties of beef braised in dark beer or mussels in a cream sauce, oh, and fries with a creamed curry sauce. Those of you who know me, know that is the opposite of my normal diet. So now I'm home (and sick) so living off of crockpot veggie soup with extra garlic and salsa stirred in. After one day of it, I'm already starting to feel better.
    Wow...welcome back, and I hope you feel better soon!

Tonight was fried green tomatoes. I know...not exactly healthy, but I got fresh tomatoes from the CSA :-) (Along with a lot of other good stuff...I'll make three-bean salad to put up this week because I have about five pounds of beans, using the recipe from Flour Too.)
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Gutmutter, welcome back! Chocolate, beer and mussel...yum! I hope you feel better. I often get sick when I travel. Your soup sounds great too.

Cootie, how do you find local grass fed beef? Is it sold at Whole Foods?
    Hi Debb, no Whole Foods anywhere near my little town. I live in the biggest city (pop. 22,000) in my county and there are farms and ranches close by. I get my beef at our little farmer's market for $4.00 - $4.50 a pound directly from the ranch. That might sound expensive, but it is worth it. They also sell it at a little local goods store about a half mile from my house. It is delicious. I have never been that big into beef before, but really like the flavor of this meat.
    inthegarden likes this.

Cootie, are you in the midwest? I don't think you can purchase beef around here like that. One of my uncles used to raise beef cattle for sale, but he sold it to a company who slaughtered them and then sold them to stores. But, I just have no idea how to get it straight from the cattle owner or buy it before it goes to a retail store. I'll have to look into it.

I just spoke to my dad about it. I remember going to visit them and would see all the fields of cows roaming about. It didn't dawn on me until now that they were grass fed cows that would be sold as such. My uncle made a very good living doing this.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-05-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Cootie likes this.

We used to buy raw milk from a local dairy farmer... we'd take a gallon glass jar and he'd fill it with a dipper from the huge tank all the milk went in from the milking machines. We'd put it in the fridge or the outside pantry during cold weather and the cream would rise to the top. It tasted like cow, but you got used to it. I don't think it's legal anymore.
    Count your blessings!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Debb70 in your search engine, type in Where to find grass fed beef in (your state)? It should give you websites for grass fed beef producer's in your area. Also, the agriculture extension service website will have a list of locally grown products in your state. The Cattlemen's Association or The (your state) Cattlemen's Association is another good site for basic beef info. Good luck! Grass fed beef is worth the search.

Garden food... Zucchini boats, lima beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and corn.
    Cootie and Debb70 like this.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

We're having leftover leftovers. We went out to dinner at a nice steakhouse on Friday for our anniversary. We both had Steak Diane - which was melt-in-your-mouth tender and flat-out delicious. We couldn't eat it all, but the leftover pieces didn't seem to be big enough for a whole 'nother meal. So I used the steak as a base for beef stroganoff, and with the noodles and extras (I added in the leftover carrots and green beans from the original meal), there was enough for TWO meals for both of us. So that's why I'm calling it leftover leftovers.

Now that I'm retired and cooking at home, we are saving TONS of money on meals - and eating a lot better. Our local Safeway had "mix and match" buy one/get one free in the MEAT department, so I got enough chicken and pork loin chops for about 4 meals for both of us for $13. Can't beat that!

:-)
    TripleGemini and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Cootie, are you in the midwest? I don't think you can purchase beef around here like that. One of my uncles used to raise beef cattle for sale, but he sold it to a company who slaughtered them and then sold them to stores. But, I just have no idea how to get it straight from the cattle owner or buy it before it goes to a retail store. I'll have to look into it.

I just spoke to my dad about it. I remember going to visit them and would see all the fields of cows roaming about. It didn't dawn on me until now that they were grass fed cows that would be sold as such. My uncle made a very good living doing this.
    Hi Debb70, I live in Oregon - there are good Farmer's Markets in many cities in my state and most of them have fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, eggs, dairy and various proteins - seafood, beef and pork mostly. Portland is a fairly large city and farmers come from great distances to sell products from many parts of our state. I hope you can locate some easily. The beef I get is frozen and inspected and has the stamp of "Certified Organic Processor by the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture"
    inthegarden likes this.

Tonight was...nothing. My son had to work from 3:30 until 9:30 (and didn't get out of bed until noon), and my husband got called into work at 5:30 (pm). And I think maybe I ate a few too many fried green tomatoes last night ;-)...my body just didn't want *any* food today. So I made blue cheese dressing (because I will eventually make a salad!), and I made a batch of bread-and-butter pickles with this week's pickling cukes.

Tomorrow, I should be able to eat :-)
    Cootie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread