+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 145 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103143 ... LastLast
Like Tree617Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Mmm, LOVE shepherd's pie, Fanny. Do you use lamb or ground beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Mmm, LOVE shepherd's pie, Fanny. Do you use lamb or ground beef?
    I have used both. Tonight is lean ground beef. I do love a shepherd's pie, it always reminds me of my grandmother Hers were the very best!
    M_shelll likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Fried green tomatoes :-) (And wow, do I have a lot of veggies to go through this week...just my half is two heads of lettuce (we got six heads, but the person I share with eats more salad than we do), two cukes, two zucchinis, two yellow squash, a couple of pounds of green beans, a pint of cherry tomatoes, and two bunches of bok choy. And a half-dozen eggs. And I picked up some heirloom tomatoes, too.
    Cootie, inthegarden and I'm here like this.

There's not much I love more than a seafood dinner! Yummy! I do like to go out and eat it though, so I can get all different types.

Has anyone ever gone to a restaurant and had the steamed crab legs? I've only had them at home and they were WONDERFUL. I think I prefer them over lobtster tail. I've always wondered if I would feel awkward cracking them in the restaurant, though I think some places will come and do it for you.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm not very adept at cracking crab legs and I'm not real wild about them. I like crab fingers better than crab legs. I've had them both sauteed and fried and they're great either way!

Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Fried green tomatoes :-) (And wow, do I have a lot of veggies to go through this week...just my half is two heads of lettuce (we got six heads, but the person I share with eats more salad than we do), two cukes, two zucchinis, two yellow squash, a couple of pounds of green beans, a pint of cherry tomatoes, and two bunches of bok choy. And a half-dozen eggs. And I picked up some heirloom tomatoes, too.
    Mmmmm Mmmmmm MMMMMMM... I LOVE fried green tomatoes!!! OMG! I am in such a mood for those! I might just have to make them tonight.

Thanks for the mention....

*mouth watering*
    TripleGemini likes this.

Oh, I've never had crab fingers. It would be unfortunate if I would like them better than just steamed with a little butter, because I might hurt myself from eating too many! lol

I'm pretty good at cracking legs and getting just about the full amount of meat out. You do improve with practice. It's a lot of work, but worth every bite!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    There's not much I love more than a seafood dinner! Yummy! I do like to go out and eat it though, so I can get all different types.

Has anyone ever gone to a restaurant and had the steamed crab legs? I've only had them at home and they were WONDERFUL. I think I prefer them over lobtster tail. I've always wondered if I would feel awkward cracking them in the restaurant, though I think some places will come and do it for you.
    Almost every weekend we go out to a restaurant for crab legs (in the summer). Way more expensive than if we had them at home... but, going out... NO clean-up. I don't feel awkward at all about cracking them open. Although, my hubby feels so awkward with the amount of napkins I use..... messy... messy... messy!!! If there are paper towels on the table (which a lot of the restaurants put on the table) I will use the entire roll.

OoOoOoOo so yummy!

Growing up at the beach... I am quite a seafood lover! Hard shelled crabs being my favorite. Nothing better than sitting on the deck... in the evening...at the beach... with a cold cocktail and a bushel of spicy crabs. Love snow crab legs too.... and they are much easier to crack open.
    inthegarden and Debb70 like this.

Last night was chicken parmesan casserole (because I had a bunch of baked chicken left over).

Of course, now we have lots of casserole left over ;-)

Because I got lots of zucchini and summer squash this week, I decided to make a "squash and cheese" casserole. (Cut the squash into disks, steam until just al dente, and drain for a really long time. Add a little bit of butter, salt, and pepper, and layer in a casserole with cheese...tonight was Muenster. Top with panko and grated parmesan, Bake until everything is melty and the panko browns.)

So when my husband went to pick up my son from work, I had him stop and the store and get some kind of steak (my suggestions were sirloin or sirloin tips.) He came home with four 6-8 oz eye rounds.

If you've never cooked them, they have to be braised. Otherwise, they're tough.

So I sauteed some onions in some olive oil. Then I took the onions out and seared the steaks (seasoned with salt and pepper and lightly dredged in flour). I added the onions back in, and then I added about a cup and a half of beef stock, not quite a half cup of balsamic vinegar, and not quite a quarter cup of black cherry balsamic vinegar. (In other words, I didn't have any wine.) Put the heat on low and cover for an hour and a half.

Wow...they were really good. They were *so* tender and had a bit of bite (from the vinegars), but not too much. After I took the meat out of the pan, I mixed together some butter and flour and made a sauce with the onions and leftover juices.

I was very proud of myself (in case you couldn't tell ;-) ). Eye round is not my favorite cut of beef, but maybe I'll get it more often now.

+ Reply to Thread