+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 169 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast
Like Tree770Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

15 bean soup

Left overs.... corned beef, cabbage, red skinned potatoes, stringbeans and irish sodabread. It was MMMMMMM MMMMMM GOOD! Can't wait for more!

Breakfast for dinner.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Grilled veggie stacks featuring portobello mushrooms, etc., from yesterday's trip to the La Jolla farmers' market.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Last night was shrimp scampi with homemade pasta and scala bread. (Two of my son's friends came over for dinner...it was a lot of fun! Especially since they were girls...I'd forgotten how much teenage girls can talk ;-) )

Tonight was boiled dinner.

Tomorrow? Leftovers! (Assuming there's anything left...after my son ate boiled dinner tonight, he fell asleep because lacrosse practice wore him out. When he woke up, he ate most of the leftover scampi. And tomorrow might end up being a snow day...I'm really ready for winter to be over.)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Last night was shrimp scampi with homemade pasta and scala bread. (Two of my son's friends came over for dinner...it was a lot of fun! Especially since they were girls...I'd forgotten how much teenage girls can talk ;-) )

Tonight was boiled dinner.

Tomorrow? Leftovers! (Assuming there's anything left...after my son ate boiled dinner tonight, he fell asleep because lacrosse practice wore him out. When he woke up, he ate most of the leftover scampi. And tomorrow might end up being a snow day...I'm really ready for winter to be over.)
    Triple Gemini, educate me please - what is boiled dinner? I don't think that is anything I know. I enjoy your posts of having a teenage son who is athletic and hungry! I remember those days but they are behind me now. I can now buy more expensive food and less of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Triple Gemini, educate me please - what is boiled dinner? I don't think that is anything I know. I enjoy your posts of having a teenage son who is athletic and hungry! I remember those days but they are behind me now. I can now buy more expensive food and less of it.
    Cootie, boiled dinner is a New England thing, typically served on St. Patrick's Day (although most of us enjoy it year round). I make mine by simmering a corned beef in water for about 5 hrs, and then I add carrots, turnip, potatoes, and cabbage. (I've also seen people make it with beets, but since I'm the only one who likes them, I leave them out.) I use baby carrots, and I chop the turnip and potatoes into pretty big chunks (about an inch-and-a-half to two inches.)

It takes about another hour for the veggies to be done, by which time the corned beef is also finished.

Yum :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Cootie, boiled dinner is a New England thing, typically served on St. Patrick's Day (although most of us enjoy it year round). I make mine by simmering a corned beef in water for about 5 hrs, and then I add carrots, turnip, potatoes, and cabbage. (I've also seen people make it with beets, but since I'm the only one who likes them, I leave them out.) I use baby carrots, and I chop the turnip and potatoes into pretty big chunks (about an inch-and-a-half to two inches.)
    It takes about another hour for the veggies to be done, by which time the corned beef is also finished.

Yum :-)
    Interesting - kind of like a stew then. Adding beets would make it pretty colorful. Sounds like a great winter dinner!

Eggplant Parmesan for supper tonight
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Beef Stroganoff

+ Reply to Thread