+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 173 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

We had steak fingers, potatoes, corn and gravy.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    A trip to memory lane!!!!! You just sent me back on my trip to Ireland... a few years back. The most AMAZING time was had! Words just can't describe it well enough. While enjoying the land and people I was in search of "corned beef and cabbage". (as thats what I grew up having... in my Irish home). Never found corned beef there... infact when I would ask... some people would look at me crazy. Without a doubt... they make the BEST ham and buttered cabbage. *mouth watering*

Thanks for the trip back in time.....
    Glad I could help :-) I'm currently the only one eating the leftovers...I'm glad I bought a small ham :-) (Also, growing up, my mom always made boiled ham and cabbage. It wasn't until I moved to the Boston area 30+ years ago that I switched to corned beef.)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Glad I could help :-) I'm currently the only one eating the leftovers...I'm glad I bought a small ham :-) (Also, growing up, my mom always made boiled ham and cabbage. It wasn't until I moved to the Boston area 30+ years ago that I switched to corned beef.)

I like both... but I think I like corned beef better. Not sure if I like it better because its what I remember of my past. When I make ham instead of corned beef... something just seems to be missing. OR maybe because I have ham more often than corned beef??? What ever the reason is... I love the meal.

I make a big pot of it... add tons of cabbage and potatoes. Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmm Mmmmmm!!!! I'm glad its this time of the year!!! As its the ONLY time I make this meal.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    I like both... but I think I like corned beef better. Not sure if I like it better because its what I remember of my past. When I make ham instead of corned beef... something just seems to be missing. OR maybe because I have ham more often than corned beef??? What ever the reason is... I love the meal.

I make a big pot of it... add tons of cabbage and potatoes. Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmm Mmmmmm!!!! I'm glad its this time of the year!!! As its the ONLY time I make this meal.
    I usually add so much cabbage and potatoes (and carrots and turnips) that I have to buy two corned beefs ;-) I've also bought extra corned beef and frozen it so that I could make it in October/November...it's great to have when the weather first starts turning colder.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I usually add so much cabbage and potatoes (and carrots and turnips) that I have to buy two corned beefs ;-) I've also bought extra corned beef and frozen it so that I could make it in October/November...it's great to have when the weather first starts turning colder.

MmmmHmmm! I agree on having it handy for when the weather starts turning colder. Its such a comfort food for me. But, as mentioned... usually only enjoy around St. Patty's day. I am going to have to change that habit.

I too add tons of cabbage and potatoes to mine. Funny, as much as I love the corned beef... I much prefer the veggies over the beef. I also have a side of spicy mustard for dipping. *my mouth is really watering now*

Tonight: pan-fried pork chops (in olive oil) with pan sauce (white wine, garlic, Dijon mustard, and butter) and sauteed cabbage with apples, onions, and bacon. And apple butter (that I made a couple of months ago).

I make mine in the crockpot usually. I do two rounds of veggies because I love the flavored, boiled veggies and they cook so much faster. So I'll put onions, carrots, cabbage, and potatoes in at the beginning, scoop them out half way through and add more.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I make mine in the crockpot usually. I do two rounds of veggies because I love the flavored, boiled veggies and they cook so much faster. So I'll put onions, carrots, cabbage, and potatoes in at the beginning, scoop them out half way through and add more.
    I tried it in a crockpot once, but I need the boiling/simmering to help get rid of the salt. I couldn't eat it (well, I could only eat a little bit) when I made it in the crockpot.

I also cut the corned beef in half (I find the biggest one I can), so that I have two pots going. (Of course, this also explains why I end up needing a second corned beef ;-) )

I think the second round of veggies must absorb a lot of the extra salt. I don't remember that being a problem.
    Count your blessings!

I like doing corned beef in the crock pot, but I don't like the cabbage and potatoes cooked that way. The potatoes seem to absorb too much of the briny taste of the beef and the cabbage just gets kind of dehydrated. I prefer to boil the cabbage and potatoes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread