+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 160 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree707Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Whats For Dinner TONIGHT?

I've made some chicken salad with green grapes, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. Going to serve it in cantaloupe rings. Refreshing and yummy. And it's still around 98 here in Phoenix, so the less HOT stuff we eat, the cooler we feel.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I've made some chicken salad with green grapes, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. Going to serve it in cantaloupe rings. Refreshing and yummy. And it's still around 98 here in Phoenix, so the less HOT stuff we eat, the cooler we feel.

Sure does sound refreshing and yummy... and I'll add healthy AND delicious!
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Save on foods is the only place I can find it now. Sobeys did carry it, but every time we went - they were out.I actually mailed some to a friend of mine in Halifax, because she couldn't find any.
    Excellent, thank you.

Gut, our Amazon does not carry as comprehensive a selection of goods as the dot-com US version. I was amazed when I read here on FORT that so many people purchase such a variety of items from Amazon.com. I assume it has something to do with customs and/or duty issues.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Excellent, thank you.

Gut, our Amazon does not carry as comprehensive a selection of goods as the dot-com US version. I was amazed when I read here on FORT that so many people purchase such a variety of items from Amazon.com. I assume it has something to do with customs and/or duty issues.
    I wish ours did.I think they would do well!
    Anyway I hope you find it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

It's Thursday, so it's broiled fish and salad. Though I'm having whitefish tonight rather than the usual salmon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think you all have a much bigger grocery budget than I do! Generally, I get whatever meat I can find super cheap (usually chicken breasts or pork loin) in the grocery store sale bin and then I eat it every day until it's gone. I pretty much never use recipes. I just throw together whatever I have. There are usually onions involved and then whatever veggie I have on hand. Then I combine that with the meat and some kind of grain. Extra points for making it in one pan!

I'm also a master of getting massive amounts of meals out of a rotisserie chicken. My record, if I don't make soup, is 8 meals.

I should mention that I HATE cooking for one, so I don't spend too much time or energy on it. I love the winter months when I can make something in the crock pot that I can eat for days! I tend to buy meat in larger quantities if I can find a good deal and then I freeze it in individual portions. I get a lot of mileage out of a big package of salmon and pretty much anything else.

My favorite thing on salmon, BTW, was Soy Vay Chinese marinade, but they stopped making it () so I usually end up with their Teriyaki instead. I like it in the George Foreman grill, but any marinade with sugars makes the grill a bear to clean. For salmon, I usually broil it after marinating for a few hours. Then I can line the broiler pan with foil and the clean up is super quick.

I bought a rub at World Market a while back called, I think Pacific Salmon Rub. Haven't tried it yet because it's just too darned hot to turn the broiler on. Maybe when it finally cools off. Right now, I don't even think of cooking dinner until at least 9 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I feed 3: me (who eats almost nothing), a 15yo boy, and my husband...and they can eat ;-) I only buy proteins on sale, thus this week's meals. (By combining 1/2 pound ribeye with the mussels and veggies, the meal came to about $7 for the three of us.)

During the winter, I make a lot of casseroles. We don't use jarred spaghetti sauce, so I use a combo of crushed and diced tomatoes and sauce. And my basil plants (which are the size of small bushes) result in a lot of pesto :-) (I used to can my own tomatoes until my back garden (30x3) decided it didn't actually want to produce any more. We haven't figured out why...this summer the plants started out looking great, but maybe they died because of all the rain.)

The boys don't really like leftovers...I'm the only one who really eats them. (It depends on what they are, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I feed 3: me (who eats almost nothing), a 15yo boy, and my husband...and they can eat ;-) I only buy proteins on sale, thus this week's meals. (By combining 1/2 pound ribeye with the mussels and veggies, the meal came to about $7 for the three of us.)

During the winter, I make a lot of casseroles. We don't use jarred spaghetti sauce, so I use a combo of crushed and diced tomatoes and sauce. And my basil plants (which are the size of small bushes) result in a lot of pesto :-) (I used to can my own tomatoes until my back garden (30x3) decided it didn't actually want to produce any more. We haven't figured out why...this summer the plants started out looking great, but maybe they died because of all the rain.)

The boys don't really like leftovers...I'm the only one who really eats them. (It depends on what they are, though.)
    We love leftovers - I think everything tastes better actually. I use my crock pot a lot in the fall and winter, for stew, or chili etc.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post

I would LOVE to do leftovers. But, never seem to have any. I'm telling you... my hubby is like a never ending disposal. He eats and eats and eats AND EATS. Sometimes I think he would eat the plate but he knows how much I like my set.

And about leftovers... I don't know how long food lasts. I get very nervous about certain foods spoiling. Especially fish. How long does fish last for?

AND also I often wonder how long food can be stored for in the freezer too. If any freezer burn is on my food... I throw it out.
    So that leaves me buying my meals daily. I try to buy just enough.

Thats why I love making soup!!!! I make a GIANT pot of soup and have it for a few days!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think you all have a much bigger grocery budget than I do! Generally, I get whatever meat I can find super cheap (usually chicken breasts or pork loin) in the grocery store sale bin and then I eat it every day until it's gone. I pretty much never use recipes. I just throw together whatever I have. There are usually onions involved and then whatever veggie I have on hand. Then I combine that with the meat and some kind of grain. Extra points for making it in one pan!

I'm also a master of getting massive amounts of meals out of a rotisserie chicken. My record, if I don't make soup, is 8 meals.

I should mention that I HATE cooking for one, so I don't spend too much time or energy on it. I love the winter months when I can make something in the crock pot that I can eat for days! I tend to buy meat in larger quantities if I can find a good deal and then I freeze it in individual portions. I get a lot of mileage out of a big package of salmon and pretty much anything else.

My favorite thing on salmon, BTW, was Soy Vay Chinese marinade, but they stopped making it () so I usually end up with their Teriyaki instead. I like it in the George Foreman grill, but any marinade with sugars makes the grill a bear to clean. For salmon, I usually broil it after marinating for a few hours. Then I can line the broiler pan with foil and the clean up is super quick.

I bought a rub at World Market a while back called, I think Pacific Salmon Rub. Haven't tried it yet because it's just too darned hot to turn the broiler on. Maybe when it finally cools off. Right now, I don't even think of cooking dinner until at least 9 PM.

WOW! You marinate salmon for a few hours? I didn't realize the fish would hold up that long.

I also agree with you... cleaning the grill IS a bear after the marinate is on it. I don't use my GF grill for that reason alone. Its bad enough I'm a messy cook. I don't know why. I DO try to clean along the way. But... when I'm done it looks like an explosion went off.

I love my crock pot... throw everything in there and let it work its magic! I especially enjoy my crockpot for making chocolate covered pretzels.

+ Reply to Thread