+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 159 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast
Like Tree706Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

I love sausage gravy on biscuits! I had never even heard of it until recently when I tried it at a restaurant. It is a rare treat far, far off my normal diet.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I love sausage gravy on biscuits! I had never even heard of it until recently when I tried it at a restaurant. It is a rare treat far, far off my normal diet.
    I bet :-) I don't make it very often, but my husband (who has been sick for almost a week) loves it. The biscuits came out great (nice and fluffy), and the sausage was excellent (if I do say so myself ;-) ). What would have been even better is if someone had noticed that the burner was still on...

I'm sick-e-poo.... *cough* *sneeze*

Homemade chicken soup and rye bread for me.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Mr. ING loves sausage gravy and biscuits. I cook it for breakfast every once in awhile. I don't eat very much of the sausage gravy. I always overindulge in the biscuits dripping with butter and honey.

The request for supper tonight was homemade Chicken and Dumplings, green beans, cranberry sauce and corn bread. Upon seeing the dumplings drying, the chicken cooking in a stock pot, and the kitchen in a mess, Mr. ING said "I didn't realize it took so long and what was involved in making chicken and dumplings... we should have just gone to Cracker Barrel.
    Then he quickly added..."But, they wouldn't have tasted as good." Nice save? Or did he notice I was washing the rolling pin?
    Ellen, TripleGemini and coltnlasma like this.

House Special Chicken with veggies from Pick-Up Stix. YUM!
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I bet :-) I don't make it very often, but my husband (who has been sick for almost a week) loves it. The biscuits came out great (nice and fluffy), and the sausage was excellent (if I do say so myself ;-) ). What would have been even better is if someone had noticed that the burner was still on...
    I never heard of it till you posted, TripleGemini. So I googled a recipe and made it tonight - sounded like something my husband would love. It is delicious! I don't bake - don't even own a rolling pin - so I used Bisquick (lazy ) and I used mild Italian sausage instead of breakfast sausage. I'm not very talented at sauces and gravies but this turned out perfect. Thanks for the idea! And I hope there was no actual fire.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Chili (which has been simmering since around 2pm) and cheddar cornbread.
    Hubby's working overtime today, so the chili is getting extra simmer time.
    It smells good, and I'm hungry! I hope he gets home soon. It's a rare "treat" that I get to do the cooking midweek. Usually I'm tutoring, and he gets home before I do. Most of my tutees, though, are still on winter break and visiting family in South Korea. They'll all be back next week!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I was planning on lentils with carrots and parsnips and a side of zucchini dusted with parmesan, but my daughter reminded me we had a dinner date planned with a friend of hers and her mom, so I had blackened salmon caesar salad instead. OMG they make it soooo good that's all I ever get when I eat there.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post

The request for supper tonight was homemade Chicken and Dumplings, green beans, cranberry sauce and corn bread. Upon seeing the dumplings drying, the chicken cooking in a stock pot, and the kitchen in a mess, Mr. ING said "I didn't realize it took so long and what was involved in making chicken and dumplings... we should have just gone to Cracker Barrel.
    Then he quickly added..."But, they wouldn't have tasted as good." Nice save? Or did he notice I was washing the rolling pin?

See, now I took your hubby's comment in a totally different way. I thought he was saying that he never realized how much time it took to prepare that particular meal and was so very happy you would spend the time to prepare it for him. He wanted to save you the the hassle and time and take you out instead. I am guessing you took it as a complaint that he was hungry and hurry up, will ya? But, either way, he redeemed himself with his compliment.
    I'm a decent, not great cook, but hands down, my husband prefers a home-cooked meal to a meal out, any day.
    inthegarden likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    I'm sick-e-poo.... *cough* *sneeze*

Homemade chicken soup and rye bread for me.
    Feel better, I'm here!

We had split pea soup and grilled cheese sandwiches; it hit the spot on this chilly day.
    I'm here likes this.

+ Reply to Thread