+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree922Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

We had fish tacos
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

So I was raiding the freezer yesterday to see what my possibilities were...and realized that at some point in the last couple of days, someone had left it open just enough for some food to start to thaw. (Oh, well, I needed to clean the freezer anyway ;-) ) I threw some stuff out, but I had a freezer bag of tomato sauce that was still mostly frozen.

And I had a pound of ground pork in the fridge and a couple of green peppers that had to be used. Oh, and several small summer squash.

So I put some olive oil in a pot, added an anchovy, and then added diced peppers. While that was sauteeing, I seasoned the ground pork to make sausage. (I typically like to let the sausage mixture sit for the flavors to meld, but in this case, it only got about 20 minutes.) I added the ground pork to the pot, and then grated the summer squash and added that. Finally, I added a jar of fresh tomato sauce that I made last week and let it simmer for a bit.

And then I added the bag of tomato sauce from the freezer and put it on the simmer burner for several hours.

I made a blueberry apple crumble for dessert, and I had just started prepping garlic bread when my son got home from work. It seems that when he was driving his moped out of the parking lot, some idiot pulling in wasn't paying attention and crossed into his lane. When he braked (hard), he ended up dumping the moped and sliding across the blacktop.

So...it was time for our annual ER visit. Kid has a broken bone in his right foot and several scrapes and abrasions that they cleaned up. He's wearing a boot and has to use crutches until it heals (about six weeks, which just doesn't seem logical...it's a tiny foot bone! How can all bones take six weeks to heal?)

Hubby got to eat while we were at the ER (he cooked the macaroni). Kid and I ate after we finally got home (about 8:30). At least the food was good :-)

And it's just about time for the farmers' market! Can't wait to see what I get today :-) (I should be getting about 10 pounds of Roma tomatoes so that I can make paste. Yum :-))

Wow TG, your cooking is way more involved than mine! I love the crock pot because it means I don't have to think about cooking again for at least a few days.

The chicken and beans experiment turned out pretty well. The rice that I cooked to go with it was not so great. STALE. Had to throw the rest of it out. I've been on a Jasmine rice kick, so the brown rice was far too old. Luckily, I didn't add it to the crock pot, so it didn't ruin anything. I had some corn tortillas, so I used those instead of the rice. The chicken itself was particularly good. I hope I can remember what I did!
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Roast Lamb, green beans and roasted potatoes...
    beerbelly and TripleGemini like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Ribeye's, baked potatoes, corn that I had cut off the cob and froze and fried okra with homemade rolls and strawberry cake.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Fanny Mare, my son and I *love* lamb. My husband? Not so much. So we pretty much only eat it once a year.

Nennie, I would kill for a ribeye! But I'm out of work right now, so the budget doesn't extend to red meat. (That's my favorite cut.)

And no Romas at the market today, although I did get beets and about five pounds of purple fingerling potatoes. And tomatoes and zucchini and eggs and a bunch of other stuff.

Dinner tonight was leftovers :-) By the time I got done with the market and then taking my son to his work to file an incident report, I was wiped out.

Tonight's dinner will be ballpark food. Thanks to hubby's employer's unused season tix in the la-dee-dah section for tonight, we'll be at the Brewers @ Padres game eating overpriced hotdogs and drinking overpriced beer. (…or something like that…)
    Cootie and TripleGemini like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Tonight's dinner will be ballpark food. Thanks to hubby's employer's unused season tix in the la-dee-dah section for tonight, we'll be at the Brewers @ Padres game eating overpriced hotdogs and drinking overpriced beer. (…or something like that…)
    We were at an NFL game and Mr. ITG bought a beer and me a coke. As he handed me the coke he said...I left the rest of the 12 packs at the stand . Gosh! Food is so expensive at the games.
    Have Fun!!

We are have Spaghetti with Meat Sauce.
    The sauce is made from the San Marzano tomatoes that I grew this year in the garden.
    I cooked and froze a batch of tomato sauce last week.
    TripleGemini likes this.

Tonight we're having oven-fried chicken (in olive oil, if that makes it any healthier..) with a vegetable or salad.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Eldest son is coming home tonight so I am making his favorite: a la vodka sauce. Instead of the usual penne pasta, I think I will be serving it over cavatelli. Salad, Italian bread.

+ Reply to Thread