+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree874Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Cootie, it gets that hot in the Pacific Northwest? Yikes.

We've been having a super mild summer here on Long Island, NY. Not even a single over-90 degree day. Actually, it's kind of freaky, come to think of it.

Grilled salmon tonight.
    It's been in the high 90's and close to 100 for over a month! We had a thunderstorm today and it is now 72 degrees. I have a jacket on! I am making a close relative to chicken fajitas tonight featuring peppers and onions from my garden. It is nice to have some cool weather. Yesterday put me over the top!

Salmon sounds fantastic. I have a goal to eat fish at least once a week.

I made chicken enchiladas with a green sauce. So good!!!
    beerbelly likes this.

Tonight was another grilled cheese with caramelized onions and apples on Cuban bread. We had a busy day...it's tax-free weekend in Mass and our washing machine died this week, so we went to Home Depot. They price-matched the same washing machine at Lowe's (so it went from $799 to $719) and then they gave us another $75 off (some sort of in-store discount), which brought it to $644. And National Grid (our electric company) is giving $75 rebates on energy efficient washing machines, so we'll get that check in the mail in another couple of weeks. No tax and free delivery and take-away of the old machine...we did good :-)

Then it was off to BJs...the Revere store has a gas station and they're offering a 10 cents a gallon discount if you buy something at the store first. And their prices are already lower than any around, so we filled the car for $3.22 a gallon.

And then we came home so that I could nap ;-) When I woke up, I took the new dog (I can't remember if I said, but I was given a retired two-year-old service dog last week) to the pet store because we're trying out different foods to find one she likes that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. She had a great time :-)

So, of course, by the time we got back, I had to come up with ideas for dinner quickly. :-) Thus, a sandwich.

Meanwhile, my husband happened to check the zucchini plants this week and brought in three HUGE squash. So I shredded one and made zucchini fritters to go with the sandwiches. They were good, too, although it is definitely a pain shredding a squash that big. (And an almost 4-pound squash resulted in 1.5 pounds of shredded zucchini.)

Now I have to think about what to do for tomorrow...
    inthegarden likes this.

Sounds like a fun day. I'm avoiding the stores this weekend. Was it horrible?
    I cleaned out the fridge yesterday. Steamed kale and beet greens and made a big salad with bits of this and that to finish things up. Roasted Cornish hens I had defrosted and while the oven was on, roasted garlic and corn on the cob (which is so much easier than boiling! And tastes so much better!). Cut up and cooked the second half of a monster zucchini from the garden. Cut up a quarter watermelon into chunks. I ate a little of everything as I went, but mostly processed it so that I can reach in the fridge and pull out something healthy whenever I'm hungry over the next few days.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Sounds like a fun day. I'm avoiding the stores this weekend. Was it horrible?
    I cleaned out the fridge yesterday. Steamed kale and beet greens and made a big salad with bits of this and that to finish things up. Roasted Cornish hens I had defrosted and while the oven was on, roasted garlic and corn on the cob (which is so much easier than boiling! And tastes so much better!). Cut up and cooked the second half of a monster zucchini from the garden. Cut up a quarter watermelon into chunks. I ate a little of everything as I went, but mostly processed it so that I can reach in the fridge and pull out something healthy whenever I'm hungry over the next few days.
    The stores were almost empty. It was very weird (considering previous years when we've taken advantage and the stores looked like Black Friday).

Given that I'm leaving for the farmers' market shortly, I had an "eat all the leftovers!" breakfast :-) Beets (which had been baked) and this potato/cabbage/onion thing that I've been making (kinda like home fries with cabbage...it's one way for my guys to get more veggies). And bacon, because it's really not breakfast without some bacon ;-)

Oh! And I made blueberry muffins...I got a quart of wild Maine blueberries last weekend and used half for a blueberry cobbler, but I needed to use the other half. So...muffins :-)
    Last edited by TripleGemini; 08-17-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    The stores were almost empty. It was very weird (considering previous years when we've taken advantage and the stores looked like Black Friday).

Given that I'm leaving for the farmers' market shortly, I had an "eat all the leftovers!" breakfast :-) Beets (which had been baked) and this potato/cabbage/onion thing that I've been making (kinda like home fries with cabbage...it's one way for my guys to get more veggies). And bacon, because it's really not breakfast without some bacon ;-)

Oh! And I made blueberry muffins...I got a quart of wild Maine blueberries last weekend and used half for a blueberry cobbler, but I needed to use the other half. So...muffins :-)

When I was out today I got everything to make my own Gorp... raw cashews, almonds, and walnuts, quality chocolate to chop into chunks, dried cherries. I find out tomorrow if I have jury duty which I've never actually done and have no idea what the eating situation is if I'm called.
    Count your blessings!

I'm making chicken breasts with asparagus, lemon, goat cheese, scallions and garlic. I just throw everything into a Pyrex and hope for the best. I'm going it tastes as good as it smells.
    TripleGemini and inthegarden like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I don't know how that could not taste good!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Cod fish sandwiches here tonight and broccoli cheese
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I made soup out of a couple of Cornish hen carcasses with garlic, onions, celery, bay leaves, and butter beans. Yum!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread