+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

FORT Newbie

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Steak and Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Are you talking about Revere? Scary. We had bad storms, too. I had to get on the floor and hold the kittens on my lap because their mom was hiding and they were scared.
    On topic - I just cooked down some onions and mushrooms with a little butter and cream and had it over pasta. A little indulgent, but YUM!
    Yep, Revere got slammed yesterday. The tornado damaged 65 homes (13 are inhabitable), but only a few people got hurt (none serious) and no one died. My young cat (she'll be two in September) came in to my office and lay across my arms while I was typing. She did not like that storm AT ALL.

Dinner tonight was leftovers ;-) (Although I always end up wanting something to eat an hour after I take my evening pills, so I made a grilled cheese sandwich.)
    Gutmutter likes this.

I had a late dinner tonight. After another room remodel day, I started dinner at about 8:30 and we ate at about 9:15! We had grilled local Angus beef patties with caramelized onions, topped with avocado slices and garden tomatoes. So good! We had a great onion harvest this year so I will be adding them into many meals in the near future!

Wow, I'm a bit behind :-) I made sausage and onion calzones on Saturday. One recipe of pizza dough got me three HUGE calzones. (I ate 1/3 of one, my husband ate the other 2/3, and then my son ate 1 1/3. And then the kid ate the other 2/3 the next day.)

Yesterday I got both zucchini and eggplant at the farmer's market, and I had ricotta and mozzarella left over from the calzones (plus the tomato sauce I made to go with the calzones), so I sliced the veggies into 1/4" strips and basically made lasagna. I didn't do anything to the veggies, which could be considered a mistake ;-) The lasagna was a bit watery...so I cut everything up into roughly 1" squares and called it "lasagna soup" :-)

Tonight was grilled cheese...provolone on one side, muenster on the other, and caramelized apples and onions in the middle. This is my new guilty pleasure :-)
    Cootie and inthegarden like this.

I slept the day away after a long week, and ordered a big bag of tacos delivered. I'll munch on them overnight while watching the BB feeds.
    Cootie likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Aaaaand, now I'm craving tacos!

You're so lucky to live in a city where you can probably get ANYTHING delivered. Here, it's pretty much pizza and groceries....and produce, if you subscribe to a service.
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I do live in that kind of city, but I'm not in the best neighborhood so my choices are more limited than someone in the fancier parts of town.
    Critical likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I don't know. when I was staying in a hotel on the Upper East Side, we had a hard time even finding a restaurant that was OPEN, much less one that would deliver late (maybe 10:30-11:00) on a Sunday night. The concierge told us, "You're in the suburbs, girls."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He was right the Upper East Side is the quietest, most traditional and least crazy part of Manhattan. It's where the doctors, lawyers and business types have their luxury apts. The Upper West Side is another story -- there you could get anything you want, anytime you want.

But in the bigger picture, a lot of family restaurants and local establishments are closing right and left, because landlords are jacking up the rent to force them out. Then they can rent the space for twice the money to a fancy national chain store. It gets more depressing the longer one lives here...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I still hadn't finished all the veggies from last week's haul from the farmers' market, so yesterday I made sauteed (fried?) potatoes, cabbage, and onions with crumbled bacon. Good thing I used up those potatoes...I came home with even more today ;-)

Looks like tonight will be a mostly vegetarian night because I have beets (currently roasting in the oven), green tomatoes (fried green tomatoes...yum), potatoes, and cukes. I just have to get some protein in there. (And the only thing that's thawed is what's left of the sausage I made this week.)

It's going to be like a mini-potluck :-)
    Cootie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread