+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree770Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Sounds yummy, angelic_one. Do you layer the peppers with the other ingredients, or if you cut the peppers up do you chop them fairly large or fine? I LOVE stuffed peppers, just can't ever be bothered with the process.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

No, I mix the ingredients all together, and bake. The flavors all blend together and tastes so much better that way!
    spockwhat likes this.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Tonight was macaroni and cheese, and this batch came out really good. I used lots of extra sharp cheddar, a little bit of blue, and I put a layer of fresh mozzarella in the center. Then I topped it with more cheddar and panko.

I had two servings! (Which probably doesn't mean much unless you know that I normally barely finish a child's portion of anything. My husband and son love it when we go out to eat because they get to split what I don't eat.)
    beerbelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Tonight was macaroni and cheese, and this batch came out really good. I used lots of extra sharp cheddar, a little bit of blue, and I put a layer of fresh mozzarella in the center. Then I topped it with more cheddar and panko.

I had two servings! (Which probably doesn't mean much unless you know that I normally barely finish a child's portion of anything. My husband and son love it when we go out to eat because they get to split what I don't eat.)
    Do you have the recipe for that. I love blue cheese, and I have never used Panko YUM!

TIA
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Tonight is "clean up all the perishable food in the refrigerator" night as we prepare to leave town tomorrow. Probably strawberry yogurt with fresh bananas, blueberries and raspberries. We'll toss on some chopped walnuts for extra protein.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'm going out, buffet style. Better loosen the belt a notch.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

I'm planning to make quesadillas for dinner. I'm coming up with mental lists of what I want with/in them. Cheese, some leftover chicken chopped up with a squeeze of lime, onions, peppers, corn, maybe some butternut squash with refried beans and sour cream on the side. It's going to be yummy.

I'm doing my 'everything in a Pyrex' dish: Chickpeas, Kimchi, shallots, mint, vegetable broth and chicken breasts. Let's see what happens...
    Ellen and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Do you have the recipe for that. I love blue cheese, and I have never used Panko YUM!

TIA
    Fanny Mare, I wasn't ignoring you, promise! I ran an accessibility conference in Boston last Saturday, which put me behind for lots of things (including FORT).

I've made mac and cheese several ways over the years, but my latest method uses a Mornay sauce. So I started with 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, and I saute a diced onion in it. When the onion is almost soft, I add about a tablespoon of ground mustard, a teaspoon of turmeric, a couple of grates of nutmeg (probably 1/8 teaspoon?), and a couple grinds of pepper. Then I add a couple of tablespoons of flour (turn the temp way down) and let the flour cook. Then I add 3 cups of milk, turn up the heat to medium, and stir occasionally (you don't want the bottom to burn, so I'm usually stirring every couple of minutes).

In another large pot, I bring water to a boil, add a teaspoon of salt (much less than what most pros recommend, but the cheese is salty), and then pour in a box of elbow macaroni. Cook it for 7 minutes (you want it al dente because you're going to put it in the oven and it's going to cook a little more).

At some point (maybe while I'm waiting for the water to boil, maybe before I start, maybe in between stirring the sauce), I grated about 3/4 of a block of extra sharp cheese. (Cabot now makes a Vintage Choice Extra Sharp Cheddar that is just divine.) I also get about two tablespoons of blue cheese crumbled. (I buy it in a block, not the crumbles, because I think it tastes better.) (Note: blue cheese is usually really strong, so if you add too much, it will throw off the balance. If you think you want to add more, wait until after the next step.)

By now the sauce should be thicker (but it won't be really thick because I used an extra cup of milk). Start adding the grated cheese, about a handful at a time, and stir until melted. Continue. I add the blue cheese after all the cheddar has been incorporated. Taste...it should mostly taste like cheddar with a bit of bite from the blue cheese coming through. (Here is where you can add more blue cheese if you want, but take it slow.) Note: If you have it, add about a teaspoon of truffle oil at this point and stir it in. It just gives the dish a little more depth.

And by now the macaroni should be done, so drain it (but don't rinse). Pour it back into the pan that you cooked it in, and then add the sauce. (You probably won't have to add all the sauce, so pour in about half, stir, decide if it needs more, etc. I usually use about 3/4 of all of the sauce at this point.)

Get a baking casserole dish and use butter or non-stick spray to coat it. Use a ladle to add the mac and cheese mixture to the dish (about two inches deep?). For this batch, I had fresh mozzarella waiting to be used, so I sliced it and layered it over the top. Use the ladle to add more mac and cheese, leaving about a half-inch at the top.

Shred more cheddar and sprinkle it over the top. Then grab a handful of Panko and sprinkle it over the cheese. (You don't want there to be a lot of Panko, just enough to provide some crunch.)

Pop into a 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes. This gives the rest of the cheeses time to melt and for the top crust to melt and brown slightly. It should be really bubbly all the way down when it's done.

I usually have too much for the big casserole dish, so I put the rest in a container (it microwaves nicely ;-) ). If I have sauce leftover, I'll add some to the big casserole after everyone's eaten (the mac dries out a bit, so this helps keep it moist) and add the rest of the sauce to the rest of the mac.

Let me know if I forgot anything or if you have questions :-)
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Oh my goodness! That sounds divine! I love the addition of blue cheese and truffle oil. I love truffle oil with pasta.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread