+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree912Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

I ended up with a jar of pineapple chutney from (of all places) Swaziland. It's in the slow cooker right now with cubed sweet potatoes and chicken breasts, along with various spices (curry, paprika, ginger) and a chopped onion. It smells great. We'll see how it tastes in an hour or two!

ETA: WOW, the Swazis like it spicy! That chutney has quite a kick. I'm glad I didn't add any cayenne, which was one of the ingredients in the recipe I modified.
    Eswatini Kitchen
    The company who makes the chutney also makes something called Swazi Fire. I'm staying FAR away from that!

The dish turned out really nicely, but a little spicier than I expected.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-21-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You can have it. I've learned recently that it's genetically determined how spicy you can tolerate your food and my ancestors liked it mild.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    You can have it. I've learned recently that it's genetically determined how spicy you can tolerate your food and my ancestors liked it mild.
    I don't think I buy that. My brother could eat habaneros and even hotter chilies and no one else in the immediate family can even tolerate a Jalapeno. I can eat mildly spicy food, but it's probably not very hot in the spicy scale. At Thai restaurants, I usually order it mild or on the mild side of medium and it's sometimes too hot. My poor mother gets short of breath is there's too much black pepper in her food. My uncle (my mom's brother) and my cousin can also eat super spicy food.

So yeah, I think the jury's still out on that genetic connection. It sure isn't that way in my family.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well, everyone in my family has red hair but me...
    I guess genetics are more complicated than we know.
    Count your blessings!

I am taking hubby out for his birthday, he wants some good Indian food
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Good for you, FM! I hope your husband enjoyed it. I usually pick Indian food for my bday dinner too. Last time, my father said it violated the Geneva Convention but it was music to my taste buds. I don't buy the genetic theory on spice; my sister & I are 3/4 eastern European and 1/4 Brit Isles (debate as to where exactly). Nonetheless, we can both enjoy Scoville units higher than anticipated from those raised in spicy food. (Ketchup is a spice in my family history.) What bums my tum out is dairy. Bring on the habanero peppers and hot curry!
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Good for you, FM! I hope your husband enjoyed it. I usually pick Indian food for my bday dinner too. Last time, my father said it violated the Geneva Convention but it was music to my taste buds. I don't buy the genetic theory on spice; my sister & I are 3/4 eastern European and 1/4 Brit Isles (debate as to where exactly). Nonetheless, we can both enjoy Scoville units higher than anticipated from those raised in spicy food. (Ketchup is a spice in my family history.) What bums my tum out is dairy. Bring on the habanero peppers and hot curry!
    We had the buffet, it was scrumptious, this way he got to taste all the dishes. Some were too hot for me, so out came the cooling yoghurt
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

My daughters are home for the weekend. My chef daughter made this soup last night: she boiled a chicken with whole onions, and large amounts of ginger she had halved, charred, and smashed with a mallet. Then strained and cooked rice in the broth while the chicken cooled, picked apart the chicken and added it back into the soup, then served with fresh cilantro and scallions (chopped) and topped with crispy fried shallots. OMG!!!! Pilot daughter made margaritas with muddled jalapeņos and something else - not sure because I made my own without anything hot in it.
    Ellen and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

I'm cooking Corned Beef & Cabbage tonight, with onions & carrots, & maybe some broccoli on the side. I do like my veggies. I found out that the price of cabbage skyrockets the weekend after St Patrick's Day. I was hoping to pick it up dirt cheap, but nope. But when you want it you buy it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

BBQ steaks with home fries and salad
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread