+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree707Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I vote for mashed potatoes!
    I made both!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

There are quite a few diabetics in my family. Both type 1 and type 2. We have never changed the menu for the main course. The diabetics know that they must limit the carbs and fill up on the bird. It's never been a problem For desert there are some local bakery's that make very good sugar free pies.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I am excited . I FINALLY made a pot of Chili.

I'll also be cooking some ditalini in case I want some chili mac.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Leftovers.....spaghetti and chili. The kids like spaghetti and hubs likes chili.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

We had spaghetti and meatballs last night, nennie. Tonight I cooked lemon pepper salmon.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Immunosuppressed hubby started coming down with a cold, so I made chicken soup. (He swears by it...)

His employer doesn't do any sort of sick pay. We're still trying to recover from his cancer surgery in January. And for the upcoming holidays, his employer closes the shop for several days surrounding the holidays (so, no opportunity to work & earn) but will only give holiday pay for those days *if* one takes zero days off during November and December. SOL if you're legitimately sick. So one day missed for being sick means SIX DAYS WITH NO PAY.
    This is all legal. (USA! USA!!)

I sure as heck hope that my stupid chicken soup works...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Oh, Ellen :-( That's really lousy. I hope he feels better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Oh, Ellen :-( That's really lousy. I hope he feels better soon!
    Knock on wood, he's doing better. Combination of Zycam, saltwater up the nose, and my magic (as he calls it) chicken soup.
    Fingers tightly crossed...
    TripleGemini and inthegarden like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

BTW, I have still been cooking/baking/preserving, but life is a bit different. My husband's job now has him leaving Monday morning and not getting home until Saturday morning, so I really only make big meals on the weekend. During the week, my son and I have things like cheese quesadillas, sandwiches, etc. Although I did make a most excellent pot of American Chop Suey yesterday (and I got to use up the last of my peppers, eggplants, and mushrooms, so "yay" for bonus veggies!).

For the last several weeks before my CSA ended, I stocked up on pumpkins and butternut squash. I now have another four two-cup freezer bags of pureed pumpkin, and I've got four butternut squash that I have to do something with. (I'm hoping I can find a way to freeze cubes, but if I can't, I'll be making squash puree all day.)

Oh, and I have another cup of pumpkin puree in the fridge...the plan is to make scones :-)

I've never tried it, but have read that winter squash will keep for several months in a cool, dry place (like a basement) -- just in case you don't have the time or inclination to process them right away. That would be neat to have a little winter stash of butternut squash. I'm jealous!

Tonight is one of the few nights my family should all be home for a non-rushed dinner. We are having it simple: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. And I'm trying out a new caramel-apple pie recipe for dessert.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread