+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree922Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

No offense intended here ... but I was offered authentic kimchi years ago ... and could barely get past the odor. It is after all "aged" cabbage. I tasted a tiny touch and it was like eating fire.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Some of the funky smell could be the dried shrimp used in some of the traditional kimchi recipes.
    In my experience, every family has its own kimchi recipe and, of course, each claims "the best"!
    I'm sure that mine will be a combination of several.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Some of the funky smell could be the dried shrimp used in some of the traditional kimchi recipes.
    In my experience, every family has its own kimchi recipe — and, of course, each claims "the best"!
    I'm sure that mine will be a combination of several.
    Thanks I'll look for it at TJ.

Pinto Beans, Turnip greens and Mexican cornbread.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Thanks I'll look for it at TJ.

Pinto Beans, Turnip greens and Mexican cornbread.
    TJ kimchi is a good introduction. And if that's too picante, TJ's also has frozen kimchi fried rice even more toned-down, but enough of a kick to keep it out of boringsville. It's great topped with an over-easy egg or sauteed shrimp. I like to add a bit of heat with several drops of sriracha.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    That Curried Squash and lentil soup looks awesome! I will definitely try that soon. I don't cook with Curry much though. Is this dish very hot?
    As it is in the link, not at all. I seriously jacked up the spices when I made it. I used an entire (smaller) head of garlic and the following spices where the recipe adds 1 Tbl of curry powder:
    2 Tbl curry powder, 1/2 tsp corriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp ground red chili, 1/2 tsp pepper

With these spices I could tell that the spices were there, but it was still not what I would call "spicy". Disclaimer: I don't like food to be so spicy that I can't taste the food, but I do enjoy a good amount of spice!! The curry powder I used I picked up at Trader Joe's. I barely have any experience cooking with curry powder, but I liked the flavor of this one.

You all have iron mouths, and special esophageal and stomach linings!
    I couldn't eat any of those spices. I have tried frequently ... and my taste-buds stop working, and heartburn ensues as well as some other "digestive/stomach" things. I even go easy on garlic, chili powder, etc.

I do envy all of you ... so I'll just be the boring eater ... reading and enjoying it vicariously.

Last evening I had ravioli ... but made the sauce with round steak cut for pepper steak ... a touch of garlic, lots of fennel seed ( which gives the illusion that there is sausage in it) and Italian spices.

Tonight ... I'm going to finish up some home-made cabbage soup (with carrots, potatoes and diced tomatoes) and some oatbran bread.. so good.

I am going to make some pumpkin bread with nuts ... and I am going to try putting some of those raspberries ... and maybe some apples in one loaf just as a trial run.

Mohandas Gandhi

Hamburgers at my house.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

BBQ steak with mushrooms.
    nennie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I got home after a 12 hour work day and ended up with a simple meal - an artichoke that was just delicious!

Up-thread I posted

"I am going to make some pumpkin bread with nuts ... and I am going to try putting some of those raspberries ... and maybe some apples in one loaf just as a trial run."

I skipped the apples, but the fresh raspberries made the loaf fall apart in places, I had to bake it 10-15 minutes longer than the one without, and it was difficult to slice..
    I did dust them before putting them in ... so I guess it was just too much moisture? It tastes good though

I have put all kinds of things in sweet/dessert breads ... and dried fruit seems to work best.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread