+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree707Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I ended up grocery shopping early one morning last week, so I got a ham butt (7 pounds for $6!) and two rib-eyes (total of $10) because they had slapped "manager special" stickers on them.

So I made the ham first (covered with foil with about a cup of water in a 300F oven for about 4 or 5 hours), and it was so moist and tender :-) We had it the first night with baked acorn squash (cut the squash in half, fill the cavity with some olive oil, peeled garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and a little sage, then mash with a little butter). Second night was ham and cabbage (with Asian influences...sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, mirin), lightly sauteed.

Everyone's work schedule has been wonky, so the ham has been there for sandwiches.

Last night, I made cauliflower puree and rib-eyes (and I also had sauteed spinach in olive oil and garlic). I found a John Besh recipe for the cauliflower and wow, it was good. The three of us ate the entire thing.

Now I need to go pull something from the freezer for tonight...I think I'll wait until I get my CSA so I know what veggies I have.
    OMG. Those dishes sound Wonderful!

Nennie, what are brown beans?

INthegarden, purple hull peas are my favorite!!!!!!!! They are difficult to find in my area too.

Debb brown beans are pinto beans we just call them that here in Oklahoma. Brown beans, white bean, red beans etc etc etc.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Today is farmers' market day --
    We're making a dish from Cooking Light, but tweaked a bit to cut out some of the processed stuff that the magazine tends to favor.
    Here's the link:
    Butternut Squash au Gratin with Wild Mushrooms and Crispy Bacon Recipe | MyRecipes.com
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I ended up grocery shopping early one morning last week, so I got a ham butt (7 pounds for $6!) and two rib-eyes (total of $10) because they had slapped "manager special" stickers on them.

So I made the ham first (covered with foil with about a cup of water in a 300F oven for about 4 or 5 hours), and it was so moist and tender :-) We had it the first night with baked acorn squash (cut the squash in half, fill the cavity with some olive oil, peeled garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and a little sage, then mash with a little butter). Second night was ham and cabbage (with Asian influences...sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, mirin), lightly sauteed.

Everyone's work schedule has been wonky, so the ham has been there for sandwiches.

Last night, I made cauliflower puree and rib-eyes (and I also had sauteed spinach in olive oil and garlic). I found a John Besh recipe for the cauliflower and wow, it was good. The three of us ate the entire thing.

Now I need to go pull something from the freezer for tonight...I think I'll wait until I get my CSA so I know what veggies I have.
    One of my local supermarkets will take 30% off meat that has the next day's date at 5 or 6 pm.
    If it is the same day expire ... they put a 50% off sticker on it.
    They usually put it in a "clearance" section ... but I search around because sometimes they miss some and the butcher will automatically make it 50% off!

I hunt for the rib eyes and strip steaks!

ETA: Oh ... dinner tonight is cabbage rolls made by a friend ... and last time they were just so-so. with a Caprese salad.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    OMG. Those dishes sound Wonderful!

Nennie, what are brown beans?

INthegarden, purple hull peas are my favorite!!!!!!!! They are difficult to find in my area too.
    I love them too.
    I planted two rows of them this year....twice... due to all the rain. We had the worse gardening year but I finally got the peas to grow.

Salmon in parchment bags, with a lovey soy and wasabi sauce. - over brown basmati rice
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Stuffed peppers (got peppers in the CSA, flavored it with Berbere ("burr-bare"), used brown Basmati rice and mozzarella cheese).

(Also in the CSA this week: tomatoes, eggplant, pickling cukes, eggs, two kinds of radishes, salad turnips, beets, Boston lettuce, and green beans. Passed on the bok choy, zucchini, summer squash, and kohlrabi this time...hubby's going to Rhode Island for the week for work, so my son and I will have eggplant parm, shrimp and garlicky green beans, and spaghetti aglio y olio. And probably quesadillas. I'll eat the beets for lunch.)
    inthegarden likes this.

Chilli. I'm Celebrating the first day of Autumn.

I smoked a pork butt yesterday and made pulled pork out of it so I had that for lunch. It was really good.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Slow-cooker red-curry spaghetti squash with grilled beer-garlic shrimp.
    I have the best husband.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread