+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 159 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1589
Like Tree706Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Re: What's For Dinner TONIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    TripleGemini, can you enlighten me as to what CSA means? You've mentioned it in several posts. Is it a type of farmer's market?

Last night's dinner for the menfolk was farfalle (bowtie) pasta in an alfredo sauce tossed with broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and snow peas ( the kind of frozen veggies you get in a steamable bag). It looked good. Tonight, on a lighter note, hubby and I will be eating baked tilapia and a garden salad. I'm down 49 pounds as of today.

Congratulations on the weight loss.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Well done ECM!! well done
    We are going to BBQ some salmon tonight, corn on the cob and arugula and kale salad
    Cootie and Eastcoastmom like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I think this will answer your question...
    source: Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

Community Supported Agriculture
    For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.

Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.
    Thanks, Closet, for the info. I'm a suburbanite, living less than an hour's drive from NYC. 50 years ago this area was all potato fields but not anymore; suburban sprawl has taken over what with the beginnings of Levitt homes for returning WW2 servicemen back in the late 50s. Anyhow, I am thinking there are probably some CSAs a bit further to my east, over in the next county, which has a bit more rural feel to it and the North Fork is home to some great wineries.

Just hamburgers ... either baked or mashed potatoes a veggie ... probably Broccoli which is my favorite.

We may skip the bun with the hamburger ... and if any bread at all, I bought some 5-grain Italian at the bakery.

Incidentally ... I do not have a grill ... I know you all may think that is stone age. But my neighbor has a big fancy one and has left a standing offer to grill for us any time.

BUT ... I prefer to "pan-broil" almost everything ... including steaks. My Dad always did it that way ... and I can cook a well done steak that way without toughening it.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Our local Sonic Drive In had back to school half price burgers and that is what we had.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

EastCoastMom, I see that ClosetRTWatcher already answered your question :-)

My CSA is from Grant Family Farms in Ipswich, MA. The owner is in his late 20s, and he's just incredible. (I found out today that we'll be getting rainbow chard and edamame soon!) He tends to give me extras, so I take him gifts every week...a jar of dill pickles one week, bread and butter pickles another, and carrot-zucchini cake last week. (We get so much food, even with a half-share, that it's all I can do to finish it in a week.)

Speaking of which: tonight was eggplant/zucchini/chicken parmesan. My husband had two servings, and my son had three (he had just gotten done working out). I think I might try the calzone suggestion with the leftover pizza dough tomorrow, using the leftover parmesan as the filling. (And I still have to use beets, more chard, and carrots.)
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm going to Carrabba's with friends tonight. I plan to get the Filet Fiorentina and bring home Chocolate Dream for dessert. The dessert has so many calories, I can only have 1/4 of it tonight. I'll enjoy the rest of it over the weekend.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Homemade chicken soup with butter beans, veggies, fresh herbs, multigrain crackers crumbled on top. Mmmmm.
    Count your blessings!

Leftovers :-)

Costco Chicken skewers with cherry habanero sauce... kindof snacking as Mr. C is off surfing...

+ Reply to Thread