+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Celebrating lesser-known holidays

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Celebrating lesser-known holidays

Pretty much every day of the year is some kind of holiday somewhere. In-between the big holidays, like Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Halloween, are quirky holidays like National Taco Day, Best Friends Day, National Hug Your Cat Day, etc. Do you like to celebrate lesser-known holidays? Are there particular ones during the year you look forward to?

I just found out that today (July 30) is National Cheesecake Day. If I had known that in advance, I might have worked out a celebration with the ladies at work. I made peanut butter cookies for National Peanut Butter Cookie Day this year (June 12) and another lady brought ice cream for National Ice Cream Month. We celebrate National Ice Cream Month every year at my office because everyone here loves ice cream and it's pretty cheap to get a few gallons of ice cream and some cones. We also take advantage of National Donut Day every year to get a free donut from Krispy Kreme.

I try to keep an eye out of MSN.com for unusual holidays. Sometimes I don't find out about them until the day of the event.

I think there should be a National Bacon Cheeseburger Day. There's a National Cheeseburger Day and a National Bacon Day but they don't fall on the same day to allow you to honor them both together. That's a shame.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Celebrating lesser-known holidays

My favorite quirky holiday is Pi Day, March 14th. Named for Pi (3.14159), the mathematical constant. On Pi Day you eat, bake, and share pie with your fellow geeks. But there are lots of ways to celebrate this day. The first official observation of it was in 1988. On March 12, 2009, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a non-binding resolution (HRES 224), recognizing March 14, 2009, as National Pi Day.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 07-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Ellen likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Oh, that's cute and clever! I'm a pie-lover myself so I'll have to keep that holiday in mind for the future. It would be awesome to have a pie party with my friends. Everyone could bring a different type of pie, and not just dessert pies. Chicken pot pie or tamale pie would be good, too.

Edited to add: I just looked it up for more information and there's both a National Pi Day (March 14), and National Pie Day (January 23). I guess people really love pie to give it two national holidays!

Did you know that the crust of the pie started off as just a container to hold the filling? People in the 12th century ate the contents of the pie but not the crust. The crust was called a coffyn or coffin. It's kind of odd to me to think of calling a pie crust the same thing you call a vessel to bury bodies in.

Source: National Pie Day
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-30-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I have no idea why they would not eat the crust! They used trenchers (a small loaf of bread with the middle dug out) for plates, but they ate the "plates."

I'm a crust enthusiast. I cannot make one as light and flaky as my mother's, but I do love to try. My favorite pies are the savory ones: chicken pot pie, beef and leek with scallions, and seafood etoufee pies. Sometimes my family just wants the filling of pot pies, but I still make the crust and they break it into their bowls.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

The crust is my favorite part of the pie, and like you I adore savory pies. I'd love it if there was a cooking show that focused on pies.

I used to try making my own pie crusts but finally I decided it's just easier and tastier to buy ready-made crusts. The only pie crust I ever got good at making was a cookie crust or graham cracker crust. They're hard to mess-up so they come out good every time. For small desserts, I like to get the mini-fillo shells.

As a linguist and language teacher/tutor/coach, my favorite weirdo holiday is National Grammar Day on March 4th.
    Spoken, "March fourth" sounds the same as "march forth!": so it's a date AND an imperative!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

They ought to give citations to people who use incorrect grammar on National Grammar Day.

"You meant "they're", meaning "they are", not "there", as in here or there. That will be $40, or you can elect to take a course in defensive grammar".
    Ellen and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

They should also fine anyone who makes commercials that use "less" when they mean "fewer". I yell at my tv every day over that.
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    They should also fine anyone who makes commercials that use "less" when they mean "fewer". I yell at my tv every day over that.
    I CANNOT like this enough :-) You would think that these companies could find ad agencies that know the difference.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I yell [internally] at the supermarket, too.
    "Ten items or FEWER, dammit!!!"
    Trader Joe's gets it. Really, it's not rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I CANNOT like this enough :-) You would think that these companies could find ad agencies that know the difference.
    I have a relative who owns a small marketing agency. This person's punctuation skills are atrocious. The staff, from what I've seen? Hit-or-miss. This relative has finally approached me regarding my rates for copyediting and writing consultation. The quality of this company's written output is about to improve dramatically.
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast