+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Celebrating lesser-known holidays

Re: Celebrating lesser-known holidays

I would love a gig like that! If only to correct all their grammatical errors :-) (While I can write just about anything, my weakness is market-y stuff.)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't have a problem with "10 items or less" at the grocery store. Looking it up online, there are some people who say it's grammatically incorrect, others say it's ok. 10 items or fewer sounds odd to me so I'll stick to 10 or less.

Here's one article explaining why it's ok: “10 items or less” is just fine Motivated Grammar
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

My "go to" source is Grammar Girl, who wrote about fewer/less at Grammar Girl : Less Versus Fewer :: Quick and Dirty Tips . She has some exceptions, saying "it is customary to use the word less to describe time, money, and distance". (Which is why I am OK with "I have less than $10" and "I have to be there in less than 20 minutes".)

This, like how many spaces to leave after a period ;-), will be the source for continued discussions ;-)

(And "10 items or less" still makes me cringe, although I don't change where I shop because of it.)

I can allow for language change and for errors "going idiomatic." The pace of linguistic evolution is so fast now; education does not keep pace with written communication anymore. I don't know whether that's good or bad but it *does* make my work that much tougher.

This thread's really spun off-topic! Hmmmm...trying to think of a lesser-known holiday...yeah, I got nothin'.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12