+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Celebrating lesser-known holidays

Re: Celebrating lesser-known holidays

I would love a gig like that! If only to correct all their grammatical errors :-) (While I can write just about anything, my weakness is market-y stuff.)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't have a problem with "10 items or less" at the grocery store. Looking it up online, there are some people who say it's grammatically incorrect, others say it's ok. 10 items or fewer sounds odd to me so I'll stick to 10 or less.

Here's one article explaining why it's ok: “10 items or less” is just fine « Motivated Grammar
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Upcoming Pools: Dancing With the Stars 23, Project Runway 15, Survivor 33
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

My "go to" source is Grammar Girl, who wrote about fewer/less at Grammar Girl : Less Versus Fewer :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™. She has some exceptions, saying "it is customary to use the word less to describe time, money, and distance". (Which is why I am OK with "I have less than $10" and "I have to be there in less than 20 minutes".)

This, like how many spaces to leave after a period ;-), will be the source for continued discussions ;-)

(And "10 items or less" still makes me cringe, although I don't change where I shop because of it.)

I can allow for language change and for errors "going idiomatic." The pace of linguistic evolution is so fast now; education does not keep pace with written communication anymore. I don't know whether that's good or bad — but it *does* make my work that much tougher.

This thread's really spun off-topic! Hmmmm...trying to think of a lesser-known holiday...yeah, I got nothin'.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

National Donut Day is coming up! It's the first Friday in June, which is June 3rd this year. I haven't used my personal holiday yet so I've asked for that day off so I can spend the day getting my free donuts and relaxing at home.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Tomorrow is National Ice Cream Day. Here is a link which lists some deals for tomorrow.

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/15/10-national-ice-cream-day-deals-to-help-beat-the-heat/
    pikachu and momrek06 like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Tomorrow is National Ice Cream Day. Here is a link which lists some deals for tomorrow.

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/15/10-national-ice-cream-day-deals-to-help-beat-the-heat/
    Bumpity Bump....for the ice cream loves out there!

Ack! JosephD asked me to let him know when it's National Macaroni and Cheese Day and I dropped the ball. It was July 14th so I missed it!! I did tell him when it was so hopefully he remembered to celebrate it.

This Saturday (July 23rd) is National Hot Dog Day! I must plan a trip to the store to get hot dogs, buns, and chili to make chili cheese dogs (I already have cheddar cheese), plus root beer and ice cream to make floats. Hot-diggity dog!

Hot Fudge Sundae Day is July 25th. Finally something to look forward to on a Monday!

Last Sunday was Yellow Pig Day (celebrating a random pig on a random [#17] day). Anyone here familiar with that? It has a cult following from a long time ago.

No, I'm not familiar with Yellow Pig Day. Here's what I found about it doing a Google search:

Yellow Pig Day originated in the 1960s when two math students from Princeton spent a long time obsessively analysing the number 17. It seems that they went a little mad eventually, and decided to invent the concept of a yellow pig with 17 toes, 17 teeth, and so forth… Now Yellow Pig Day is an important part of the academic calendar, and is celebrated with cake, carols, parades and general revelry. The lore of 17-ness came about when people were surveyed on the question "pick a random number between 1 and 20", and the results were clustered around 17.
    So it sounds like the holiday has more to do with the number 17 than with pigs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast