+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cake or Pie?

Re: Cake or Pie?

Real cherry pie (not made from a can of cherry pie filling) is out of this world! When I had both growing in my garden and a commercial freezer in my basement, my favorite was "bluebarb" pie - blueberry and rhubarb. It is incredible! I froze rhubarb and blueberries in their seasons and had fresh rhubarb with frozen blueberries and fresh blueberries with frozen rhubarb. The flavor combination is hard to discribe, but really does it for me. By the way, rhubarb is really easy to freeze... just clean, cut into chunks with kitchen shears, and pop into a freezer bag.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love this no-bake pie in summer. It takes exactly 5 minutes to prepare. I use either a chocolate cookie crumb prepared crust or a graham cracker one.

I can never decide on my favorite flavor, but coffee yogurt in the chocolate crust is a big winner for me, topped with dark chocolate shavings.

8 oz (one small container) Cool Whip
    18 oz (three individual servings) yogurt, any flavor
    1 ready made pie crust

Blend the yogurt and Cool Whip together until smooth. Pour into crust. Top with the lid from the prepared crust and place in the freezer until firm.

Serves 8

You can add various flavorings if you want to be creative. I like the coffee (or chocolate) yogurt with a couple teaspoons of Kahlua.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Neither. I no longer like either of them.
    Fresh local seasonal fruit from the farmers' market, Greek-style plain yogurt drizzled with a bit of local honey and dusted with freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg. For a special treat, a square of dark dark dark chocolate with a glass of red (zinfandel- or cabernet-based blend).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I love this no-bake pie in summer. It takes exactly 5 minutes to prepare. I use either a chocolate cookie crumb prepared crust or a graham cracker one.

I can never decide on my favorite flavor, but coffee yogurt in the chocolate crust is a big winner for me, topped with dark chocolate shavings.

8 oz (one small container) Cool Whip
    18 oz (three individual servings) yogurt, any flavor
    1 ready made pie crust

Blend the yogurt and Cool Whip together until smooth. Pour into crust. Top with the lid from the prepared crust and place in the freezer until firm.

Serves 8

You can add various flavorings if you want to be creative. I like the coffee (or chocolate) yogurt with a couple teaspoons of Kahlua.
    Do you eat it frozen? It sounds great. Have you ever used blueberry or strawberry yogurt?
    I'm not a chocolate fan of any type: pie, cake, milk, ice cream, frosting, lattes, etc. so I'd have to go in a different direction. The coffee yogurt with Kahlua sounds great.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Neither. I no longer like either of them.
    Fresh local seasonal fruit from the farmers' market, Greek-style plain yogurt drizzled with a bit of local honey and dusted with freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg. For a special treat, a square of dark dark dark chocolate with a glass of red (zinfandel- or cabernet-based blend).
    There's a local (and tight-lipped) bakery that does a heavy-on-the-apples apple pie, which is delicious. But I usually leave most of the crust behind. The filling is mostly apples. I'd like to know what else they use. My guess is either lemon or lime juice, cinnamon for sure. Nutmeg, I think. A touch of local honey maybe, or maple (the real stuff) syrup?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

For those of you who love cakes (especially the batter taste) and brownies - I have the most delish recipe ever! It's called a Blondie Cake Brownie. I've tried it with a bunch of cake flavors now, but Yellow Cake is the best so far (Spice is a close second). You can mix in just about anything you think would taste good too. Here's the recipe. Plus its super easy!

cake batter blondies. | girl meets life.

cake batter blondies.

ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 – 1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
    1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)

directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cake mix and sprinkles in a large bowl, then mix in the oil and egg. Add the milk slowly just until the batter is combined – you want it to remain as dense as possible. Place better in a greased 88 pan or 8-inch cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or just until the edges turn golden. Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting because the gooey center needs to set. The result will be a decadent, cake-batter texture.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    For those of you who love cakes (especially the batter taste) and brownies - I have the most delish recipe ever! It's called a Blondie Cake Brownie. I've tried it with a bunch of cake flavors now, but Yellow Cake is the best so far (Spice is a close second). You can mix in just about anything you think would taste good too. Here's the recipe. Plus its super easy!

cake batter blondies. | girl meets life.

cake batter blondies.

ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
    1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)

directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cake mix and sprinkles in a large bowl, then mix in the oil and egg. Add the milk slowly just until the batter is combined you want it to remain as dense as possible. Place better in a greased 88 pan or 8-inch cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or just until the edges turn golden. Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting because the gooey center needs to set. The result will be a decadent, cake-batter texture.
    Sounds yummy & easy. My kind of recipe. Plus I like the whole blonde brownie idea.
    As a blondie myself, it sounds it's made for me.

I like these goodie recipe ideas all of you are giving.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Do you eat it frozen? It sounds great. Have you ever used blueberry or strawberry yogurt?
    I'm not a chocolate fan of any type: pie, cake, milk, ice cream, frosting, lattes, etc. so I'd have to go in a different direction. The coffee yogurt with Kahlua sounds great.
    I take it out of the freezer about a half hour - one hour before serviing. It has rich, mousse-like texture without being heavily caloric or sweet. You can use any yogurt you like, and I have used strawberry and blueberry. The only fruit yogurt I didn't like in it was lemon. Use a prepared graham cracker crust if you don't like chocolate. Either works.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234