+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cake or Pie?

Re: Cake or Pie?

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I've had friends do that to me with sushi. I've tried it a few times before and don't like it. One of my friends took me to her favorite sushi place when I visited her and had me try her favorite one and I about gagged so that cinched the deal for me. It's not that the sushi wasn't made right in my area. I just plain don't like it!

A sushi place in my area has a commercial where I guy who has never tried sushi is talking to a girl telling him about this sushi restaurant. At one point, the girl exclaims "Everybody loves sushi!", and I always think "NOT!" when I hear that part of the commercial.
    Off topic, I know, but I had no desire to ever even try sushi. A friend talked me into going to a sushi restaurant telling me that not all of it is raw & slimy. I could have the cooked type if I chose. I went grudgingly figuring: Only this one time. She then talked me into trying a few of her favorites. I loved them. Not enough to want to go for sushi every week, or every month for that matter, but occasionally as something different. Granted, she lives in a coastal area where the fish are very fresh & the restaurant makes everything from scratch.

Back to the cakes/pies. I'm always willing to at least try something even if I don't think I'll like it (chocolate pie anyone? ) You find out that things aren't so bad. Plus it doesn't insult the person who's foisting it on you.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Ah, but chocolate pie made from melted Hershey bars with almonds then folded into whipped cream and poured into a graham cracker crust then chilled is so much better and the icky chocolate pie made from pudding.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I forget if I already said this (bear with me like you would an elderly relative ) but when I get the hankering for pumpkin pie, I take a can of pumpkin, add molasses and pumpkin pie spice, heat in the microwave and eat without guilt. The molasses has iron and the pumpkin has vitamin A and it's delicious.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Off topic, I know, but I had no desire to ever even try sushi. A friend talked me into going to a sushi restaurant telling me that not all of it is raw & slimy. I could have the cooked type if I chose. I went grudgingly figuring: Only this one time. She then talked me into trying a few of her favorites. I loved them. Not enough to want to go for sushi every week, or every month for that matter, but occasionally as something different. Granted, she lives in a coastal area where the fish are very fresh & the restaurant makes everything from scratch.

Back to the cakes/pies. I'm always willing to at least try something even if I don't think I'll like it (chocolate pie anyone? ) You find out that things aren't so bad. Plus it doesn't insult the person who's foisting it on you.

If the foisters don't take the " no thank you" I openly say, "look I hate pie period end of story." They may go away insulted but I only get so many calories a day. I want to at least enjoy the calories I ingest. I've done that polite tasting of the pies enough to know that I really hate pies. I did polite tasting for years and sat in misery through it. If people are rude enough to not stop at "no thank you." I'm rude enough to openly insult them by not eating their food.

Side note I've never understood people's needs to foist foods on others. I had the same sushi experience. A polite "no thankyou" fell on deaf ears there. Got the "it's not so bad talk." Finally have to tell people look I have fish and seafood allergies. I get sick of saying that every single time it comes up because people can't understand a simple "no thank you."

I like the pumpkin pie filling idea up thread there. I sometimes will mix pumpkin and the spices together and cook it and then mix it with vanilla ice cream. I usually have cans of pureed pumpkin on hand for that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I forget if I already said this (bear with me like you would an elderly relative ) but when I get the hankering for pumpkin pie, I take a can of pumpkin, add molasses and pumpkin pie spice, heat in the microwave and eat without guilt. The molasses has iron and the pumpkin has vitamin A and it's delicious.
    What a great idea! And I wouldn't miss the crust nor dairy. I'll have to try that!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My favorite is kind of like cake: tiramisu.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Ah, but chocolate pie made from melted Hershey bars with almonds then folded into whipped cream and poured into a graham cracker crust then chilled is so much better and the icky chocolate pie made from pudding.
    Love the Hershey bar pie, especially in the summer!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

CAKE! Especially double dark chocolate with no berries or ice cream or whipped cream to mess it up.
    I don't like pie (exception being pumpkin)... though I will pick at the yummy crust parts if given a chance.

If someone could make a buttertart into an entire pie, I may convert.

Cake!

I am not a big fan of fruit fillings either, which makes me not a pie fan so much because the majority of pies are fruit filled. I don't like fruit in my cakes either. Chocolate is the best!
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I love fruit pies, especially berry ones. I really don't have a sweet tooth so I think the tartness of the fruit plays off the sweetness of the rest of the pie. I'm not much of a cake fan, unless I am really hungry. I can always skip it, but show up with a blueberry or cherry pie and I'm a goner.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast