+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The cookie jar

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The cookie jar

I had cookies on my mind while driving home for lunch today and figured there was enough to discuss about them for a whole thread.

First of all, do you have a cookie jar and do you mostly keep it full?

Second, what are your favorite cookies to make or buy?

Third, what tips do you have for making cookies, what techniques do you use?

I don't have a cookie jar. Since I live alone, I mostly make cookies for events and store any leftovers I bring home in plastic bags. When I get goodies in tins (like from Swiss Colony), I save the container and use those to put cookies I'm making for gifts in.

The cookies I make most often are peanut butter, shortbread, sugar, and chocolate chip or cookies made with a variety of chips (chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch, etc.).

I prefer making cookies from mixes or, if the recipe is simple, from scratch. I never have liked refrigerated cookie rolls too much. They spread out and shape funny, they taste pretty bland, and they just seem like such a cop-out when good cookies can be made just as easily.

I would like to have a cookie spritz but since I don't, I most often make drop cookies. If I'm feeling lazy or have a lot of cookies to make, I'll make sheet cookies. I prefer drop cookies because the crisp edges are the best part and you don't get as much of that from pan cookies.

I'm a bit fussy with the shape of my cookies. I try to make them all about the same shape and size so they'll cook evenly. Often if a recipe calls for you to drop cookies by rounded teaspoons, I bump it up to an even tablespoon so I can press the dough into my tablespoon measure and level it off to make each cookie the same size.

I used to mix chocolate chips into the dough and then scoop it out to make the cookies but I hate it when the last batch or so ends up with practically no chips so recently I started scooping out the dough before adding the chios, then rolling the dough in chocolate chips and pressing the chips into the dough. That way each cookie gets a good amount of chips.

I almost forgot to mention my favorite bought cookies! I love Oreos, Nutter Butter, and Pepperidge Farms Verona cookies. Once in a great while I'll get Chips Ahoy or Lorna Doone shortbread cookies but since chocolate chip and shortbread cookies are so easy to make, I usually just make those myself. I don't have a favorite Girl Scout cookie anymore. When I was growing up, Samoas were by far my favorite but now I like several of their cookies about the same. They're all good!
    Last edited by pikachu; 05-09-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Re: The cookie jar

I don't have a cookie jar I just store mine in zip lock bags.

I personally like homeade cookies. I make no bakes, peanut butter, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin and sugar cookies. I found a recipe for lofthouse cookies and am wanting to try them out and see if they are as good as the ones you buy in the store.

My favorite store bought cookie probably oreo's. I like the chocolate covered graham cracker ones too.

I have a cookie scoop from Pampered Chef so it makes them all the same size every time. I was given a cookie press from Pampered Chef I need to try out.

When making the no bakes I always add about a tablespoon more mil than called for and use a little less than 3 cups oatmeal. Seems to make a cookie that isn't dry.
    I make sure I only cook it for only one minute.

I make shortbread cookies on special occasions. A pound of butter is a lot to use in a recipe.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I love baking cookies ...well pretty much all baking! I always make them from scratch and have built up a pretty solid list of go to recipes. I mostly make gingersnaps, mine always turn so chewy and delicious, it's probably what I get the most requests for of everything that I make. My boyfriend hates chocolate :o so I make a lot of sugar cookies too, they're probably my least favorite cookie of all time (both to make and eat lol) so I just make a big batch and toss half in the freezer. It's much better for me to have extra sugar cookies around the house than any other sweets, he can munch away and I'm not temped to join him! I used to make choc chip/double choc chip swirl cookies quite often and they're always a really good treat.

I don't have a cookie jar yet, I'd like a cute one but more for decoration. I don't think that I'd use it much cause I prefer my cookies moist and chewy and I feel like they'll dry out faster in a jar than in a Ziploc. On some recipes I switch half the white sugar for brown to help keep them softer but other than that I usually follow pretty closely. I don't really buy cookies at the store, although if I do it's usually Dad's Choc Chip Oatmeal or Viva Puffs ...someday I'll find a good recipe for choc marshmallow cookies but I'll never give up the Dad's!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My sister and I used to absolutely love fudge-striped cookies when we were little. We always had them at my grandmas house when we went for a visit. She'd serve them with a tall glass of milk with a curly straw and it was a little slice of heaven. However, as I've gotten older, I don't like fudge-striped cookies as much. I don't know if Keebler has changed their recipe or if it's just that my tastes have changed.

+ Reply to Thread