+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Easter 2012

Easter 2012

What are you making, if you're hosting?
    I'm doing a spiral ham, scalloped potatoes, corn casserole, Italian green beans with potatoes and bacon, assorted salads and bread. I could use ideas for another side dish.
    CYA

What's in your corn casserole? I need a new side and the thought of broccoli again makes me want to hurl (even though my kids love it).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Easter 2012

casserole.jpgYou might to try a pineapple casserole. Great with ham.

Country Pineapple Casserole Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

We always do that potato dish with the sour cream and green onions. YUM! Since it's just me for Easter, I don't think I'll be cooking a big meal. I am tempted to check out deals on hams at the grocery store. It doesn't feel like Easter without a ham!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Husband/daddy left on deployment 2 weeks ago to the Middle East (8 to 10 months) and he's the one who loves to cook big dinners around the house. We (the buddy and me) are going to make cupcakes and that's about it. But I do have a surprise Easter basket for him that dad put together before he left. He's 9 this year and is hyper-aware of the fact that he's growing up and only has so much time left for these things (according to him).

The husband loves to experiment, there is no telling what that man would have made if he were home this year. He spends weeks pouring over websites and cookbooks to try something new.

Growing up in Louisiana, we always made Cajun inspired dishes. Check this one out:

Cajun Corn Maque Choux Recipe | MyRecipes.com

It's more of a Thanksgiving dish but it's so tasty.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Your kids love broccoli? You must have done something right. I'm not a huge Paula Deen fan but I do make her corn casserole every Easter.
    Ingredients

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.
    CYA

Had to sign back in because I realized that I didn't respond to your post Harmony.
    Have a blessed holiday and I hope that your guy is back by your side soon.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555 View Post
    Your kids love broccoli? You must have done something right. I'm not a huge Paula Deen fan but I do make her corn casserole every Easter.
    Ingredients

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.
    Ha! I found that online yesterday! But it is apparently impossible to find corn muffin mix (also looked for cornbread mix, if such a thing exists) in north central Canada. So I'm using Stovetop cornbread stuffing instead. Keep your fingers crossed for my dish. Thanks Bunny.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My hubby is making moussaka for the first time I think he found the recipe in Food & Wine magazine?
    We don't do any of the tradional Easter food. Except maybe chocolate from Trader Joe's.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ham, mashed potatoes, baked beans and green beans.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast