+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How did you learn to cook?

Re: How did you learn to cook?

By reading recipes and following instructions. I probably asked my Mom about some things.
    inthegarden likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -
    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

https://www.facebook.com/paul.bischoff.12

I learned to cook through trial & error. I never had any interest in learning when I was young, thus didn't learn from my Mom.
    But her style was a lot like mine. She cooked out of need to feed the family nutritously, not out of any love of cooking or any need to impress with fancy recipes. Very basic but good.
    This drove the ex crazy. He felt all women should love to cook & should constantly be whipping up extravagant meals & lots of hommade goodies. I never had any interest in that.
    My food is/was good, nutritious & basic, but it wasn't going to impress anyone.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

My mom is a very good cook. She doesn't even need to use cook books. I learned to cook through watching cooking shows on tv.... and surprisingly to my family "mostly" everything I cook is really good. Now, if they only had tv shows on how to keep the kitchen clean while cooking... OMG... I am the messiest cook... EVER! I start of good by cleaning as I go, but somewhere along the line... it all goes VERY wrong... the mess is everywhere.

FORT Regular

It was kind of a process with my Mom who started teaching me at the age of 12 with simple things than it just went from there until I moved out in 2015.

I'm still learning. Every time my chef daughter comes to visit I learn more tricks. This time she was cutting raw corn off the cob into salads. So fresh! She also made a strawberry purée with a little water in her blender that she kept in the fridge that she would add to a glass of tap water for a strawberry " infused" drink. Also roasted mushrooms with grated garlic and shallots on everything. She introduced me to a kind of cheese that is very mild, comes in a ball, and oozes out an almost liquid center when you cut it. It starts with a "b" and I know where it is in the store. I'll pick some up and report back.
    Count your blessings!

Found it! It's called Burrata made by Gel Gioioso in the mozzarella section. The package description says, "Fresh mozzarella cheese filled with shreds of mozzarella soaked in cream". Can't wait to try it on a corn English muffin with a fresh tomato and a little fresh basil.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    Count your blessings!

That cheese sounds incredible. I've never heard of it before.

I learned to cook some things from my mom, and other things from my grandmother and great grandmother as a kid. Still, other things I learned from a few of my best friends. Some were a few years older than me and I watched them cook things when I would visit. I also watch a lot of tv cooking shows. I admit that I don't have much patience with recipes. I'd rather just eyeball things.

Lately, I've gained enough confidence to create my own creations with some basic knowledge and watching tv, reading, etc. I transformed a shrimp scampi into a chicken scampi on my own, and it has turned out to be a real favorite with my friends and family. I didn't follow a set recipe, but just used what I thought made sense and what flavors I wanted to feature.

My grandmother's parents owned an Inn with a restaurant in Denmark and she learned how to cook in the restaurant kitchen. My grandparents always had Sunday afternoon dinner for the extended family and I loved working in her kitchen with her. I'm an expert gravy maker with any type of roast!
    Lynda

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Did you learn mostly from being taught by a family member?
    Yes. Some things.

From reading cookbooks and experimenting with recipes?
    Yes, often.

From watching cooking shows on tv?
    Theoretically though more for tips, tricks, inspiration in that regard.

Something else?
    People on the internet sometimes teach me a new trick, especially about old school stuff. I have also worked for a restaurant.

Have you ever been to culinary school or taken cooking classes?
    Yes.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    My grandmother's parents owned an Inn with a restaurant in Denmark and she learned how to cook in the restaurant kitchen. My grandparents always had Sunday afternoon dinner for the extended family and I loved working in her kitchen with her. I'm an expert gravy maker with any type of roast!
    I need to come take cooking lessons from you! My grandma made the best pot roast and gravy but sadly did not transfer her skill to my mom or me. I asked her for her recipe a bunch of times and mine never came out as good as hers so one time when I was visiting, I watched her make it and she kept adding stuff she hadn't had in the recipe she gave me. She had beef stock AND beef bouillon AND bottled beef gravy. So much stuff! I'd love to be able to recreate her recipe.
    Punkin likes this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Upcoming Pools: Dancing With the Stars 23, Project Runway 15, Survivor 33
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast