+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How did you learn to cook?

Re: How did you learn to cook?

I love the idea of documenting your recipes for your family! I grew up around great cooks, but they all cooked by memory or instinct, and I never paid attention, so those dishes are lost for me. I have an uncle in his 70's who is still trying to get his fried chicken to "taste like momma's". He'll tell you he's getting close. Sort of along those lines - I've seen old handwritten recipes from family members matted and framed and hung in the kitchen... I think that's such a lovely idea.

I learned to cook in my 20's through studying cookbooks - Fannie Farmer is my fav; there is still very little that I make (20 years later) without following written instruction. But I do make a point to include my kids in the process, and it's fun even if it takes longer and makes more of a mess.
    The internet is my best resource for trying new recipes now - especially foodgawker because it usually links to someone's blog where you can follow step by step with pictures.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 02-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Fannie Farmer is my family's cooking bible, too! I got an updated Fannie Farmer cookbook when I moved out on my own but I still prefer to refer to my mom's FF cookbook, which I got after she died. No one in my family has written down and passed on recipes. I have the recipes I use printed out but I should make notations about the things I've changed or when I'm combining two recipes.

I save all my recipes in Evernote. (We have it installed on everyone's computer, plus our tablet, plus my Nook, and all of our mobile phones...we all use the same account). I can copy and paste from websites, and then I can edit them (because I always tweak).

Works great :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I save all my recipes in Evernote. (We have it installed on everyone's computer, plus our tablet, plus my Nook, and all of our mobile phones...we all use the same account). I can copy and paste from websites, and then I can edit them (because I always tweak).

Works great :-)
    That sounds GREAT! Will have to give it a try!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I was blessed to get my mom's recipes when she passed. We were looking through them the other day and I am going to make a book with all the favorites to give to the siblings lest they would maybe have a hankering to learn to cook. I have an old recipe book that has seen better days of hers and it has fantastic recipes in it. Nothing like them old recipe books.
    inthegarden likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I was blessed to get my mom's recipes when she passed. We were looking through them the other day and I am going to make a book with all the favorites to give to the siblings lest they would maybe have a hankering to learn to cook. I have an old recipe book that has seen better days of hers and it has fantastic recipes in it. Nothing like them old recipe books.
    I treasure my Mom's recipes written in her hand. Sure they're dog-eared and stained after all this time but they mean the world to me. I have a friend who is going through a divorce after 25 years because he has taken up with his assistant. She is making a recipe book for him of all his favorite dishes. God love her but I know I wouldn't be as kind.
    CYA

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Growing up in the South, I was lucky to have been surrounded by good cooks, both at home and in the community. I wasn't very interested in cooking because, I was too busy in outdoor adventures or tagging along with my Dad and... I always had to wash the dishes.
    Most of what I know, I learned by watching and listening to my mom and sister as I washed the many pots, pans and dishes that they used while cooking. I am still convinced that my sister purposely used extra dishes and I know she got a thrill from hearing my mom yell " FIRST, MIDDLE, LAST NAME... get back in this kitchen and rewash this dish, pot or pan."

When my sister left for college, to major in Food , I was promoted to prep chef. I would call my mom as soon as I came in from school and she would give me a list of ingredients I needed to prep for her for our supper. I did do some cooking, but mainly baked goods for school, friend or church parties.

I have a collection of cookbooks that my mom and sister have given me, they never gave up . Many are signed on the inside cover "Maybe one day you will use this cookbook, if not, you can read the recipes and remember the people that wrote the recipes". I do cherish those cookbooks and they are right, I do have many warm memories of the ladies who's recipes are in them. I have handwritten recipes from my grandmama, mom, sister, niece.
    Each year, my mom would make my sister and I copy recipes for her. Her explanation was that when we were older we would enjoy looking at our handwriting. She enjoys looking at them herself and we laugh about how terrible our writing was or remembering how mad we got and how stupid we thought is was.

I eventually became an okay cook or so I've been told. I like to read recipes and experiment with different ingredients. I love to bake. I love to watch food change during the prep and cooking process. Alton Brown and America's Test kitchen are my favorite programs as well as their magazine/ books.

But most importantly... Even though my mom and sister are better cooks than I am...I can wash dishes faster, better and can safety stack them higher than my older sister.

FORT Newbie

I learnt cooking from my mother when i was 14yrs old.

Peg
    FORT Newbie

I learned by working with professional chefs.

My dad was a chef and I learned from him. Problem is now I rarely use recipes for cooking. I'll use them if I bake (which is hardly ever) and when I make candy but pretty much never for cooking. So I'll whip something up and if people want to know how to make it I give them the ingredient list and send them off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast