+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How did you learn to cook?

Re: How did you learn to cook?

My mom taught me how to cook. I love to cook, one of my favorite things to do now as an adult. I loved when I was little, I remember begging my mom to teach me. I always wanted to be a housewife.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom and a control freak in the kitchen. I wasn't allowed to help. So I lost interest and didn't give it another thought until I was out on my own and single. Then my cooking rose to the level of frozen meals and take-out. I never really began cooking seriously until I got married. Trial and error, cookbooks, Better Homes & Gardens and Southern Living magazines, an ICS course in catering/food preparation, and lastly and most importantly <insert angel chorus> Food Network! Between watching that (and subsequent cooking channels) and exploring on the internet, I've developed quite a reputation for my cooking. My family is shocked
    chicagodiva likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

My mom was like yours, SugarMama. She was a great cook and a great gardener, but she didn't want us around to get in her hair. I went off on my own not knowing how to boil an egg. I was given a crockpot as a college graduation present that had a little recipe pamphlet with it. I learned how to make sweet and sour pork and made it on any occasion necessary. I also had an easy recipe for beer bread that I took to pot lucks, etc. I mostly ate easy things like salads, fruit, and rice. Gradually over the years, I picked up other favorite recipes, but I don't generally use a cookbook or watch cooking shows. My grandmother did teach me how to bake pies and a few other of her family recipes. I'm learning more from my daughter in culinary school when she's home on breaks than I've learned in the past 35 years on my own.
    Count your blessings!

You guys sound like you had the same cooking classes my mom had! My grandmother was the ONLY one allowed in her kitchen so when my mom got married at 20, she couldn't boil water. My poor father probably lost weight in those early days.

I don't ever recall anyone teaching me to cook. I learned by watching my mom and by following recipes and then just figuring out what ingredients worked together and which didn't. When I cook for myself, I rarely use a recipe unless it's something new. I'm not a great cook, but I'm pretty good and getting better.
    SugarMama likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I learned by watching my mom and by following recipes and then just figuring out what ingredients worked together and which didn't. When I cook for myself, I rarely use a recipe unless it's something new. I'm not a great cook, but I'm pretty good and getting better.
    Those are what I call "Cook Until Done" recipes. You just know what to do & how long to do it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Those are what I call "Cook Until Done" recipes. You just know what to do & how long to do it.
    Yep and it infuriated my father when he asks what I put in whatever dish. It's usually a pinch of this or "enough" of that. He's a retired engineer - he can follow a recipe like a house on fire, but he's not so good with approximations!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    My grandmother used to say that when I was trying to learn to cook - I'd be watching her and ask, "how long do you cook it?"

"Till it's done." That drove me crazy So, there I was a complete ignoramus in the kitchen, and I'm supposed to know that? Bless her heart, though.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I can say this...from my LACK of having been taught, I've made it a point to make a recipe card for everything I make that my family enjoys. I've got two full boxes, and one day I'll have to copy them or compile them into a book.

I got this idea because by the time I was married and trying to learn to cook, my grandmother and mother had passed away, taking their little secrets with them. NOTHING was written down! I could have cooked like them and gotten fat so much sooner if they'd written down their recipes.

So when I try something new, tweak it, etc., until my family loves it...I always ask, "Is it card worthy?" When they say yes, I make it, slip into a plastic sleeve, and file it in the box(es). It's a little effort now, but if I'm lying on my deathbed, I can rest assured that my family will appreciate the effort. (seriously, in the last week of my mother's life she dictated a recipe to me - the only one - and it's priceless).

Just food for thought.
    inthegarden likes this.

My daughters (and son) are as good or better in the kitchen as me. Well, duh, on the one in culinary school, but my pilot daughter has mastered all her favorite recipes I made that she likes (really, my repertoire is slim), tweaked them, discovered others, and is pretty good. My son likes simple things... chicken with rice, for example... no frills. Which is probably healthier. When my daughters cook they use butter, wine, cream, etc. My pilot daughter makes mashed potatoes with cream, sour cream (a LOT), butter, and roasted garlic. Yeah, it's incredible, but sheesh!!!! She didn't learn that from me.
    Oh, and my grandmother's recipes include measurements like, "a piece of butter the size of a walnut".
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    ...Oh, and my grandmother's recipes include measurements like, "a piece of butter the size of a walnut".
    In the shell or shelled?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast