+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

We are having a Christmas party next week. Husband is making homemade eggnog. The club is supplying turkey and pork tenderloin. Someone is making stuffing and corn casserole. I want to bring out the child like memories of Christmas. What is your favorite?
    You can do it!

Re: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

What a great topic, Lizard!

One thing I've always loved is a spiced cranberry percolator punch...I have the recipe, it's easy - warm and tasty..........with shortbread cookies. That's my personal favorite that always takes me back to my old family Christmases. The simplicity of the shortbread matched with the spiciness of the drink makes me feel cozy.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

One thing we only had on Christmas day: Pear and Pecan salad. There are probably lots of recipes on the web for this, but ours was nothing fancy. Mixed greens, halved pecans, chopped canned pears (but fresh would likely be better), crumbled feta, red wine vinegar dressing. What made it special for us is that Mom served it as a first course. Something that only happened on Christmas.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-02-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Lizard and Cootie like this.

When my mom makes rouladen and spaetzels! OMG! My mouth waters at the thought.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Without a doubt, mushroom pierogi.
    (not easy to find, except on my table)
    Shoepie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Shortbread cookies or cabbage rolls. My aunt makes the best shortbread and something she only does at Christmas. Melt in your mouth shortbread. Cabbage rolls are another thing that we only had at Christmas, made by my late grandma. Have never had any that were better than hers. My mom and I still make them, but they just aren't as good. Mind you, no one ever complains and there are never left overs. I even did a practice run and made some last month, eventually we will get them just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Shortbread cookies or cabbage rolls. My aunt makes the best shortbread and something she only does at Christmas. Melt in your mouth shortbread. Cabbage rolls are another thing that we only had at Christmas, made by my late grandma. Have never had any that were better than hers. My mom and I still make them, but they just aren't as good. Mind you, no one ever complains and there are never left overs. I even did a practice run and made some last month, eventually we will get them just perfect.
    Ahh, my beloved shortbread...and regarding cabbage rolls, do you use ginger snaps? My grandmother used them crumbled atop her cabbage rolls...yum!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    OMG -- golumki! Big-time yummy!
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    OMG -- golumki! Big-time yummy!
    OMG, I was just trying to remember what my mom called them. Halupkis? No! Golumkis!

I looked up golumpki. Mother use to do cabbage recipes. I might look into a vegan mixture. Anything veganized seems to taste like stuffing.

I love homemade shortbread. I have not made cookies in forever. Little wheels still spinning in my head.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast